PDA

View Full Version : Passenger size a safety issue?

lady in red
28th Jan 2004, 18:51
Travelling home on a long-haul charter flight recently I was astonished by the size of one passenger who was so grossly obese he was completely wedged into his seat, his stomach almost touching the seat in front. He had to use an extension seatbelt and as he was in the aisle seat, it occurred to me that the people trapped inside him would not have a hope in getting out if there was an emergency evacuation. Also if he had managed to extract himself he would have completely blocked the aisle.

I believe that this is a serious safety issue and I wonder why the airlines do not limit the size of passenger, or alternatively insist that they purchase a seat in Business class. Looking around the departure lounge I saw several people of this huge stature and the problem will only get worse. Will the airlines start to configure the aircraft for these bigger people? It must be so uncomfortable for them as well as the passenger next to them. One is reminded of the story about the small lady who was squeezed in beside a 24 stone woman and suffered crush injuries.

Any views?

PAXboy
28th Jan 2004, 22:08
If I recall correctly, this has already been to the courts in the US. The answer was (I think) that the airline needs to provide seats of the right size.

When I sit down, I look for my exits and the best way to get to them (such as the counting rows method). On many occasions, I have concluded that my best route will be over the top of the seats. So-called 'Seat Surfing', due to obese people, or numbers of children.

I doubt that an accident investigation report will state, "Persons A and B were too fat to get out of their seats fast enough and so passengers Y and Z died also."

It would be impossible to prove, other than through witness statements of surviviors. So we might expect such information to emerge anecdotally in the news, rather than in reports. Either way, I expect that it won't be long.

ExSimGuy
28th Jan 2004, 22:30
Going to be dangerous for them if I get stuck beside a fat b****d with elbows sticking out all over my seat-space when I'm trying to eat - just once more :mad:

Recently had one of these beside me all the way from BAH to LHR, then some idiot with an enormous oversized leather jacket flapping all over me from LGW to PHL:*

The there's the fool who reclines his seat (always in front of me) as soon as the flight's in the air, and leaves it that way until he's asked to put it up for landing.

So I end up with elbows all over me from the side, and my tray-table jammed in front of me when I'm trying to eat my meal (as if it wasn't hard enough to stomach "stewed something and rice" anyway:yuk:

(RANT RAVE MOAN)

Crepello
28th Jan 2004, 22:40
This has come up on here in the past, IIRC.

SouthWest seem to have the right policy: Large pax are asked to purchase another seat at checkin, if they didn't already. Should there be empty seats on the flight, the price of the second ticket's refunded. Seems fair to all.

On a couple of recent flights, FAs have asked that people don't recline until everyone's finished guzzling - good idea.

Boss Raptor
28th Jan 2004, 23:11
I have regularly seen on US and West African flights obese people, mainly women, who are literally so wide they have to go sideways down the aisle...they are not going to get out in an emergency and neither are the poor sods behind them...I doubt frankly they would even fit thru an overwing exit.

These people are a hazard to thenselves and to others. They should be seated on a bulkhead row close to an exit and an f/a...they should be treated as disabled and numbers limited...yet on some flights there are loads of them...

As for the experience of sitting next to one...as others have found it is unpleasant to say the least :hmm:

askew
29th Jan 2004, 01:03
On a recent flight from Singapore they were inviting passengers to be weighed as part of a survey on passenger weight that was being conducted.

Maybe/hopefully to address this issue???

WHBM
29th Jan 2004, 02:01
I have had one of these (approx 22 stone) pax come along next to me who just lifted the armrest so he could half spill over into my seat. No please, no excuse me, just did it.

When I said "Excuse me, I will keep MY armrest down, thank you", he waddled off to the cabin crew and was found somewhere else, presumably next to someone more timid.

From our CPL friends, what are the actual regs about armrests down for takeoff/landing, as patrolled for by the crew. Is it an official requirement ? An airline procedure ?

BTW I did hear of a gross pax who was made to book 2 seats and was then allocated 10C and 10D, on opposite sides of the aisle !

Self Loathing Freight
29th Jan 2004, 02:10
Passenger survey regarding obese passengers (http://planenews.com/survey-results-24.html).

Then there's this regarding Southwest making obese passengers pay for two seats. (http://www.detnews.com/2002/business/0206/20/business-519253.htm)

SLF

Globaliser
29th Jan 2004, 02:20
WN's explanation of its policy can be found here - http://www.southwest.com/about_swa/press/additional_seat.html

Whether or not you agree with their reasons/philosophy, it seems to be a model of how to communicate them clearly to customers.

davethelimey
29th Jan 2004, 18:59
it occurred to me that the people trapped inside him would not have a hope in getting out if there was an emergency evacuation

I suppose a fat fella eating other passengers eclipses all other worries.:ok:

Diverse
29th Jan 2004, 21:28
The armrest down issue is i believe to reduce sideways movement if things get a little tricky in an emergency.

I think Southwest's is a good idea and also it's a good idea to let them have the money back if there are eventually free seats on the flight.

TR4A
30th Jan 2004, 01:06
The armrest down issue is i believe to reduce sideways movement if things get a little tricky in an emergency.

At my airline the only arm rest that are required to be down are the aisle rests for takeoff and landing. They are labeled on the rest. I work for an airline that requires passengers to buy two seats if they can not fit in one.:cool:

In the overwing exit rows. If you need a seat belt extension you can not sit there.If I recall correctly, this has already been to the courts in the US. The answer was (I think) that the airline needs to provide seats of the right size.No, the airline can make you pay for two seats if you can not fit in one seat.

Invictus
8th Feb 2004, 01:10
Does that mean that if my wife and I are really skinny, and can comfortably fit into one seat then do we only have to pay for one seat ? Oh, we can share the meal and baggage allowance too.

:O

Invictus

holbrob
11th Feb 2004, 03:43
Might sound a bit silly, why don't the airlines have an 'excess guttage' charge??

If i was to check in a big case that was overweight i would be charged!!!! What happens if this overweight person checks in a normal bag but weighs 50Kg more than me do the airlines make allowances for this in the weight and balance measurements???

reynoldsno1
11th Feb 2004, 06:27
Many moons ago flew trans-Pacific (my own money...) on CO next to a HUGE woman, who also had support bandages on both her knees. I literally had half a seat, and could not use one end of my seat belt. I was constantly harrassed by the CC to either buckle up (fine, show me how....), or to stop standing around (I could only sit sideways - turning the other cheek, so to speak). The CC could not look me in the eye when I left the plane.

Wrote to CO and the FAA afterwards - didn't even get a reply ( well, I am an alien). Have never used CO again, and never will....