View Full Version : UK's best bacon sarnie?

bar shaker
11th Feb 2004, 16:45
I have yet to find better than at Andrewsfield, although Sandown and the microlight field at Medway come very close.

Ignoring the quality of the field, the grumpiness of the controller and the price of the landing fee, where is your Best Bacon Sarnie?

Kolibear
11th Feb 2004, 17:28
The one I had at Gloucester was very tastefully presented, complete with a slice of orange, but really, barshaker, you should know by now that the best ones come from the Naafi in The Squadron at North Weald.

bar shaker
11th Feb 2004, 18:27
LOL, I have heard that your are right about NW. My problem is that every time I have been there, I have had something else on the menu.

Always very good food and a very friendly place to fly into :ok:

LowNSlow
11th Feb 2004, 18:31
It's a tie between Welshpool and Old Buckenham with Shipdham a very close second for me. Mmmmmmm lard :ok: :ok:

TonyHS
11th Feb 2004, 18:50
North Weald was good, but Stoke, Medway still gets my vote.

High Wing Drifter
11th Feb 2004, 18:56
A very Flyeresque thread if I may say so :p

AerBabe
11th Feb 2004, 20:06
Sleap.

kitekruncher
11th Feb 2004, 20:12
Na, to much fagash at the Squadron for my liking and soup Dragons rather fierce. Sarfend butties much better, nice doorstep fresh bread.

Carlise is best for sausauges....Dragons reasonably freindly to...

FaPoGai
12th Feb 2004, 01:33
If you wish to limit yourself to a sarnie thats your business.
However the best All Day Breakfast in the West is undoubtely .Henstridge.
Closely followed by the Shack at Alton station,but it is a little difficult getting a flying machine in there!

Crashondeck
12th Feb 2004, 04:10
Bagby.

Used to be able to order it on first contact with A/G.

Sadly the proper RT procedure for ordering a bacon sarnie has ever been published by the CAA.

DubTrub
12th Feb 2004, 06:30
Nottingham. Of the Tollerton variety.
[edited to define which Nottingham! Thanks, FFB]

fireflybob
12th Feb 2004, 09:26
DubTrub, I presume that's Nottingham as in Tollerton and not Nottingham Robin Hood East Midlands London International Airport?

In which I will second Nottingham (EGBN) - thoroughly recommend Joy Bells Cafe there for a bacon buttie and they also do an excellent breakfast - now Joy where's that £20 you promised me?.....

Hairyplane
12th Feb 2004, 12:01
2 goodun's for you pig fanciers -

1. Turweston. 'Turdy's' little cafe is worth a visit - run by members on a not for profit basis I believe. Excellent bacon sandwich.

But now.....

the very best of the bestest was, and hopefully still is - latest info please?? Is the one at Enstone.

Enstone? Nah! I hear you say - a bit of cake and a cuppa yes but pig???

Read on..!

On a monday - friday and, I believe Saturday until 1.00pm (ish) there was (and hopefully still is?) a portakabin-based lardie git cafe par-excellence.

Park down at the Eastern end of the field near the pumps and walk through the gate into the Industrial Estate - literally 3 or 4 minutes. Its tucked away up on the right there not far from the defunct Enstone Eagles Gliding Club @ the old Control Tower.

Cheeeeep or what because it is a transport cafe and we know what truckies like don't we?! Laaaaaaard!

THe best brekkie ever, black pudding, hash browns - the barkin' lot - served in a swirl of smoke, and complete with a mountain of bread and butter and a mug (probably a chipped one with a dirty slogan on it) of tea.

Luvvvvly! And all for tuppence ha'penny.

Please tell me its still there or am I living in the past?

HP

PFLsAgain
12th Feb 2004, 17:04
Another vote for Sleap.

Mmmmm bacon and brie :ok:

oli carley
12th Feb 2004, 18:48
sherburn in elmet all the way, fantastic!

In fact, gonna go make me self one now.

fernytickles
12th Feb 2004, 21:26
Aberdeen, in the industrial estate on the W side of the airport , beside the hotel (the one with ultra-thin walls), there was the best bacon butty van ever. At 6 o'clock in the morning you'd get a good 7 or 8 rashers of bacon in a fresh roll, plus anything else (sausage, egg) you wanted. Best start to the day anybody could want.

:D

Sadly, no one gets past the big M here :(

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Feb 2004, 23:12
Sleap gets my vote.

As an aside, I'm told that EGBS (Shobden) stands for Extra Great Big Sausages:) Must drop in there some time to try them.

SSD

BeauMan
13th Feb 2004, 00:44
Gotta be Netherthorpe. Coming up from darn sarf, you can't beat that Yorkshire hospitality and whopping great bacon roll. Even if my Yorkie mate does insist on calling a roll a barncake... :ok:

Zlin526
13th Feb 2004, 01:17
My all time bacon sarnie faves are:

1. Shobdon - Excellent, not much fat but went down well with some HP sauce... Unfortunately, I havent been back since 1999.

2. North Weald - Bit fatty, but good nonetheless. I always leave the Squadron with clothes smelling like a chip shop owner.....

3. Netherthorpe - Some good northern pig to be had here, as well as a good strong cuppa. Not for weak southern pansies..

4. Breighton - Another excellent breakfast. As a namby-pamby southerner, I stand out like a sore thumb here. My favourite eating stop 'oop north....regards to Brian and Taff.

5. Sherburn - Cracking munch, and top marks to the lovely lady behind the food counter who coped with much banter during last years air display

:ok:

Papa Charlie
13th Feb 2004, 05:51
BS
As per your other posting definately NOT at the Propellor Inn, Bembridge!

Actually Goodwood have served me a good one in the past. Also seem to remember a good one at Compton Abbas last summer.

Human Factor
13th Feb 2004, 06:35
Tatenhill isn't bad. Also do chilli. Otherwise, First Class as the sun comes up! :zzz:

Airbedane
13th Feb 2004, 14:46
I'm a great lover of the bacon and egg buttie, but not, I'm afraid, the variety made in cafes - the bacon and eggs need to be of the highest quality, you see.........

However, I have shared a few with Hairyplane at Old Warden in the past year or so, and they've not been too bad. From his post, they must be at least three on Hairy's scale, but they're pretty high on mine - freshly made to order, they are, complete with melted butter dribbling out the side...................I can taste 'em now.......Homer Simpson drooooooooooooool.............

PacmanUK
14th Feb 2004, 20:39
Leicester, although I would have to say that the full english or the breakfast baguette surpass these immensely.

Spiney Norman
14th Feb 2004, 22:02
I'm with Zlin on this one..Sue's Caff at Sherburn in your Hat is tops for the serious lard disciple. I'd also agree re-Leicester but keep getting caught out by the day,(days)? They don't do food! Netherthorpe was good last time I was in there too. It's a shame the Cafe at Sheffield has closed, allegedly, as they did the world's biggest Barm cakes, yes, it's barm! It was so big you could have put four poles under it and held a wedding reception! There are loads more but I can't go on due to, a) drool, and b) Am currently on a diet due to exceeding MTOW.

Spiney:ok:

PacmanUK
14th Feb 2004, 22:33
I'll help out Spiney, Leicester's catering services are not open at all on Mondays and I'm not sure what time they shut on the other days, but just give them a call (0116 259 2360) before you set off and they'll let you know. Also if you have a night rating, it's worth popping in on a Thursday night (more so in the summer) for the curry night, but again give them a call before and let them know that you are coming to guarantee to get a curry.

Happy eating all.

Spiney Norman
14th Feb 2004, 23:06
Thanks Pacman!
Glad to see Leicester is still a friendly place to visit. Being a PFA , day only, VFR type, the curry is a non-starter I'm afraid. I shall definately be visiting again, avoiding Mondays! It's actually my home town but I've lived away for 30 plus years. I visit to give relo's trips two or three times a year. The full english was, as you say, a temptation to coronary bypass that I couldn't refuse!

Spiney

Kolibear
16th Feb 2004, 04:19
A Quality Control Check on The Squadron's Bacon Sarnies this morning showed that they were up to their normal standards, even if my other favourite soup-dragon forgot to cook it. :O But at least I got out with clothes on - smelly or not! :)

Man-on-the-fence
16th Feb 2004, 05:58
HP

I will plan an investigation into the Enstone Lard, care to meet me there for brekkie one time?

Airbedane

I can vouch for the OW bacon and egg roll, however If I really start going for it I may not fit into may aircraft this year :E

Pink_aviator
16th Feb 2004, 06:18
BEST BACON BUTTY?

PINKSTERS highland beach house retreat.

Cooked on the floor of the AGA , and eaten on the sea shore looking at the porpoises swimming ,and the lenticular clouds over the Torridan mountains,

BEEEEEEEE UUUUUUUUU TE FUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLLL.

THE PINKSTER

muppethead
17th Feb 2004, 05:01
Along way to go for you boys n gals down south, but the best buttys got to be in Kirkwall, Orkney.

After flying over the sea, over a cliff on finals and land on a runway on the side of a small hill, you cant beat a bit of bacon!!!

Cheers, Mupp :ok:

Spiney Norman
17th Feb 2004, 06:57
Mupp..I'm really dissapointed now! Kirkwall is indeed a top place to fly into, but I didn't know they did a lard-related menu! Oh well! I'll just have to go again. Did Wick-Sumburgh a few years back and being in my 1947 aeroplane pulled by a 1946 Continental the butterflies in me tum were so active I couldn't trim out for level flight! The big shock was that Sumburgh only had one of those 'Brophy's Bar' things at the time with soggy brown bread sandwiches. You know, the sort that have those 'healthy whole grains'in. (AKA floor sweepings). Lerwick Tingwall was very friendly, no food there though, but there was a lovely overcast of frying pan smoke over the town itself so the day ended perfectly after all!

Spiney :ok:

rotorcraig
17th Feb 2004, 08:25
Leicester? Failed to get a cup of tea there, hadn't managed to get the cafe open by 11am Sunday??!!

RC

Edited by RC on 23/4/04 ... have been back to Leicester a couple of times since and had some great food. Must have been having a bad day!

camaro
17th Feb 2004, 15:18
Netherthorpe.

Next time you're there ask Paul the chef to do you a 'Fat Boy Special' breakfast - not for the faint/weak hearted. You can feel your arteries harden just looking at it!:ok:

big.al
17th Feb 2004, 16:51
Camaro - has the 'Fat Boy Special' been the cause of any of the a/c going through the hedge at the end of 24 or 36 due to exceeding Max TOW?

camaro
17th Feb 2004, 23:43
big.al

....highly likely....;)

Hairyplane
18th Feb 2004, 01:54
Man on The Fence,

Hello my friend - havent seen you for a while! The memory of our trip with Damien B also on board in the Hairyplane over the Thames Forts last summer is still making my bottie pout - spooky things or what?! I used to look out to them most days when I lived on Sheppey (and yes - I have checked out www.Sheppeyscum.com - great site!) and must confess to a few Forts- inspired ghostie nightmares as a saucepan lid.

Back to the Lardie Git Special @ Enstone. If they still do it, I'll meet you at OW (with DamienB naturally!) and we'll take the Hairyplane.

Check it out, let me know. Enstone Flying Club will have the gen. Simply ask them if the transport cafe on the industrial estate is still open. It will probably be a Sat.am so confirm that with them too.

Have you ever been Chester-bound and stopped at the Midway Truck Stop? Best breakfast in the universe? Well, the Enstone Cafe is a worthy second.

If its not open, well seek a pig elsewhere, courtesy of our fellow posters (and no - we aint going up to Sunburgh unless you pick up the fuel bill (I'll do the brekkies...)

Seriously though - we must do some more trips in the Hairyplane this season - you guys have got a sense of humour at least as dry and sarcastic as mine....

In fact, thats what like about you - you remind me of me...!!

VBR

HP

Man-on-the-fence
18th Feb 2004, 04:28
HP

I will do some investigation work and get back to you. :ok:

As it happens I bought my last car from Chester (crappy Nissan but bloody cheap) and stopped on the way back at said Truck Stop, cracking fry up and worlds best cuppa. Even the cook was the authentic type (fag end hanging out of the corner of his mouth).

Fly to a fry, sounds like fun. I shall be in touch. Will rope DB in as well.

Shall be at OW this Saturday for the PPRuNe bash. May well road test the Bacon sarnies then.

MOTF

PS Bacon sarnies at White Waltham are ace as well.

DamienB
18th Feb 2004, 05:04
Did somebody say free food? :E

READY MESSAGE
19th Feb 2004, 05:57
With all these airfields up and down the land all providing it own menu a la grease, i think we need to standardise our findings somehow. We all have our own opinions, we are inevitabley bias and let's be honest - this thread could run into hundreds of pages and take years.

I suggest over the summer flying season of 2004, as a trial, we should dispense with the usual 'Fly In' idea and rebrand it as a 'FRY IN'

What do you reckon?

Oh, for the record, and in no particular order, some of the best grease I have come across was located at Welshpool, Sleap, Cranfield (Cafe Pacific), Caernarfon and Sherburn. I've got my medical in a few weeks, don't tell the doc!!

Spiney Norman
20th Feb 2004, 00:38
Sounds like a great idea RM. You could even have a (grease) Spot landing competion, (groan)..... Went to Leicester today and they were frying. The Bacon was of an excellent quality, minor dissapointment was the sauce now only comes in those satchet things instead of bottles! I think rectifying this abomination must be a job for the committee..Or perhaps pacmanUK has the 'force'?

Spiney :ok:

nosewheelfirst
21st Feb 2004, 00:27
The Horn, 15mins from Dundee. Would stop there all the time on the way to/from my flying lessons. MMMmmmmmm. I'm feeling very hungry now.

Nosey:ok:

360BakTrak
22nd Feb 2004, 00:13
Not quite a Sarnie but the best all day breakfast I've ever had was at the Wellesbourne Mountford cafe the other day. A bargain at £4.40 and enough to feed more than 2 people at least! (Unless you eat like a horse!):ok:

SuperOwl
22nd Feb 2004, 06:54
OK, its not at an airfield but I remember a 24 hour transport cafe on the A5 between Cannock and Telford where one could pull in at 2am and get the best breakfast. I can taste it now, the bacon, sausage, tomatoes, black pudding, mushrooms, brown sauce, toast and a huge mug of tea for £4.

Oh, their bacon sarnies were out of this world at 2am. Especially the bacon, egg, black pudding and brown sauce variety. Magic!:ok:

Negative 'G'
22nd Feb 2004, 21:22
Ah yes Superowl I know it well, the said establishment has been responsible for me losing few but gaining many pounds at the same time over the years:D which adds up to being a good investment in my eyes !
If I'm not mistaken its not too far away from the lovely Microlight strip at Otherton just next to the M6, I'm sure there'd be a well trodden footpath between the two !

Errrrrr no ones mentioned Sandtoft, or are their awesome breakfasts just taken for granted ?

Neg G :D

Malcolm G O Payne
22nd Feb 2004, 21:59
I'm pleased Wellesbourne is remembered. We're always pleased to see visitors, but remember that the Touch Down Inn shuts at 1700 local.

Malcolm G O Payne
22nd Feb 2004, 21:59
I'm pleased Wellesbourne is remembered. We're always pleased to see visitors, but remember that the Touch Down Inn shuts at 1700 local.

READY MESSAGE
26th Feb 2004, 02:22
I arrived at Welshpool the other day in need of a bacon sarnie to find....nothing......the canteen hostess had been replaced with a vending machine. Nothing to induce a heart attack at all. Just a cup of tea. Talk about disappointed.

We left, onward to Caernarfon where we found lots of artery blocking fayre!! The All Day Breakfast.....splendid......

Come on Welshpool, you were known for the best bacon sarnies around - get back to it. Well done to Caenarfon for stepping in at the last minute!

--o-o-0-o-o--
26th Feb 2004, 07:44
Best piggie sarnie.......1st Netherthorpe, 2nd Sandtoft, 3rd Sherburn....in my humble opinion. :ok:

Manc
21st Apr 2004, 01:50
Another vote for Sleap... Egg and bacon butty - toasted white bread obviously. From personal experience it can be a bit messy to eat in flight so get some napkins :)

strake
21st Apr 2004, 08:54
My Dear Chap.

Best bacon sandwich at an airfield is the First Class lounge at T4 Heathrow......half a baguette, three rashers, choice of brown sauce or ketchup and all served to your chair on a nice tray.

S-Works
21st Apr 2004, 09:25
Personally I never find the BA 1st lounge that good. Now the Virgin one is pretty damn good.

I could do a review of all of the 1st class lounges in the world I have visited! The curse of business travel.

Blind lemon
23rd Apr 2004, 14:37
Wellsbourne or Connington get my votes

Jeffrey S
24th Apr 2004, 08:48
The best swine sarnie i've ever had is a toss-up between:

Sleap
Ha'penny Green's High Flyer Café.

Topped with Brown Sauce.

MMMM!:ok:

fireflybob
15th Jul 2004, 21:14
If you want to go slightly more up market than the bacon sarnie the new indian curry restaurant has just opened at Nottingham (thats EGBN or Tollerton, by the way, NOT EMA!) and it is really fab.

They have done a complete refurb of the inside of the old Tiger Moth pub on the airfield and the food and prices are excellent.

Well worth a trip out - they are open for Sunday lunch also!

rotorcraig
14th Aug 2004, 17:05
Unfortunately not Coventry ... flew in today and found GA terminal to be a shadow of it's former self.

Either a coffee out of a machine, or nothing these days :(

RC