PDA

View Full Version : Spacial Awareness Tests? Just Take 5 Mate.

radarman
4th Feb 2004, 03:55
What the hell is all this idiocy that's causing so much grief from those poor guys trying desperately to get a foothold on the ATC ladder? Spacial awareness, HR interviews. sorting shapes, shuffling numbers, pushing buttons before the monkey eats the banana? What's all this got to do with whizzing aluminium around the sky? Some years ago the ATC airboxes were wringing their hands about the lack of suitable candidates for training. Someone sensible said that all you needed to do was rope in a couple of dozen of the 'anoraks' from the roof of T2 and you'd have a course with a guaranteed 100% pass rate. Keen, enthusiastic, and they knew half of it anyway. Did anybody listen? Nah! Said that in future all candidates would need a degree. Fat lot of good that did! When I was instructing on Area Radar it was always the courses that spent most in the bar that got the best results.
Do we really need all this touchy-feely HR cr@p and psychobabble to select controllers? Am I the only one that feels all ATC training needs is a swift return to common sense? Let's hear from some ex-ARTS instructors on this.

Gonzo
4th Feb 2004, 04:29
Said that in future all candidates would need a degree. Fat lot of good that did!

When was this? You don't even need to have passed A-Levels nowadays!

The Highlander
4th Feb 2004, 04:45
You might not have to pass A levels,but if you pass 25 or is it 29
(years) that is then even a degree wont do any good.
Even if you are apptitude capable (military) but have been assistant for 12 years then 5 years in the airline bit and im too old.ass an assistant on nights at scottish mil i did more than my share of talking to aircraft either in the D & D cell or out on console. so whilst i accept i do not know the half of it, i am certainly capable of being taught the rest that i dont know.
but we will never know will we.
ps ive never been to T2.
Ive got the entire t seris on DVD if that helps. (joke)

cb9002
4th Feb 2004, 11:01
Guys, have a look at this post:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=117691

Says it all, really. I'm supposed to be on the March course too BTW.