PDA

View Full Version : AIDU and AIRAC cycles

Timothy
5th Feb 2004, 16:07
I am thinking of going over to AIDU publication of terminal charts.

They are much more convenient than Aerad paper, cheaper and handier than JeppView, wider coverage than gCAP, more useable than AIP.

However they are only updated every third AIRAC cycle.

Does that matter? What would happen at your units if someone turned up using old data 3 months after you changed?

What do RAF pilots do? Do they use old data for two cycles, or do they manually update their charts before each flight? (I remember that in my day we were given blank 1/4 mills and were expected to hand draw on every DA and every bit of CA before every flight :( but presumably that was only for training purposes.)

Do C130s and Chinooks turn up at your establishments and fly old procedures?

Timothy

radarman
5th Feb 2004, 17:48
Timothy

Ref your comment about AIDU docs being more convenient than Aerads. AIDU have some sort of joint publishing tie up with Aerad/Thales (or whoever has taken them over) so there is no distinction between the two - in this part of the world at least. Don't know about UK. Try chatting to AIDU at Northolt to see exactly what the situation is; it might save you a change which achieves nothing.

Timothy
5th Feb 2004, 21:10
it might save you a change which achieves nothing....apart from being hugely cheaper, not needing updates, being hugely cheaper, being in a convenient package that will fit in a light aircraft and being hugely cheaper you mean?:p :p :p

Timothy

Timothy
7th Feb 2004, 18:31
Any chance of a reply to the original question?

Timothy

None of the above
8th Feb 2004, 01:33
Between editions of the chart books, Amendment Bulletins are issued to coincide with the AIRAC cycle. They also produce an Amendment Supplement for procedures that have had major changes and therefore justify the publication of a new chart.
Subscribers to the Chart Book series are eligible to receive both of these documents without charge with the exception of the P & P costs.

Hope this helps.

N o t a