PDA

View Full Version : Personal flight discipline

Mach trim
30th Jan 2004, 06:02
1) Could someone please define " Flight discipline ".

2) Have you flown with disciplined pilots who have the highest standards and are fun to fly with, while making it look easy, even when things do not go as planned ?

What are the most important things that these aviators have in common. Their situational awareness for example is exceptional.

Lemurian
30th Jan 2004, 06:28
Mach Trim,
Please define :
-1/Standards
-2/Airmanship
-3/Fun to fly with
-4/Crew mindedness
-5/Leadership.
-6/Loyalty
I like your question ...Vast subject!
Regards

alf5071h
30th Jan 2004, 17:20
Discipline is the ability and will-power to fly safely; there are 5 key points to combat attitudes that lead to poor discipline.

Follow the rules, they are usually right.
Understand the rules and the reasons for them.
Do not accept that rules will have to be bent to get the work done.

Not so fast, think first.
Do you really understand the problems.
Reject opportunities for short cuts or to do things that appear to be ‘better’.

It could happen to you.
Carelessness and overconfidence are much more dangerous than the calculated acceptance of risk.

Taking chances is foolish.
Everyone can, and will make errors. Human error is part of human nature.
Control the feeling that you have the ability and experience to do the job without following the procedures.

You are not helpless, you can make a difference.
Plan and prepare for problems before they arise; think ahead.

Good article from the New Zealand CAA Safety Information, Publications, ‘Vector’ July/Aug 2003 (http://www.caa.govt.nz/)

Also ‘Airmanship and Flight Discipline’ Australian Ultralight Federation (http://www.auf.asn.au/students/airmanship.html)

And the book ‘Redefining Airmanship’ by Tony Kern ISBN 0070342849

Coastrider26
3rd Feb 2004, 15:38
Be true to your training

Just joined an cargo outfit in the middle east and one of the things I notice is that you have to keep the standard up as is required when you did your exam or the standard of your last company. As it is mighty easy to slip down to another level.

Mach trim
3rd Feb 2004, 19:11
I appreciate the input.

Yes, Alf, the book " Redefining Airmanship" is an excellent read as is "Flight Discipline" both by Tony Kern.

I like Kern's model of airmanship," Expert airmen have a thorough understanding of their aircraft, their team, their environment, their risks and themselves. When all of these elements are in place the superior aviator exercises cosistently good judgement and maintains a high state of situational awareness. "

In my humble opinion the most difficult is one's understanding of one's self.

Also for CRM instructors, how do you train people to improve their self awareness ?

For example when you are fatigued, it is hard to detect.