PDA

View Full Version : ATC Question

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Feb 2004, 20:03
Ladies and Gents Air Traffic Controllers,

Just a quick question please. I am currently working on my CPL, and shortly the IR, and am curious about what actually goes on in terms of traffic flow through the various different ATC units.

When a flight is passing through a variety of different regions of airspace, how are the handovers done? For example, when the controller says 'G-ABCD, contact London now on 134.32' and the ATC unit changes, from say Heathrow Tower to Swannick or West Drayton (I am not sure how it is configured), how is the transaction made, is it by phone, or electronically through a computer network to the next controller?

Also do the ATC centres welcome visits from pilots who are interested to see what goes on in the air traffic control units? I personally would love to have an insight into what is actually happening at the other end on the VHF transmission I am making when chugging along in my light twin :).

Thank you in advance for any responses.

HarryBucket
6th Feb 2004, 20:25
CAT3C,

On the question of transfer of Control there are a couple of different ways in which this can be achieved.

In the case of the area sectors they ususally have standing agreements between sectors which removes the need for constant co-ordination with other controllers. Only if you are not going to achieve these standing agreements will co-ordination take place verbally (via phone or speaking to the guy next to you).

At the Airports when dealing with traffic in the local area, the majority of co-ordination with local units (airports) is usually done on the phone. Quite a simplistic answer to your question, others maybe able to elaborate.

When it comes to visits to ATC units, in my experience they would welcome you at most Airports (better off trying the regionals, not Heathrow). Not to sure about the Centres.

CAT3C AUTOLAND
6th Feb 2004, 20:31
Harry, thanks very much.

FlyingForFun
6th Feb 2004, 20:35
When it comes to visits to ATC units, in my experience they would welcome you at most Airports (better off trying the regionals, not Heathrow). Not to sure about the Centres.I've been fortunate enough to visit Heathrow, Gatwick, Swanick and West Drayton, so I'd disagree with your last paragraph, Harry, and suggest that Cat3C give them a call. (And a huge thank you to everyone who made my visits happen, by the way - I think most of the people involved are PPRuNers.)

FFF
--------------

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
7th Feb 2004, 00:09
The significant fact which has been omitted so far is reference to the Flight Plan. A/c operating between major airports will nearly always operate on a Flight Plan and all ATC units which will deal with the flight are made aware of the details of the flight in advance. Basically, the controller usually has a Flight Progress Strip - a small strip of paper in a holder - for each flight. An aircraft flying from Heathrow to Glasgow, for example, will communicate with about a dozen controllers, each of whom will be provided with a Flight progress Strip in advance of the flight. The strips are produced by computer from the Flight Plan, which has been entered into or already stored in the computer.

As well as this, there may also be liaison between the controllers concerned, either by direct telephone link (headset-to-headset) or by electronic means. Many handovers are "silent" - the next controller is expecting the flight and knows that it will arrive on frequency following a set procedure. The a/c identity is usually known by refernce to the SSR.

Non Flight-Plan flights will usually be the subject of individual liaison between the ATC agencies concerned.

Any other queries just shout..

CAT3C AUTOLAND
7th Feb 2004, 01:18
Heathrow Director,

Thank you for your response, sorry I omitted that crucial point, the flight plan!

From a pilots point of view, I was just interested on how all those hundreds of flights are managed, it must take some organising.

After listening to the radio in my headset time after time, I sure do respect the job you guys do.

Hopefully I will have the experience of the HEATHROW DIRECTOR one day.

Thank you.

A I
7th Feb 2004, 01:29
Thought it might be worth mentioning that at Swanwick inter sector co-ordination is electronic. The radar (tactical) controller still uses paper strips (but watch this space!!) but the co-ordination information, whether standing agreement or not, is sent electronically.

The planner sets the exit flight level and at the appropriate time (or immediately if the planner thinks so) the data is sent to the next sector.

Cuts out all those phone calls!!

A I :O