PDA

View Full Version : "Those" Computer tests

mbwlewis
3rd Feb 2004, 21:38
Afternoon all -

Well - it's all over. Now time to sit back and hope/pray that I got through.

I thought that both interviews went quite well. The guy who did the tech interview was very nice and helped me out when I "brain-farted" (how can you forget what VOR stands for in your interview!?!?) And the HR interview was quite straight forward. I found out that I did very well in the aptitude tests (got 8/9/7/8) so was chuffed with that!

The horrible part was the computer tests. The shapes were fine, number collision avoidance was good (apart from the maths questions - went past too fast to see which letter was the right answer) and the arrow stuff seemed to go quite well - - BUT who came up with the number sorting!?!? Absolutely impossible! There was barely enough time to read the instruction b4 the first 3 numbers has wizzed by - then trying to co-ordinate the ABCD with the screen - damn! - that was hard and I think I totally messed it up! If I fail I think this will be the reason.

Anyway - how do you find out if you got through - do you wait for the letter, or is it done by phone?

Best wishes,
Mark-

PGM
3rd Feb 2004, 22:01
mbwlewis - congrats on getting to the end of the process, fingers crossed for you mate. I'm still waiting for my initial test dates to come through having applied last July. I think it is in Manchester the second week of March....maybe!!! Can you recall the types of qu's and areas that were covered at your first stage and what the time restraints were like. Also did you have any verbatum to work through? Any info would be gratefully received. Again best of luck with the results!

mbwlewis
3rd Feb 2004, 22:22
PGM -

Congrats on getting your initial tests - I strongly reccomend you have a look through all the posts in this forum about the testing. Do a search for "NATS INTERVIEW" or "NATS RECRUITMENT" and I'm sure you will find about 100 responses!

Initail tests are hard - but you are either good at them or not. Make sure you are familiar with aviation and if you have a general interest then you will be fine. Also , don't try and cheat the system on your motivation or personality tests. Having got my results today they were spot-on: which gave me the opportunity to give examples of how I had developed over the past 18 months. . . and try to allay and fears over my personality etc.

Make sure you are as accurate as possible - you are on a clock (about 5 mins for 40 questions) , so if you can't do a question, leave it and move on.

My feelings about today and my inital tests are that if I don't succeed it will only be because I am not suitable to be an ATCO - and I would rather someone found that out sooner rather than after I've caused a mid-air. (no offense meant to anyone - but it's the reality)

Good luck!
Mark

360BakTrak
3rd Feb 2004, 23:13
I did my tests about seven years ago now but it sounds as if they haven't changed.
With the shapes test I think the maths questions are there to try and distract you from your primary task. I found myself hitting any key to answer those so either its quite a coincidence that I hit the right key each time or getting the shapes right scores far higher.
You should find out in the next few days or next week, I believe it varies on how many candidates are being tested and at what point you were tested, ie if you were one of the last ones you should hear quite soon and vice versa.
Good Luck!

scornwell
4th Feb 2004, 19:55
Well done Mark! Glad to hear it went well after the excitement at Heathrow on Sunday. Did you find your visits helped at all?
Steve

mbwlewis
6th Feb 2004, 01:56
Hi Steve -

Hope your tests went well today!

The visit always helps becuse even though you may not get any questions about it in the interview - it allows you a few hours insight into what your new job wil be like - and it allows you to show your interest in the subject.

:-)

Mark

foghorn
7th Feb 2004, 19:05
Anyone got an idea of how long the magic letter is currently taking? I know HR say 10 working days, but I'm on holiday for two weeks from the end of next week (working day 7 after my interview) and would like to know before I go!

Barnaby the Bear
7th Feb 2004, 21:09
As with most of these things if you get an A4 envelope well done! If smaller then probably bad news.
Good luck with your results.

mr.777
8th Feb 2004, 00:36
Mark,

Sounds like you did okay to me!! I did the tests in Oct 2002 and felt EXACTLY the same as you when I got out...interviews ok but computer tests horrendous! I don't think you need to have done perfectly on them (I'd never have got through otherwise!).
HR actually phoned me on the "10th working day" to tell me I'd got through,but times may have changed.
Good luck and hope to see you down the college (if I've not bombed out by then!)

mbwlewis
12th Feb 2004, 04:33
Just to give everyone an update - -

There isn't one.... still no slim letter and no phone call - -day 9 tomorrow (working day 7)

Mark

foghorn
13th Feb 2004, 17:44
Me neither. Looks like I'll just have to wait until I get back off me hols, then.

mbwlewis
16th Feb 2004, 17:12
Hiya all -

This is unbearable! Working day 10 today and still no post, and no phone call (as yet).

Has anyone had the results of a recent interview yet - - and if so, what come first; the letter or phone call!

Mark

tired-flyboy
23rd Feb 2004, 07:22
Well nice to see everybody feels the same about those tests!!

What phone call - HR have a phone and they use it - well will miracles never cease :)

Never got a call from HR but did get an A4 letter (first class), it was very thin but it took about 12 days from interview to door.

I passed, :ok: feel happy but don't start till early next year, anyone else in this boat???

Guys at the end of the day if you did your best then that's all they can ask for (not much of a help i know - sorry)

See ya next year (maybe!)

Cam :\

foghorn
1st Mar 2004, 00:32
Back off holidays, working day 18 tomorrow, no letter, no e-mail, no phone message from NATS.

It is possible that they have been calling and didn't want to leave a message.

Shall be calling them first thing tomorrow.