View Full Version : seperation in convoy?

Aerofoil
9th Feb 2004, 06:19
hi

I was wondering if someone could clear something up for me?

If lets say for instance me and a friend were to go to Florida to do our hour building and we decided to fly to the same destination in convoy/formation. What distance seperation MUST you keep from each other in flight (side by side). I seem to remember it was 500ft seperation.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Cheers

Dave

Genghis the Engineer
9th Feb 2004, 06:29
I'd say not less than 100ft unless you are formation trained, and not less than 30ft unless you are very sharp.

Formation is perfectly legal anywhere so long as the commanders have agreed in advance to do so.

If you are relatively low hours, 500ft is a sensible safe limit however.

G

Chilli Monster
9th Feb 2004, 06:30
There is no minimum separation distance specified.

If you fly in formation then you must both agree to it, brief the procedures you will fly (R/T, breakaway, airfield approach etc) and operate safely.

If you're not in formation but are close to each other then the rules are you must not fly so close to the other aircraft so as make the pilot of the other aircraft feel he and his aircraft were endangered. Again - something to agree with your flying partner.

360BakTrak
9th Feb 2004, 16:10
smoke on.................GO!:ooh:

FWA NATCA
10th Feb 2004, 02:16
Aerofoil,

For formation flying, which is basically what you want to do, I would recommend that you remain within a mile or less from each other.

Normally when you are receiving radar service (VFR advisories or IFR) the lead aircraft is given a transponder code to squawk, and this aircraft talks for both aircraft. The second aircraft would either have their transponder on standby or OFF, and not acknowledge any instructions unless specifically requested by ATC.

You would contact ground, tell the controller that you are a flight of two, and request to taxi to the active runway. After both of you complete your runups you contact the tower and again, state your call sign and that you are a flight of two (what ever aircraft type) and are ready for departure.

When you are cleared for takeoff your buddy just follows you onto the runway and departs behind you (I recommend he not start his take off roll until you are airborne). Your buddy then stays as close as he feels comfortable (within a mile or less), and follows you to your destination.

As you progress along your route he changes frequencies when you are instructed (it's important that he monitors the frequency just in case you miss something or there is a problem).

We encounter groups of pilots departing together every weekend as they fly together going somewhere for breakfast or a luncheon.

Mike
NATCA FWA