PDA

View Full Version : MAN in the snow what a joke

rampman
29th Jan 2004, 06:48
well what can i say about MAN today apart from a joke for a big so called airport like this they did not seam to botherd about all the snow and ice about by the time they started doing something about it a lot of people had had accidents ..... they were trying to de-ice the airport when first off they should have got all the snow out off the way then put the de-icing fluid down/ anti ice . talk about an ice ring plane's sliding everywhere and having to be pull onto there stands by tugs it was a nightmare and by the time i left work at 22:00 they had still not sorted it out .

come on manchester get your act together

p.s pilots that i talked to today said manchester was a big joke ......

opnot
29th Jan 2004, 07:07
rapman

Having worked all morning. After the intial snoclo involving delays of approx 30 mins to arrivals,departures where held to clear the arrival stacks then normal ops resummed .The main problem with departures then was the de-icing equipment. Not enough to go around, not suprising when 10-20 aircraft need de-icing

Are you not confusing moving acft from different stands due to operational needs rather then the weather

rampman
29th Jan 2004, 07:38
last night when the first snow fall happend they were on the ball and i take my hat off to them with in 20 mins they had all the plough and blowers out doing there stuff . but today when i got to work i could not work out what had happend it was like they said oh well we have done our bit for the day and sat about...... last night was fantastic today was :yuk:

nope aircraft coming onto stand ... there was the finair and the LHR that both had to be brought onto stand by a tug there was also a number of plane's that jack knifed on the push due to the lack of grip from the tug's we keep't telling ops 3 about it and by pure luck we got away with out any major incident;s and i know atc/ground's job was not easy today and hats of to them as well for handling all the diverts this evening

Captain Kaboom
29th Jan 2004, 17:12
Last night at about 1900Z I was flying above the Southern part of Germany when the controller told a Jetset airplane with destination Manchester to expect a 2 1/2 hour delay into Manchester.
The boys went silent for 5 seconds before they responded with ''roger''.
THat is a lot of fuel to have extra onboard, I don't know what became of them.

CK

MPH
29th Jan 2004, 17:22
MAN, you should have seen STN last night. Utter chaos it took them 5 hours to clean ramps runway etc. And that was with advanced warning of the snow coming, well in advance. Snow falls are common in other countries and without these delays. Maybe there is a lesson to be learned? Remember last year…BAA!

dwlpl
29th Jan 2004, 18:04
Costa del Liverpool has had only 20mins of snow and no frost to talk of over the last 2 days. :cool:

Arkroyal
29th Jan 2004, 18:23
Snow falls are common in other countries and without these delays.

Indeed, MPH 'other countries'. It is simply not cost effective in the southern part of the UK to have the required snow clearing capability. A day's chaos every year will be a lot cheaper

MPH
29th Jan 2004, 18:34
:oh:
One days snow.....Aren’t we lucky!!! Explain the equipment deficiencies to all those pax whom were stranded last night!
I wonder if it won't snow till next year:hmm:

Jerricho
29th Jan 2004, 18:48
"It is simply not cost effective in the southern part of the UK to have the required snow clearing capability. A day's chaos every year will be a lot cheaper".

Understand the sentiments, however factoring ALL facets of delays, and not just aviation related, I wonder if the costs wouldn't be closer than we think.

I suppose it provides entertainment for the rest of Europe, if not the rest of the world.

opnot
29th Jan 2004, 18:54
rampman

the Finnair and the Midland LHR got caught in a heavy snow shower after they had pushed off stand.The heavy snow fall required them to be de-iced again and thats why they were towed back onto stand

WEBLUEIT
29th Jan 2004, 19:04
Folks, you think your lot are incompetant, check out BHX. They closed around 1800 and still aren't open!!!

M609
29th Jan 2004, 19:24
I suppose it provides entertainment for the rest of Europe

Affirm! :E

av8boy
29th Jan 2004, 21:17
...if not the rest of the world.
Cheers!:ok:

ALTSEL
29th Jan 2004, 21:43
:O John Spooner no doupt will offer his resignation.

GOLF-INDIA BRAVO
29th Jan 2004, 22:21
I presume that all the snow and ice guys and gals have other day jobs which I presume still has to be done and what with diversions coming in in quite large numbers and every thing freezing very quickly last night after 16.00 I think it was probably a no win situation. Judging by the roads last night and the works carpark which had taken on the look of an ice rink with large ruts
which only a few hours before had been a lake of slush took me by suprise
Give them a break

Golf India

AOG-YYZ
29th Jan 2004, 22:28
Toronto (YYZ) is one of those airports which is in the annual snow league. We have yet to have the airport closed because of snow. According to the airport publicity people, we are the only north American airport that has never closed because of snow. We have always managed to keep at least one runway in operation. However, and strange as it may seem, the first snowfall of the season always takes us by surprise.

When the first flakes are sighted, usually in late November, the rush is on to put the chains on the paymovers and tracktors. What chaos ensues. So before you criticise MAN for not being prepared it might help to remember that Manchester is noted for rain, not snow. And why would they (MAN) invest in expensive snow removal equipment only to use it about once every 5 years or so?

g0kmt
30th Jan 2004, 07:46
I don't care. As a lowly pax, I managed to get from BFS to LPL on easyjets 1720 service with no delay, in fact the lady captain evn put pedel to the metal and improved on the time. Hats off to all concerned in keeping some services going.

I must say all you human cargo pilots (and non human cargo pilots) have a enviable job. Don't forget all those guys and gals behind you rescheduling the diverts and cancelled heheh. Just get that jet repositioned quick sharpish

may there always be enough sky left between you and the ground