PDA

View Full Version : MD 80 hard landing

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Feb 2004, 19:25
Someone sent me a video clip of an MD80 landing with a very high rate of descent. The entire tail section breaks off on touchdown, and the fuselage fractures just ahead of the wing (it bends severly on touchdown and it's amazing it doesn't break in half). The mainn gears appear to survive, but the nosewheel comes off.

Any one know any details (It's a poor quality image - can't make out the airline).

SSD

Foreign Worker
6th Feb 2004, 19:40
Probably JAS - Japan Air Systems - recently acquired by JAL - Japan Air Lines.
JAS have recently had a series of incidents and accidents that grounded their entire MD fleet for reasons ranging from broken main gear to (rear mounted) engine problems, thereby covering all of the above.

It is something of a "Secret Society" network in aviation in The Land of the Risen Sun, but occasionally the West gets a peek behind the mask of the geisha!

mini
6th Feb 2004, 19:42
Shaggy,

If its the one I'm thinking of its an MD test flight, during certification.

Read somewhere that the a/c was repaired and flew again - doubt it though... :ok:

Spearing Britney
6th Feb 2004, 19:42
Do you have a web address where this can be viewed?

BTW, INCOMING!!

Vage Rot
6th Feb 2004, 19:47
SSD

It was indeed the MD80 during testing. A flapless approach with an FAA certifying pilot at the controls!! The aircraft was destined for swissair but not delivered (funnyb old thing!) however, it was repaired and went on to fly further trials.

A second MD80 aslo crashed during landing, the gear collapsing. Air bags and a crane were used to raise it so that the u/c could be lowered. Unfortunately, the crane was not supported properly and toppled, cutting into the top half of the fuselage - result - write off!

I'll try and post a link to the website but it'll have to wait until Monday as the details are on my work PC.

VageR

Doors to Automatic
6th Feb 2004, 19:52
The intent of this particular flight was to land at a 12fps descent rate, a very hard landing rate for a commercial airliner.

The pilot in command on this flight messed up a bit, and brought it down at a 17fps rate - basically a carrier landing descent rate.

This is almost 3 times the 'normal' landing descent rate of 6fps used by most airlines.

This film-clip is really a testament to the quality of the MDC product.

I'm certain that most airliners would have snapped in half at mid-fuselage at this abusive descent rate.

For only what you see in this film-clip to happen is really amazing....

This plane (Fus. No. 909) was actually rebuilt, and was the primary test aircraft throughout the 80's and early 90's for MDC.

It was a legendary workhorse in the MDC Flight Test stable for many years.

To all you fellow MDC F/T folks,

This film-clip finally made it to digital!

A memory of one of our all-time favorite aircraft....

Three Wire
6th Feb 2004, 20:06
The film clip has a link on the D & G forum.
Link posted here
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117923

Actually carrier landings only look brutal. The sink rate is around 650 fpm, but no flare. The brutal part is the deceleration.

:cool:

Shaggy Sheep Driver
6th Feb 2004, 20:22
Thanks guys. Glad it was test and not a pax flight. Sore backs all round and a bit draughty in the back rows as well:)

SSD

angels
6th Feb 2004, 20:32
I'm not a pilot so confess to being completely ignorant about this sort of thing, but if they had any technicians sitting in the back to monitor things etc I imagine it would have been quite smelly as well.... :eek:

supercarb
6th Feb 2004, 21:17
This plane (Fus. No. 909) was actually rebuilt, and was the primary test aircraft throughout the 80's and early 90's for MDC.

Was this the same a/c used to flight test the UHB fan engine? I saw it fly at Farnborough in 1988.

SeniorDispatcher
7th Feb 2004, 05:07
909 MD-81 JT8D-217 10/18/79 (IASG) N560MD N980DC [MDC/UHB DEMO][SCRAPPED @ SHERMAN-GRAYSON, TEXAS 1994]

While ship 909 was repaired after this landing accident at EDW, it was never used to fly revenue passengers for any airline. MDC kept it and it was later re-registered as N560MD and use as a demonstrator for their UHB concept.

BTW..

http://amelia.db.erau.edu/reports/ntsb/aar/AAR82-02.pdf

http://mysite.verizon.net/vze6kuhd/MD-80.mpg

If that last link above doesn't work, I'm told the clip is also on www.jetthrust.com somewhere,,,

bugg smasher
7th Feb 2004, 05:35
Yikes!! I've seen video of MDC's tail strike testing, some really hair-raising stuff, but this one takes the whole gateau!

Ivan Taclue
7th Feb 2004, 06:33
Some 20 years ago a similar thing occurred with a DC9-30 of
Garuda at the (old0 Jakarta-Kemayoran airport.

Carnage Matey!
7th Feb 2004, 06:45
Haven't seen the video but doesn't the MD 80 have a jettisonable tail cone which is part of the rear emergency exit system? Apparently quite a few of these have come adrift after hard landings!

SeniorDispatcher
7th Feb 2004, 06:57
Yep, tailcones have come off, like this guy...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/016973/M/

...but in the video in question, the break occurred just before the aft end of the engines, everything aft of that (vert/horz stabs, tailcone) was last seen skipping down the runway..

Lovely video..

Few Cloudy
7th Feb 2004, 18:10
HB-INB
The MD-80 which broke its back during testing then suffered the indignity of having the crane which was supposed to be raising it fall on the fuselage:

That aircraft was indeed repaired and delivered to Swissair. I have flown it. Registration as in the title.

Mikey21
8th Feb 2004, 06:54
Check out the video

Flaps are extended!

Avman
9th Feb 2004, 01:53
OK let's have some fun now. Just imagine it was you on a pax flight! What would have been your post landing PA to the pax?

pigboat
9th Feb 2004, 02:42
...the company hopes that all you ladies will enjoy your new fur collars.

jetjackel
9th Feb 2004, 05:41
Unbelieveable, the video should have been used as an advertisment for aircraft crash worthiness. Like a survival capsule. Think airbus can do that?

reverserunlocked
9th Feb 2004, 05:48
'ladies and gentlemen thank you for flying with MD airways today. Please take care when opening overhead luggage bins as you may find that they detached along with the tail during landing. We look forward to seeing you again soon..'

ettore
13th Feb 2004, 10:14
Few Cloudy or Heavy Smoky?

HB-INB
The MD-80 which broke its back during testing then suffered the indignity of having the crane which was supposed to be raising it fall on the fuselage:

That aircraft was indeed repaired and delivered to Swissair. I have flown it. Registration as in the title.

Are you kidding, Cloudy? Tell me more, if you want me to believe you...:confused:

John Farley
13th Feb 2004, 19:22
ettore

You are right to be sceptical about some posts on PPRuNe. But in this case I can assure you that the hevy landing and the subsequent crane boob both happened. I was working with ****** at the time. Red faces abounded.

I cannot confirm what happened to the airframe afterwards.

(I love the stars that have arrived I'll try again M A C A I R )

newswatcher
13th Feb 2004, 20:52
avman
Please stay seated, with your seat-belts fastened, until the tail section comes to a complete stop. :D

Dr Dave
13th Feb 2004, 21:08
jetjackel said:
Unbelieveable, the video should have been used as an advertisment for aircraft crash worthiness. Like a survival capsule. Think airbus can do that?

Have you seen the level of damage to its port wing that the DHL A300F suffered and survived? Extraordinary.

Based on the evidence shown by that aircraft, yes I think Airbus can do that!

DrDave

gpew
14th Feb 2004, 13:47
likely the source of your movie.
AVweb recently ran the movie and included the NTSB report.

for those still interested:
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/avflash/198-full.html#186672

Rhys S. Negative
14th Feb 2004, 17:06
Few Cloudy,

The second MD-80 to be involved in a flight test accident, at Yuma on 19-June-80, was line number 917, N1002G. This was originally scheduled to go to Swissair as HB-INB, but was damaged beyond repair. It was replaced by line number 1051, delivered as HB-INB on 17-Mar-82.

Rhys.

flybonanza
15th Feb 2004, 19:58
Foreign Worker you refer to JAS and state that they have had several similar incidents recently. I recall of just one JAS MD80 hard landing several years ago. The cause was inexperienced FO in control and windshear.

Having been involved in training Japanese pilots I disagree with the secrecy. The local JCAB (CAA) is tough and incidents and accidents get plenty of visibility within the industry. It is true they are not media driven like in the US.

Did you have some examples of such recent events where the public was not able to get information on the events?

Few Cloudy
16th Feb 2004, 20:35
Rhys and Ettore,

Thanks for that. That is what we were told at the time and was the reason given for why B was delivered after C.

FC

KAL Expat
15th Mar 2004, 07:06
You haven't experienced a "HARD LANDING" till you've flown with a local on a domestic flight around the Korean Peninsula!