PDA

View Full Version : Navy ATC

heavy 5leeper
4th Feb 2004, 04:54
I am going to AIB at the end of Feb, and looking for tips on AIB and more info on the role of Navy ATCO's.

Performed a search but it's disabled - Pour quoi?

Where is the best place to look on these forums or elsewhere?

Any replies appreciated!

Ta.

spekesoftly
4th Feb 2004, 07:16
The PPRuNe search function is often disabled to reduce server overload, but is usually available late evening/night - (it's available now - 00:16).

I don't recall seeing anything specific to Navy ATC, and a quick search didn't look too promising, but give it time, someone will probably post some suggestions.

Edit:- This link (http://www.royal-navy.mod.uk/static/pages/3015.html) may help.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
5th Feb 2004, 00:21
They do have some funny sayings.... eg "Pogo dis", which roughly translated means "if no reply return to this frequency". I used to say it to the RN a/c flying into Northolt and they knew exactly what I meant!

jack-oh
5th Feb 2004, 05:06
The correct phrase is POGO IF NO JOY, meaning come back to this freq. if you cant get hold of the bloke who is supposed to be on your next freq. This may sound stupid, but if you have ever been at sea with the tactically shaven chimps that are supposed to tune the radios in for you, you will know exactly what I am on about. As for Naval ATC it is a glorious existence, the RAF train you, no one in the Navy knows you exist, there are only about 60 of us, you spend the entire first half of your career trying to get out of Yeovil of Culdrose and the last half trying not to leave. You wait until the RAF decide upon something then ignore it and do your own thing whilst muttering, "Crabs they haven’t got a clue". However, on no account are you to come up with anything original yourself. All your experience is based around airfields, then they decide to send you to sea where the kit is beyond belief. You spend half your time on the phone to foreign ATC centres apologising for infringing their airspace, whilst the other half of the time you stare blankly at a primary radar screen with no discernable features on it, clutching an en-route chart trying to figure out where you are and who you need to phone up next and apologise to. The runs ashore are fantastic but you will have to do at least 5 years before you get to go on one. If you manage to get an exchange post to the RAF you are obliged to saunter around doing odd things, when challenged you are to immediately bark out the “Navy has been doing this for over 500years”, or, “there's been shaving restrictions in the Andrew longer than the Crabs have been around”. On all accounts when dealing with the RAF you are to adopt a superior tone becoming of the senior service and take great pleasure in explaining exactly what "kissing the Gunners Daughter" or other naval sports are all about. After about 10 years you will start to wonder if civil ATC will have you and then realise you have been working your nuts off for half the pay and twice the grief. Whilst your considerable experience counts for nothing unlike every other branch in the Navy that now get civil standard qualifications.

As far as I’m concerned it’s a winner all round.

Barnaby the Bear
5th Feb 2004, 05:38
Put like that, where do i sign?????:cool:

heavy 5leeper
6th Feb 2004, 02:39
Thanks for the replies.

I will be looking at the military forums, see what I can find out from there.

I have AIB at the end of Feb so there is not a lot of time for ship or air station visits, although I have done some volunteer work at RIAT 2003 so had a chat to some aircrew, etc then.

I have met a controller as well who was ex-military and got some valuable advice.

jack-oh - that cheered me up after a very dull day in an office, I will be sure to practice my superior look and saunter if i get in!

:ok: