PDA

View Full Version : PPL to Instructor

glider12000
31st Jan 2004, 03:30
I`m currently on the Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies course at Leeds University, and after uni, will leave with a PPL and a BSc.

I want to have a spell of being an instructor, before moving upto ATPL. Can you tell me what i`d have to do after the course, to be picked up by a flying school and what add ons to my PPL i`d need. I`d hopefully have the finances sorted to be able to go straight through, but just require some extra guidance!

Cheers for any help!

Steve

jsf
31st Jan 2004, 12:33
Why don't you raise the issue with one of your instructors or one of your course tutors, I'm sure they would be more than willing to let you know what is involved.

Alternatively, all the information is published in LASORS by the CAA. If you hope to be an instructor, the sooner you get used to using it, the better.

jsf

glider12000
31st Jan 2004, 20:25
my first flight is in March so i`ll find out who my examiner is then.

I get LASORS in m Uni flight pack which i am getting next week, for the bargain price of 136 total!

Thanks for the advice.

BEagle
31st Jan 2004, 20:55
glider12K - What makes you think that you'd be acceptable as a Flight Instructor? Anyone with the money can become a mere people-tube driver, few have the ability to become half-decent FIs.

If you think that being an FI is something to be dabbled with before you start a life of drudgery as a 737 FO, then do the flying training industry a favour and don't bother!

glider12000
31st Jan 2004, 21:27
i don`t merely want to move through being an flying instructor and use it as a stepping stone.

Being able to train people how to fly the machine that i love, with enthusiasm and with an approach that would make flying as infectious as i find it.

Being able to give the people the gift of flight is certainly one of the best that i can think of, and then after i have been an instructor, i would like to move up to fly commercially to complete my lifes ambition.

BEagle
1st Feb 2004, 00:59
Glad to hear that! Would that others shared your opinions.

But you won't make too many friends in the instructional world if you talk of moving 'up' to flying airliners...

You can instruct with a PPL, but not for remuneration. Plus you also need to have passed the JAA CPL theory exams - or the ATPL exams. Then you have to pass a pre-entry flight test before taking a FI course at an FTO approved for the purpose. Then pass the FI Skill Test. All that costs several thousand, so most people do the full CPL course before their FI course. At least you can then be paid - if you can find a job, of course!

Good luck!!

Lightning_Boy
1st Feb 2004, 09:25
Hope you dont mind me having a nose at your room !!!! I would love to become an instructor, I enjoy teaching people any new tasks and watching them achieve their goals as I am doing at the moment.
Having obtained a PPL(H) whats the next step to becoming an Instructor, only trouble is (no shouting please) I'm doing my PPL(H) in the USA. (The only reason for this is simply down to cost, even after flights, hotels and training, it's still about £3K less. ) Have had many conversations with helo pilots regarding the final licence but have found essentially its a FAA licence with night rating, but the school I will be training with is JAA approved so will obtain the JAA (JAR) licence as a piggy back off the FAA, just need to continue with the CAA class 2 and FAA class 3 medicals.

With all this in mind (and no shouting about the USA training) what do you think my plan should be.

Many Thanks

LB