PDA

View Full Version : Grasping at Straws

wlatc
5th Feb 2004, 21:28
This is fron a post on http://atcea.com in search of a wider audience.

When a trainee is about to wash out, you hope they'll see the wisdom of the process and humbly submit to the counsel of their elders.

So, when has that ever happened?

The usual situation is much messier, with the trainee and his allies (union, controller buddies, instructors) cranking up the heat on the "evil" managers who have to make the ultimate difficult decisions. Red herrings are sent forth against the tide, smoke rises to obscure the view and the culprit - usually nothing more than the simple lack of ATC talent - is ignored by one and all.

Controlling airplanes is an art. Like composing a grand symphony, painting an exquisite landscape or writing beautiful poetry, controlling a sky full of soaring aircraft takes more than blind luck, diligent study or technical skill.

You gotta have talent.

Not everyone does.

Don't try to tell me that just anyone can be a controller - some cannot. Don't tell me that proper teaching techniques can turn every college aerospace grad into an air traffic controller - they cannot. Somewhere deep within the mind of every true controller (please note that not everyone working airplanes fits that description) lies a unique blend of spatial reasoning, the mental agility to project into the future, nimble decision-making and command presence on the frequency. Those are skills you cannot teach; only develop.

So, as our latest trainee steps out onto the plank, I wish 'em well. Now let's get back to work.

Bern Oulli
6th Feb 2004, 00:44
wlatc. Spot on! Sad thing is, those who don't have "it", whatever "it" is, are generally nice, deperately keen people. Which makes writing "Unsatisfactory" a lot harder.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
6th Feb 2004, 01:03
I agree with what was said about ATC being an art form. However, regarding the training situation, things were different here in the London area when I was operational. At one time were experiencing a 75% chop rate and I don't think any pressure was brought to bear by any of the parties involved. Trainees who aren't up to the job usually don't need much telling - their frequent visits to the John normally suffice!

Jim Morehead
6th Feb 2004, 02:04
wlatc...that was a good message.

to be a good controller you don't get the talent on the box of a Wheaties box.

Back in the old days when I could go in a tower (pre-9-11),I watched a number of my friends in action. One friend was a supervisor in MIA and to turn the landing/takeoff direction around in a few minutes is a skill that is not something everybody has.

Some of your controller friends may be naturals and it is inborn in some and other developed it. But between the two, it is a skill that is not found just anywhere.

bids
7th Feb 2004, 09:59
Controlling airplanes is an art. Like composing a grand symphony, painting an exquisite landscape or writing beautiful poetry, controlling a sky full of soaring aircraft takes more than blind luck, diligent study or technical skill.

have you OD'd on Amsterdam ACC ad's?

Jerricho
7th Feb 2004, 10:10
controlling a sky full of soaring aircraft takes more than blind luck,

Awww crap..................been rumbled!

av8boy
7th Feb 2004, 13:07
USUALLY takes more than blind luck, Jerricho...

WX Man
7th Feb 2004, 19:13
Agreed in principle, but have you ever considered that failings in a training SYSTEM* can turn potentially good controllers into ex trainees?

*NB... training SYSTEM. Not just the individuals involved with the training- a combination of the resources available, management pressures and politics.

av8boy
8th Feb 2004, 14:57
I believe I ranted on this very subject in the last week or two.

WX Man
8th Feb 2004, 23:36
If you want to hear a proper rant you should have been there in my review board :cool:

Those things normally take 45 mins to 1h. Mine? 3h 45. I made them sweat :8