PDA

View Full Version : Sir Dicky Branson...pilot or not?

BoeingMEL
28th Jan 2004, 03:56
Sir RB has widely delared in the media that he is the "standby pilot" for the forthcoming solo around the world record attempt. My approaches to his media/PR people asking for details of his relevant flying experiences and licence(s) continue to be unanswered. Surely not another PR puff for the ignorant masses? Anyone got any ideas? bm

Say again s l o w l y
28th Jan 2004, 04:32
Read somewhere that he doesn't have a licence, but if he had to fly this new machine he would undergo "intensive training" to get a licence....... Yeah right! :yuk:

Whiskery
28th Jan 2004, 04:55
My gut feeling tells me this is another one of RB's media stunts - but I may be wrong!:ok:

Aerohack
28th Jan 2004, 05:23
Virgin's PR people are indeed being coy about Sir Richard's pilot experience/qualifications. They do emphasise that he is strictly the reserve pilot for Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer, and that in the event of Steve Fossett being unable to make the flight, he will fly the aircraft "providing he has time to gain all the necessary qualifications". At the time of GlobalFlyer's roll-out three weeks ago he was still named as reserve pilot, but it was also stated that he "will follow the flight in the support aircraft".

WHBM
28th Jan 2004, 07:20
Hope he gets the hang of it a bit quicker than when he was doing AFF skydiving training, when on his first jump he pulled his reserve instead of his main. Instructors said he was the only person they had ever known to do this .....

DanAir1-11
28th Jan 2004, 12:47
Flyboy not pilot methinks.

But hey, it works for the man, so who am i to judge him? He's got plenty of balls and plenty of go in him so good luck to him. Self promotion seems to agree with him.

HotDog
28th Jan 2004, 13:45
He definitely holds at least a Balloon Pilot's licence. Don't knock him, he has a lot of guts, certainly more than some of his detractors and a lot more money , I might add. It's that last bit that hurts a lot of people, I imagine.:rolleyes:

av8boy
28th Jan 2004, 23:44
on his first jump he pulled his reserve instead of his main
Then that's the new standard, I'd expect. :O

Dave

Sensible
28th Jan 2004, 23:52
Why learn to bark yourself when dogs are so cheap to buy? :E