PDA

View Full Version : Nav Canada ...who has accepted offers?

EuroATC
24th Jan 2004, 18:25
Hi all,

Can anyone who has accepted an offer from NavCanada in the last 2 years or anyone who is about to accept please contact me.

thanks!!

squibbler
24th Jan 2004, 20:01
I'm about to fill in the online application for NavCanada.

Anyone info anyone has on the selection process etc would be gratefully appreciated.:ok:

Mahaba
25th Jan 2004, 18:19
Info on selection.

It starts after your cv is received although the initial mail return may take a while you don't worry...it will come. You will be sent an invitation to attend a week long assessment at either one of NAVCANADA's ACC's or one of their training facilities. You pay for your own flight, they pay for your hotel. You will be sent a cd with the MATS pt1 effectively for CANADA. You return an acceptance mail to them if you want to go. Be patient they have dozen's!!
You also send them a bond of £300 or so which is returned to you on arrival...it books your place. They collect you from the airport and give you spending money for the week. On day one you are given a three hour written test of the MATS, ie separations etc...none of ours have failed it!. Then a few days of radar assessment using their procedures on a TMA piece of airspace (maps on your cd). Then a personnel interview to make sure you arent a psycho (we struggled on that one!!). Then if all goes well you're offered a position. Centres include Vancouver, Edmonton, Winnipeg, Toronto, Moncton, though availability varies and most are now oversubscribed by the flood of MACC people going.

Downsides? compared to our choices...we don't see any.
For the info go to NAVCANADA website, employment, experienced controller program.
Good luck. :ok:

niknak
25th Jan 2004, 22:56
There seems to be a reasonably healthy flow (or is it a trickle?) of UK defectors to NavCanada, just out of curiosity, how many stay long term, or even stay put over there?

Guy D'ageradar
26th Jan 2004, 02:52
Euro(sic)ATC - itchy feet again already? All that sunshine going to your head? I hear there're a few posts in Winterpeg!!!:=

Jerricho
26th Jan 2004, 03:52
Ahhhh yes, sunny Winnipeg.

35 days and counting...............

TrafficTraffic
26th Jan 2004, 04:42
or Spelling for Guy D'ageradar's sake

:{

tobzalp
26th Jan 2004, 04:48
hay budday!

peg > pom

EuroATC
26th Jan 2004, 06:24
Stu,

No ichy feet..was all part of the plan.. We weren't coming out here to retire :).. already have the offers .. and no it's not winnipeg

ex-EGLL
26th Jan 2004, 20:44
22 years and counting!! Guess I am going to stay over here!!

ex-egll

Galaxy Defender
27th Jan 2004, 01:08
Are all the UK ATCO's who are going to Canada bound for Area/Terminal control or are any of the controllers going to Canadian towers?

Mahaba
28th Jan 2004, 02:31
Some are moving for tower. One of our number is already working in TORONTO tower and doing very well indeed, "best move I ever made". and good luck to him.
NAVCANADA are assessing for TORONTO tower with two courses running this year. It may be too late to catch the first but the second one this year starts in September. Mail the girl!!!:ok:

Fidgell
29th Jan 2004, 23:21
I agree, it sounds too good an opportunity to miss... good luck to those applying, and best wishes to those staying behind...hope you dont need it, the futures grey the futures NPC.

Out of interest is anyone here booked on an assessment this year?

:ok:

ILS 119.5
30th Jan 2004, 02:37
Just why is everyone wanting to go to NavCanada. I've been there a lot but cannot see the main attraction. Am I missing something? Also can you confirm, as the last I was aware, NavCanada operates the enroute centres and someone like Serco operate Tower and Radar Approach.

604guy
30th Jan 2004, 06:50
Navcanada operates the whole system.

As to the main attraction........well if you refer to Navcanada, I can't say. I am on the other side of the mike. If you mean the country......not enough time or space here to answer. Are there problems....he!! yes, but all in all when you look around at the options I am pretty satisfied.

Cheers!

PH-UKU
30th Jan 2004, 08:23
Good luck to all who've taken the plunge, I just hope it's not a case of frostbiting off ther nose to spite the face ...:sad:

Scotland ain't the bad old palce some paint it out ot be you know, but hey, you're all adults. ;)

Anyway, any of you noo-Canucks heading to the ATC Ice Hockey at Edmonton on 2-5 March ? If so, go and cheer on the Lucky Puckers ....... from Sunny Scotland :cool:

-35 ....... -35.......... MINUS BLOODY THIRTY-FIVE

mutter mutter .. better pack (all) my thermals

Fly Through
30th Jan 2004, 23:50
Only thing Serco does is run Goose Bay and trust me that's one hell of a long way up north!!

As for Canada, as 604guy says, just not enough space here. Just about as far removed to the UK as you can get :ok:

Save me a place guys!
FT

Mr. Pig
1st Feb 2004, 05:44
Moved up from South of the Equator last year and enjoying it. There's still room in Edmonton (I think), although there are a few Brits due to arrive later this year. About half-a-dozen expats here at present. Drop me a line if you want more info about the place.

FT - Goose Bay is about the same latitude as here (or Manchester in fact). It's not really THAT far North!

oink.:D

Coast
3rd Feb 2004, 01:34
Euro-ATC don't you know better?;)

The rest of you must love cold and snow

ex-EGLL I thought you were comming to YZ with Gummy!

XA

ex-EGLL
4th Feb 2004, 03:37
For my sins I'll be doing a midnight at the tower next Thursday

ex-egll

Coast
4th Feb 2004, 22:30
ex-egll say hi to "cheeseburger"

ils 119.5 I believe Serco operates Goose Bay and Portage tower, and personally I'd rather be where you are!