PDA

View Full Version : Adding ratings to your ppl (SE)

muck-savage
6th Feb 2004, 22:00
Hi
This might have been covered already but the search facility is disabled,

I have a uk ppl single engine , I rang the caa and asked them can I add a multi + multi ir rating to it which I would complete in spain which would give me a spanish jar multi + multi ir.

They said no way , you have to do the ratings in a uk approved school as your ppl is uk.

I was under the influence that you could do your ad on ratings anywhere !!!

Help please as I am in a fecking awful mess .

pa28biggles
6th Feb 2004, 22:44
muck-savage,
I'm 99.9% sure that you can take the IR in Spain. I am going to do mine their. Here's the evidence.
From the CAA:
"Training for the Instrument Rating IR(A) must be in accordance with JAR-FCL 1. Training may be undertaken in a non-JAA state provided that the training organisation is fully approved in accordance with JAR-FCL 1 by the CAA, or, any other JAA State recommended for mutual recognition by the JAA."

From a Spanish FTO:
"Entry Requirements for IR/ME:
-Hold a current PPL or CPL
-Hold a JAA Class I Medical Certificate for CPL pilots
-Have previously passed ATPL (Frozen) Theoretical Knowledge Examinations (in any JAR state)
-Hold a JAA Class II Medical Certificate for PPL pilots with Class I audiogram testing
-Have a least 50 flight hours experience cross country"

FlyingForFun
6th Feb 2004, 22:50
Muck,

Do you have a JAR license, or a CAA (pre-JAR) license? I believe that will make a difference to the answer...

FFF
-------------

muck-savage
7th Feb 2004, 02:31
I have a jar ppl and want to add a spanish multi + multi ir

pa28biggles
7th Feb 2004, 15:30
muck-savage,
The 'rules' on licencing are here http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/LASORS.PDF
I am sure that you will be able to take the IR/Multi in Spain. Remember, you are adding a JAR ME rating and an IR(ME), not a Spanish ME and IR(ME). This may have been why the CAA said no :confused: I'd give the CAA another call :)

muck-savage
7th Feb 2004, 19:41
Thanks for all your help :ok: