PDA

View Full Version : Ba Cx

matblack
7th Feb 2004, 06:10
With all of the apparrent issues with the industrial relations of this airline at present does that have any safety implications? I ask the question as I will be using the service a couple of times next week and I'm concerned that with such deep rooted resentment between both management and employees it may prove to be a distraction.

Carnage Matey!
7th Feb 2004, 06:51
Short answer - no.

Captain Stable
7th Feb 2004, 17:34
matblack, a very good question.

Simple answer is yes.

Poor industrial relations do affect flight safety. People (even highly-qualified professionals) can get distracted. When they get into work to check in for a flight, they can find the latest bulleting from either the company or the union in their internal mail, and can get annoyed or distracted by that.

Relations between pilots can become more difficult during a period of industrial unrest. Some can get very heated indeed. The BEA Trident that crashed into Staines reservoir is a case in point. That day in the crewroom, his FO had been a witness to his captain's tirade against "anti-company" pilots.

As Blue Eagle says, the pilots are just as anxious to get home safely as you are, but they can get distracted and stressed by such matters.

All day breakfast
15th Feb 2004, 16:27
Personally I would have to say no.
When I walk in to the crewroom and report for a duty I am there to do a job, part of which is to ensure the safety of everybody on board the aircraft. Maybe I have a too compartmentalised mind, but when at work everything else gets left at home.