PDA

View Full Version : Freeserve Broadband reconnection trouble

denachtenmai
4th Feb 2004, 20:09
Freeserve Broadband
Wonder if anyone can help? I left my computer and my connection on whilst I just had lunch, when I returned the connection had dropped out and would not restart, all I kept getting was the advice "failed to establish connection" In had to shut down and restart whereupon the modem reconnected and it's all O.K. now. This has happened before, but I didn't really bother about it; now it's becoming annoying. Any advice will be welcomed.
Regards Den.

amanoffewwords
4th Feb 2004, 20:44
What broadband modem are you using? And have you tried updating the driver for it?

amofw

Naples Air Center, Inc.
4th Feb 2004, 23:10
denachtenmai,

Which Operating System are you using?

How do you connect the modem to the computer?

What software do you use to make the Internet Connection?

Take Care,

Richard

denachtenmai
5th Feb 2004, 15:59
Ref reconnection problem
Good morning all. I am using Windows 98, and a USB connection, It's an Alcatel Speedtouch external modem using the Freeserve software that came with it. I have had broadband now for 6 months and this problem does not occur all of the time, and no I haven't upgraded the driver, but will look into it.
Best regards Den.

amanoffewwords
5th Feb 2004, 16:33
If it's Freeserve, then it's likely to be a Speedtouch 330 (the red one) - if so there is a brand new driver available on the Thomson site (http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm)

hth
amowf

roach
5th Feb 2004, 19:05
Hi,

I have the same modem and am with Pipex. (W98se)
I have had this same problem for months now in that if for any reason I disconnect I can only reconnect after a full re boot. I am sure I read on this forum that someone had a problem with the latest drivers and had to revert back to an earlier version. Has anyone had a problem using the latest drivet for the Alcatel Speedtouch 330?

amanoffewwords
5th Feb 2004, 19:52
Roach, the OS (win 98) could be the common factor - I have seen the reverse problem on Win XP - i.e. connection not stable until new driver installed, which doesn't help denachtenmai...

oh well.

Long live Ethernet modems...

Bern Oulli
7th Feb 2004, 01:38
I am with Freeserve - broadband, USB connection via the Freeserve modem. It ain't red, it is a silver obelisk shaped thingy by CopperJet. OS is Windows ME. Sometimes mine drops the connection, or I deliberately disconnect, and I have no problems reconnecting - just click the icon on the task bar. My first Freeserve broadband modem was that green round flat thingy that looked like a frog. It died after about 7 months. Good ol' Curry's swopped it under guarantee for this silver objet d'art. This reply is probably of no use to anyone I guess.

amanoffewwords
7th Feb 2004, 04:02
Weird, I came across one of those the other day - the driver I downloaded is here:

Allied Data CopperJet 800 (ftp://ftp.allieddata.com/public/Product_Info/xDSL_Products/CopperJet_800/Drivers/Freeserve_Driver/)

The link is to a driver specific for Freeserve - not sure if it will help you - it's version 4.3.3 - if you're behind that it's worth a shot.

amofw

Say again s l o w l y
8th Feb 2004, 00:40
Have the same modem and connection as you, also have had the same problem. The only thing that has cured it is to shut down the PC and restart, that has worked everytime so far for me.

Keef
8th Feb 2004, 08:01
If anyone wants a (green) Alcatel frog ADSL modem, I have one here. Yours for the postage.

I bought a modem/router, and it's brilliant! Definitely the way to go. No such thing as reboot the PC - the router is always on, always connected. Even when BT said they were disconnecting the ADSL for a minute or two for maintenance, I didn't notice.

Flybywyre
8th Feb 2004, 08:20
When I upgraded to BB I also had the Copperjet modem and didn't have any problems with it.
I also bought a modem / router to replace the copperjet and I have never looked back since. I am running two computers through it and using a KVM switch..........it's great ! These days if anyone asks me to look at their computer which is experiencing some problem I ask them to bring it around, connect it up to the KVM, router attached through USB, and within a few minutes that computer is also running on my Broadband connection, very useful if you need to update drivers / flash BIOS etc
WORD OF WARNING ABOUT FREESERVE TECH HELPLINE.......if you have to call them about something they will not give you any advice/information/problem solving if you tell them that you are using a router, so don't tell them
Regards
FBW