View Full Version : Newbury racecourse

mikeo
10th Feb 2004, 05:33
Has anyone who has flown to Newbury racecourse got any information / tips. I've been asked by some friends if I could take them to Newbury on one of the racedays.

I called Newbury racecourse and they confirmed that they have a 830 metre landing strip (unlicenced) which is available on racedays.

Thanks

Irv
10th Feb 2004, 05:42
The IBM Flying Club (http://www.flyibm.com/) have been there at least once, may twice and had a good day - contact the chairman Dave.
Main problem I'm told is the one way in, other way out, so you need the right wind, and also, I'm told, spotting the runway with all the golf bunkers around is difficult unless you are already lined up with it. .

WorkingHard
10th Feb 2004, 15:02
Been in there many times. No problems at all. No different to any other grass strip. Just be careful that YOU choose the most suitable take off runway and not be "peruaded" because of noise abatement.

ToryBoy
10th Feb 2004, 16:05
I have also been in there on quite a few occasions.

Please be careful though. You are told that you MUST land on rway 25 and depart on 07. On a day that has even the slightest westerly this makes things interesting especially if you are well loaded up. This is NOT to be attempted with a Warrior, 3 pax and any serious quantity of fuel. I have seen someone nearly meet their maker at the trees on the eastern edge when they were departing.

The strip is nice and long and it is quite difficult to pick out, even on a 2 mile final. There is a good bump half way along and various bunkers and hedges that are quite off putting too.

Don't wish to put you off but it will test you to your limits if the wind is at all up.

Ideally, a calm day or a cross wind will be your best option.

PM me if you want

Oh and don't forget to find out the details from the race course about times for arrival and departure. They are quite strict about a/c movements within 30 minutes of the horses being anywhere near the course.

You will also have the biggest audience you will have ever had so make sure it's a greaser when you land or you'll have to avoid the bar for fear of any comments!:ok:

When you park you will be very near to the car parking area and people seem to insist on having a good nose around the a/c. Don't do what I did when I left though! Someone made a sarcastic comment about "rich flying playboy's" as I walked back to the plane. They were having a picnic from the back of their car on a beautifully set up table, chairs, table cloth and silver service.

The comment annoyed me so much that I decided to make my power checks about 15 yards in front of his little gathering. When I had finished I turned the a/c round to line up and they were all picking their food, table cloth and champagne glasses up from the floor.

:E :E :E :E

Daifly
10th Feb 2004, 21:22
:ok:

Nice one ToryBoy!

mikeo
11th Feb 2004, 19:50
Thank you for the advise everyone. I got the instructions from the racecourse staff - I didn't like the land and depart in opposite directions! As you say OK if a cross wind or light.

ToryBoy - nice one :E

Current forecast via BBC is FOG - :(

Will let you know how it went if I get there.

ToryBoy
12th Feb 2004, 00:17
Are you going in this weekend?

If so I called my fave weather forecaster and they said the weekend is sunny with wind at 4 kts and from the North. Perfect for Newbury.

I also saw the fog forecast on the BBC website and conveniently chose to ignore it as "wrong"!!!!