PDA

View Full Version : hours of work?

zoeaviate
7th Feb 2004, 17:33
I was speaking to a gentleman that was a controller at Kerry Airport in south west Ireland. As we got chatting he said to me he worked a 11 hour shift on his own and thought this was totally illegel!!

He said that apparently the IAA have no regulations on the maximum hours a controller must work before a break of some kind has to be taken.

As i work as a FISO and governed by the CAA i said i would check what rules apply in the U.K. on this matter.

So can anybody tell me what is the max hours of work before you have totake a break if you are full ATC and what publication i could find this in?

If anybody could also tell me if there is any publications from the IAA on this subject.

Many thanks,

Zoe.:D

matspart3
7th Feb 2004, 17:48
The Scheme for Regulation of Hours of Civil ATCO's in the UK (SRATCOH) can be found here: -

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/Cap670.pdf

Part D, Annex C
enjoy.....

Barnaby the Bear
7th Feb 2004, 19:27
In some cases the SRATCOH hours maybe adjusted depending on how busy or quiet a unit is, and subject to permission from the CAA. But this is extremely unlikely to be beyond 4hours on watch without a break.
Basic rule of thumb:- for every hour on duty, you must take 15mins break.
I.e 2 hours on 1/2 hour break etc.

Squadgy
22nd Feb 2004, 20:50
zoeaviate,

SCRATCOH dosen't cover FISO duties,just full ATC, so you could find yourself working an equally long shift .

Squadgy