PDA

View Full Version : Repetitive flight numbers/call signs

RASTAMIKE
28th Jan 2004, 17:13
Hello,

I have a question to the ATC's.
Using a same flight number or call sign on identical flight legs within same 24 hours, does it create a problem or not?

There are many practices of permanently assigned flight numbers, such as UNXXX or Air Force One, especially with military traffic and other utility flights, but on the other hand, most commercial flights are using different flight numbers such as BA721 GVA-LHR in the morning, BA723 for the midday, BA725 for the afternoon.

Tks for clarification

FoxRomeo
28th Jan 2004, 19:04
There's non problem with using the same tripnumber twice on one day. When handling flightplan data the flightplan referred to is identified by stating c/s, ad of DEP and filed EOBT. At least that's how it works on mainland Europe with the systems I know.
Just imagine yourself shuttling between two airports all day and using the aircraft's civil registration, you don't even have the choice of changing something. We have to be able to handle that one aswell.

Cheers, FR

vector4fun
28th Jan 2004, 20:42
The only problem I have come up against is when said aircraft has multiple flight plans departing same airport with same call sign. (I recall one Lear with 5 flight plans to 5 different destinations in 4 different states!) When that happens, ATC has to remove the other flight plans from the NAS and then make a computer entry to insure the data for the correct flight plan has loaded into the ARTS (terminal) computer. While the HOST system in the Centers is happy with multiple flight plans, ARTS is really only happy with one.:rolleyes: Normally, this is transparent to the pilot, but we controllers have been known to drop the ball or miss an extra flight plan or two. This would normally only cause a small hiccup and perhaps a 30 sec. delay in getting you handed off and perhaps an extra level-off.

The other thing that occasionally happens is when, for some reason, your previous flight plan was never entirely dropped from the system. Somebody put a "Hold" message on it for example. Then when you depart on the new flight, we get multiple error messages stating "Duplicate Flight Active", and get errors when trying to hand-off to the next facility etc. That's rare though.

95% of the time, it causes no problem at all.....:ok:

(Above pertains to U.S. system only, natch.)

Gonzo
28th Jan 2004, 20:44
We had a problem last year when UAL were doing their round the world flights, UAL1 and UAL2.......At one stage our approach guys were talking to UAL1 inbound, and the outbound UAL1, who was running late, was just taking off. Just missed being on the same frequency by ten minutes