View Full Version : R/t

WelshFlyer
7th Feb 2004, 22:05
Here's a bit of a question - I know it's probably in CAP but it's tedious reading that blasted thing, and it takes an age to download.

I was under the impression that you had to pass your R/T exam before you could solo. But in the PPL confuser (Air Law) it says that you don't need to have an R/T licence before you solo.

Could anyone clarify?

WF.

Saab Dastard
7th Feb 2004, 22:43
The confuser is right.

Rupert S
7th Feb 2004, 22:45
by law, all you need to solo is a valid medical and your instructor's consent. Most clubs require you to have passed your air law exam. I've never heard of having to pass an R/T exam. The ANO should state somewhere that a student pilot may operate the radio without a licence for the duration of the training, after which a radio licence is required.

WelshFlyer
8th Feb 2004, 01:09

Wf.

Kentish Lad
8th Feb 2004, 01:10
Yup, confuser correct. When you're solo, you're effectively operating under your instructor's FRTOL licence.

John

Noggin
8th Feb 2004, 02:28
"you're effectively operating under your instructor's FRTOL licence."

No! The student pilot is exempt from the requirement to hold a FRTOL under Article 21 (2) (a) (ii) as a person being trained in an aircraft registered in the United Kingdom to perform duties as a member of the flight crew of an aircraft.

The FRTOL is not a mandatory requirement for a PPL however, PPL training does include use of the radio and being able to operate the radio is an essential part of the JAA Skill Test. If you have got to learn how to use it, including passing the written exam you may as well complete the FRTOL qualification at the same time.

ACW 335
9th Feb 2004, 03:38
You would think that by first solo time most studes were capable of giving the appropriate departure and circuit calls (or at least you would hope so!) anway. Air law isnt a rquirement either. I took my airlaw after my first solo. A lot of peopl ar under the impression its a rule. A friend of mine also thought it was mandatory to have passed your navigation exam before your first solo off circuit :ugh:

Gertrude the Wombat
9th Feb 2004, 04:11
A friend of mine also thought it was mandatory to have passed your navigation exam before your first solo off circuit

So it may well have been for them. Clubs/schools can make any such rules they like in addition to the legal requirements; if you don't like them you can go and learn somewhere else.