View Full Version : Taildragger Training

J.A.F.O.
4th Feb 2004, 07:05
Without boring you with hours of waffle I'm after some advice.

I'd like to know if anyone can recommend (or even advise against) any schools in the UK for taildragger training.

Thanks.

NinjaBill
4th Feb 2004, 08:13
Sherburn aero club, near Leeds, offer training in both a C140 at £85/hr dual, and in a CAP 10b at £120/hr dual.

Nice club, and friendly instructors. www.sherburn-aero-club.org.uk

NB

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Feb 2004, 15:18
JAFO,

Were are you based or in which bit of the UK do you want to do your training?

FD

J.A.F.O.
4th Feb 2004, 16:44
Thanks for your replies - I'm based in East Anglia but am happy to look at places throughout the UK.

Flyin'Dutch'
4th Feb 2004, 16:56
East Anglia!

Well I think you could do worse then than to look at Clacton, which advertises themselves as the home of taildragger training.

Can not remember ever reading anything negative about them, have no experience with them myself but all those that have been seem to be rather pleased with what is on offer.

HTH

FD

Lowtimer
4th Feb 2004, 20:20
East Anglia's quite a big place, Clacton is at one edge and may well be convenient for you. If you're nearer the other edge, you could also consider the Cambridge Flying Group with its Tiger Moths, and there's also a beautiful Tiger Moth and a Pitts S2 available at Northants School of Flying, at Sywell, which is just a short trip down the A14.

AerBabe
4th Feb 2004, 20:26
I know a nice man with a Chipmunk as Husband's Bosworth... The fact that it's taken him over 18 months of instruction and I still haven't soloed isn't his fault! :p

(That's only about 5 h flying over 18 months.)

LowNSlow
4th Feb 2004, 21:02
If you don't mind going transatlantic you could try Chuck "Cat Driver" Ellsworth here (http://www.chuckellsworth.com/) you might even get tempted to start on the big Cat :ooh: :ooh:

Alternatively, if you ever meet a guy called John Nutter around the Popham / Southampton way ask him.

PS I'm not connected with Chuck in any way.

BlueRobin
4th Feb 2004, 21:26
If you are serious about tail wheel and becoming proficient at it therefore, use someone local and do the practice over a number of weeks. Clacton is lots of fun, excellent introduction to tailwheeling and very good therefore, but they're not the be-all and end-all if you can only stay in Clacton short-term.

Any chance of instruction that Chippy being available to non-Aerbabes ?

Arclite01
4th Feb 2004, 21:57
The problems with the Tigers at Cambridge is that they are very busy all the time and that the wind only has to be a few Kts above 0 and they are out of limits.

I know, I tried twice.

The Cubs at Clacton are definately your best bet. They are fully geared up for training and the field is grass and no hassles.

However there is also a C152 tailwheeler at Elmsett which is in Wattisham zone. Horizon flying club I think it is...........

I did my refresher training at Redhill (Cubair) and they were great.

Hope this helps

Arc

QuackDriver
4th Feb 2004, 22:18
I did my tail dragger differences at Clacton and thought it was great. Weather was foul so most of it was doing bad weather circuits with wind. Good for going around to farm strips as well.

Say again s l o w l y
4th Feb 2004, 22:40
Horizon is at Elmsett, don't worry about it being inside the Wattisham MATZ. I've been in and out of there for years and I've never had a problem.

Bill Stitt is the CFI and they have a C150 aerobat Texas Taildragger. Not a bad machine, as it has had very little use compared to the average school machine. You can do an Aero's course as well!

The Wx at Clacton can be interesting, especially with the runway being orientated N/S. Talk to Mark at CLN, he'll sort you out.

QNH 1013
5th Feb 2004, 05:07
Please, please, please, first beg, borrow or buy a copy of "The Compleat (sic) Taildragger Pilot by Harvey S Plourde. All the mail order pilot shops seem to have copies.

After you have read this book you will begin to realise just how important it is to be taught by someone who really knows how to handle taildraggers and not just a club instructor who once did a five hour conversion course himself / herself, and hasn't done much with one since.

Today's fixed runways mean you will need to master crosswind landings, wheel landings and more. You can only learn greek from someone who speaks greek. Don't try to learn about taildraggers from someone who hasn't mastered them.
Best of luck with the training. It will open up a whole new world to you.

QNH 1013

Papa Charlie
5th Feb 2004, 06:49
My penny worth....

Cubair at Redhill - Super Cub.
The Real Flying Company at Shoreham - Chippie and Stampe.

Speak from experience of both. Highly recommended.

AerBabe
5th Feb 2004, 16:04
That's Shoreham, not Southend? :O
How much do they charge for the Stampe?

FlyingForFun
5th Feb 2004, 16:12
QNH,Please, please, please, first beg, borrow or buy a copy of "The Compleat (sic) Taildragger Pilot by Harvey S PlourdeAgreed.After you have read this book you will begin to realise just how important it is to be taught by someone who really knows how to handle taildraggers and not just a club instructor who once did a five hour conversion course himself / herselfAlso agreed.

FFF
----------------

Ace Rimmer
5th Feb 2004, 16:35
Second Papa Charlie...Real Flying Co are a quality outfit

AB : Can't quite remember off the top of my head what the rate is but I've a feeling the dual rate is over £200-240 range. In any case they want you to have a sign off in the Chippy or quite a bit of taildragging before starting dual on the Stampe... which is understandable the dam* thing is absolutely immaculate. Mind you the Chippy is in pretty good nick too.

Of course doing the conversion on a Tiger, Stampe or a Chippy you'll also get familiar with the joys of post flighting anything powered by a Gypsy engine - LOTS of oil to wipe off!

:ok:

J.A.F.O.
5th Feb 2004, 17:47
Thanks everyone.

I started out by thinking that Clacton was my best option but I didn't want it to be my only option.

FFF & QNH - Already got the Compleat Taildragger, hence the question.

So, it'll probably end up being Clacton but at least I now have other options should I need them.

Thanks again.

JAFO

AerBabe
5th Feb 2004, 20:39
Sorry I didn't answer this before; yes, the Chippie is available to non-ABs through AWA Flying Group - 024 7630 1498. However, the best way to get hold of the instructor for the Chippie is directly. I'll ask him which number he wants published & come back to you...

DB6
5th Feb 2004, 21:29
Rather further afield, Tatenhill Aviation (http://www.tatenhill-aviation.co.uk), near Burton on Trent, has a Super Decathlon. Fully aerobatic with inverted fuel and oil systems. What more could you want?

Flying Boat
7th Feb 2004, 02:25
Another option is Jersey Aero Club.

Chipmunk G-APLO (Owned by Air Atlantique Historic Flight). A lovely aeroplane to fly.

Have a nice break in VAT free Jersey & get a rating at the same time. The views of the Channel Islands & France are well worth the trip.

The club is great & they are a lovely group of people.

Give yourself a week and it is a safe bet you will be finished.

Find them on www.jerseyaeroclub.com (http://www.jerseyaeroclub.com)

Enjoy the experience, wherever you train.

FB

Crossedcontrols
7th Feb 2004, 23:49
There is a super cub at Panshanger
and Lindsey with his Cub at Bourne.
I also seem to remember a Super Cub at Sywell.

CC

ANDY CUBIN
10th Feb 2004, 00:46
If your pockets are deep enough, Ultimate High do td coversions on the Extra 300. Check out the website www.ultimatehigh.co.uk

AC

Papa Charlie
10th Feb 2004, 01:20
How much do they charge for the Stampe?

AB, Sorry to take so long to get back to you, rates for The Real Flying Company's Stampe are £175 training rate, £145 for solo. (Plus vat) Chippie is a tad cheaper.

PC