PDA

View Full Version : Visiting an ATC unit before second stage interviews.

Scuzi
7th Feb 2004, 18:35
I just got my letter back from NATS, inviting me to the second stage interviews on 3rd March. I have read in various places that it is recommended to visit an ATC unit before sitting the interviews but the letter did not suggest a visit.

Should I arrange a visit anyway? I'm sure the folk at Aldergrove wouldn't mind me hanging around for a day!:D

Many thanks.

Barnaby the Bear
7th Feb 2004, 21:03
When I had my interview, quite a large part with personnel was motivation. They did ask if I had visited any units.
I should get on the phone.

Good luck with the interview.:ok:

Middle Earth
7th Feb 2004, 22:32
I agree, make the effort and visit a unit. It shows that you are motivated. Also if you are borderline at the interview it may just make the difference.

Good luck !!!!:ok:

HarryBucket
7th Feb 2004, 22:49
Maybe a little difficult with being across the water, but if you do get the chance, try to visit a centre as well, maybe SCATCC (Easy jet flights relatively cheap). If not a centre try to visit more than one Unit, it can't hurt.

mr.777
8th Feb 2004, 00:31
I visited no fewer than 4 units before my interview!! This might be considered excessive (as well as brown-nosing;) ) but there were 2 reasons;
1) Thought it would show the interviewer that I was suitably motivated
2) I wanted to be as prepared as humanly possible.
You obviously don't need to be this enthusiastic but you should visit at least 1 as they will be looking to ask you questions about what you saw when you were there...if they don't have anything to ask you,won't look too good I imagine.
As someone else suggested,try and visit a centre and tower.I found the visits really helped me to convert what I'd read into "real-life".
Good luck!!

P.s get the ABC of ATC by Graham Duke...very useful and quite easy to understand

with alacrity
8th Feb 2004, 00:38
Hi Scuzi,

check your PM's

Good Luck.

aaaabbbbcccc1111
8th Feb 2004, 04:11
I would suggest you visit as many as possible. When I told my interviewer I had visited 4, it created a positive responce.

I managed to get a visit to Swanwick, West drayton and two small airports not run by NATS.

I am in Plymouth, so obviously it cost me money to make those visits, but who knows it may have swayed the interview in my favour, as I was succesful.

GOOD LUCK.

I have know idea when I will be on course. Reading some of the negative posts in these forums it will be never. Maybe we will be on the same course??

Scuzi
8th Feb 2004, 07:07
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to arrange a visit to the tower at Aldergrove and if possible, a visit to one of the ACC's. If possible could someone PM me a contact for either Prestwick or Swanwick to arrange a visit? Prestwick would be handier as it's only a stones throw away so to speak and I was planning a flight in that general direction anyway.

Thanks. :)

Scuzi
10th Feb 2004, 06:28
I've arranged a visit to Aldergrove with a date yet to be confirmed. I think they are going to get the lot of us in, in one go.
I haven't a clue who to contact about a visit to ScATCC. Does anyone have any contact information?

Thanks!

Mowers
11th Feb 2004, 18:00
Enjoy the trip to Aldergrove, I was there on OJT (On The Job Training) during November and December 2002 and it was a great place to visit. Everyone there is patient (well they had to be with me!!) and willing to help you out.

Just watch out for Mrs Dempster... she bites!!!!

Good luck with your applications, it all seems a very long drawn out process but it is all worth it!!