PDA

View Full Version : British/US ATC

pulse
29th Jan 2004, 07:43
Hello everyone,

i am very much interested in becoming an ATCO and thinking of applying to NATS in the near future. However ive always wanted to live in the US; i was wondering is it possible to be British and still be eligable to be a controller in the US? :s

Fly Through
29th Jan 2004, 14:45
Hi Pulse,
The simple answer is no. Only a US citizen can join there ATC so that means a greencard and resident for 4 years, I believe.
Rgds FT

FWA NATCA
31st Jan 2004, 05:01
Pulse,

As someone has already stated, you "MUST BE A U.S. Citizen". Now there isn't anything that says you can't do whatever it takes to become a U.S. Citizen and then apply to become a controller (as long as you do it before age 31).

Mike
NATCA FWA

fernytickles
3rd Feb 2004, 09:22
Pulse

For your info, becoming a US citizen and receiving a green card are two TOTALLY different matters. You do not need to change citizenship to get a green card.

We are right in the middle of the green card application process just now. Try www.ins.com for more info. To give you a quick outline, green card application and processing takes about 3+ years, during which time, if eligible, you will receive a work permit, at which point you can start working, if you aren't already doing so. You need to fit a substantial number of criteria for the green card, which you will find on that website. If eligible, you can also apply to the green card lottery, which is outlined on the website.

I hope this helps a bit, but I'm afraid to say that the chances of getting a green card are not great - believe me, there are plenty of hoops to jump through and it is an extremely pricey process!

There is a Scottish controller who works during Airventure at Oshkosh - if he's on pprune he might fill you in on whether you need to actually become a citizen to get a job, tho' I know thats not the case for many other sections of the aviation industry.

Scott Voigt
3rd Feb 2004, 10:36
Howdy;

If that person does work OSH and is not a US citizen, about the only way that is going to happen is if he works for the contractor at OSH tower. Most of the controllers there are FAA controllers brought in from around the region. They intermix with the permanant party there and work in shifts to man both the control tower, the runway areas (moocows) and the VFR feeder trailer.

regards

Scott

fernytickles
3rd Feb 2004, 20:56
Good morning :)

"If that person does work OSH and is not a US citizen, about the only way that is going to happen is if he works for the contractor at OSH tower."

I guess that can't be correct as he does not work at Oshkosh the rest of the year. He does have a Scottish accent, but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't a naturalized US citizen, tho' I don't see why a non-citizen who holds a green card would not be acceptable to potential employers. As far as I am aware, having a green card gives the holder the right to apply for virtually any type of work.

FWA NATCA
3rd Feb 2004, 23:05
Ferney,

The controller that you are refering to is a controller at MSP, he is a US Citizen, his family is from Scotland. Last year was his last year working at OSH because he is retiring.

OSH is a contract tower, but during the EAA AirVenture Show the FAA brings in FAA controllers (approximately 60) from throughout the Great Lakes Region, and takes over Air Traffic Control Duties at OSH, and installs a temporary tower with controllers at FLD.

Mike
NATCA FWA
(Veteran OSH Controller)

fernytickles
4th Feb 2004, 00:20
FWA NATCA

Thank you for that - that would explain his presence, tho' I fear its taking the topic away from the original subject. It was fun to hear him on the radio.

I'm fortunate (tho' with snow shovelling that feeling is diminishing right now!) to live in, and fly from Oshkosh, and enjoy working with the tower folk all year round. I will never forget the first time I taxied to parking prior to opening day. I can't tell you how impressed I am with the ATC operation during Airventure - it is utterly unique.

If "Pulse" would like to experience the most amazing ATC he/she should visit Airventure, as I am sure you are well aware ;) Are you coming back this year?

FWA NATCA
4th Feb 2004, 07:50
Ferny,

If my facility can release me I will be back up at OSH (this will be my fifth year) again. The unique thing about Oskosh isn't just the huge numbers of airplanes, but that every single person there, pilots, controllers, and ground personnel, all love aviation.

For those that have never made the trip to the EAA AirVenture all I can say is you have to at one time in your lives, make the trip to experience Oshkosh. The experience is totally unbelieveable.

Mike
NATCA FWA

fernytickles
4th Feb 2004, 09:06
Mike
NATCA FWA

If you do, give us a wave - EAA Photo 1 or Photo 2