Those attending are a split between PPRuNers and FLYER Forumites;

DuncanF
Tall_guy_in_a_152
Aim Far
Penguina
Adam
NeilArmstrong x 2
3 Oldies + Johnny

Thank you for all those who expressed an interest. I will organise another session in a few weeks and will be in touch.

Those that are attending, please be at LTCC Reception BY 19:00. Any last minute problems then you can possibly get hold of me on 01895 426422, on the night.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
6th Feb 2004, 22:33
Looking forward to it. See you there.

TG.

Aim Far
6th Feb 2004, 23:21
TC-LTN

Thanks for arranging this. Looking forward to meeting you on Monday.

Can I just check that this is the place in Porters Way, West Drayton? Is it pretty obvious to find when you get close?

[Thinks] goodness, he needs help from ATC even on the ground:O

TC_LTN
9th Feb 2004, 03:28
Directions to LTCC (http://www.jhs.flyer.co.uk/LTCC.JPG)

See you tomorrow.

Please remember to bring some ID with you.

Tall_guy_in_a_152
10th Feb 2004, 06:57
TC_LTN

Thank you very much for the effort you put into organising tonights visit. It was enjoyable, interesting AND useful. Please pass on my thanks to your colleagues in D & D and the Ops room.

Too tired to comment further now, but will file a PIREP later in the week if no-one else does first (go on Penguina, you know you want to).

TG.

PPRuNe Radar
10th Feb 2004, 07:21
And for those readers up in the wilds of Scotland ..... why not express your interest for this visit ??

Scottish ATC Visit (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=116413)

TC_LTN
10th Feb 2004, 15:08
I was a great pleasure to meet the PPRuNers / FLYER Forumites who joined us last night at LTCC. You caught us on a particularly busy evening for TC Essex and TC Luton but I hope you got at least a basic understanding of what goes on in the North of the LTMA. I am sure, as D&D Virgins, you will have found that part of the trip enlightening.

Thanks again for coming.

Aim Far
10th Feb 2004, 17:47
TC-LTN and Tony

Thanks for organising a very interesting visit to West Drayton and for putting in the time to explain the controllers' view on life. As you said last night, the policy message is not necessarily what we want to hear but at least I now have a better understanding of it and understand where the controllers who have to implement the policy are coming from.

I look forward to speaking to you from the Stansted overhead ;)

Thanks again

AF

Penguina
11th Feb 2004, 00:42
OK, well firstly let me reiterate what I said last night, that the evening was really interesting from start to finish and I'm so grateful that I was invited to go. I'm hoping to go back and learn some more.

OK, now PIREP while the boss is out of the room (you'll get me disciplined, Tall_Guy_in_a_Fuji!)...

TC_LTN turned up looking a little frazzled and apologised that we'd managed to arrange a visit on a very busy day for them (goody, thinks Penguina, hoping to see them strut their stuff chatting rapidly with the little blips all over the place :D).

The first part of the evening was a bit of chat and some slides with TC and his colleague, who presents at a lot of the CAA safety evenings and is used to GA liaison. They talked a little about the various roles they have, especially with reference to that Luton/Stansted thread (they are the same controllers, but Stansted is much busier) and what their responsibilities and those of the pilots are, plus their priorities.

We also discussed where GA fits in - including a very unnerving replay of an incident involving an unidentified GA squawk. The airspace, involving the 'stubs' that are uncontrolled below a certain height definitely requires a) accuracy and b) as much conspicuousness as possible on the part of the private pilot. I was rather surprised to hear that generally controllers prefer you to call if you're close, even if you are squawking mode C and they’re clearly working their socks off.

We then divided into 2 groups – I went first to see a bit of live action on the radar screen while listening to the R/T and getting a running commentary.

TC made the point very clearly about why providing services to GA is not compatible with controlling, as he turned an Easy flight onto final at Luton and then an American bizjet, while dealing with a police helicopter traversing the zone. He pointed out that he has a 5 second window to give the instruction before the airliner overshoots his base and goes hurtling off in the wrong direction, shortly to leave the control zone altogether. Unsurprisingly, he doesn’t want to have to be doing anything else at this point.

We then swapped and my group went into D&D, which was a cosy little room at the top staffed by two military controllers and some beautiful fish. They cover a very large area and deal not only with the emergencies, pans, training fixes(!) and things that we all know about, but also act as kind of ‘incident detectives’, drawing together information to deal with situations, help analyse where missing people have gone, etc.

Auto-triangulation is done on this big white screen-y thing with lasers behind it, which displays the direction to the receiver of each signal picked up in a transmission. Each receiver has a button on a big Toblerone. Hope I’ve explained that clearly.

We had a couple of transmissions while we were there, one a mistake, one also probably a mistake, though we never found out who it was. The effects very impressive – within 3 seconds of this poor bloke most likely accidentally switching to comm 2 and touching the transmit button (in my imagination, anyway!) it was ‘aircraft 6 miles south of Ludlow transmitting on 121.5, D&D, can we provide you with any assistance?’.

Finally, we all regrouped to discuss the issues once more (Penguina yawning discreetly in the corner wishing she could keep up but beginning to feel pleasantly sleepy) before going our separate ways as the night shift began to show up with their jimjams and sleeping bags. :)

If I’ve missed anything out, do tell me. I would definitely recommend anyone going to do the same – apart from anything else, the people are extremely friendly and seem genuinely enthusiastic about showing you their world. :cool:

EyesToTheSkies
11th Feb 2004, 03:26
Blimey, Penguina!

What more can I say but to offer my thanks to TC_LTN & TM for a very informative evening. I'm just glad none of us had to answer that red phone........

Mr. & Mrs. EyesToTheSkies

DuncanF
11th Feb 2004, 06:57
Just to add my thanks to TC_LTN and Tony for a fascinating evening. Penguina sums it up remarkably although I'm dead jealous about the bell and whistles going off in D&D during her visit!

And checking with my (experienced) pilot friends today, none of them knew about 0030 (FIR Fix squawk) or four PTT's on frequency when R/T voice negative to get the cavalry on board. It's good to learn!

Duncan

DubTrub
11th Feb 2004, 07:27
I'm glad that those of you who have posted enjoyed the experience.

I am equally sure you all gained something, as I did when shortly after a visit to West Drayton a few years ago, I was in need of the services of D&D. Although I was sure I was not speaking to the same people I met a few weeks previously, it was nice to imagine a face behind the voice, and to imagine the actions they were undertaking on my behalf. The fact that I understood a little of what they did, and the professionalism with which they undertook their roles helped me during my emergency.

I would recommend to all pilots, of whatever qualification, that they endeavour to make a similar visit to LATCC (or ScOACC, as appropriate).

DT.
p.s. I think I'd like to go again...when's the next one?

Tall_guy_in_a_152
11th Feb 2004, 19:30
I'm dead jealous about the bell and whistles going off in D&D during her visit!

But Duncan, at least the phone rang (twice) during our turn in D&D. I thought their reaction to that buzzer was quite dramatic.:p

They could teach most call-centres a thing or two about answering the phone.

TG