PDA

View Full Version : NATS Pyscho tests

Great Scot
23rd Jan 2004, 23:59
I've tried the search facility, but had no luck.

All I'm looking for is a simple answer to a simple question!

Where can i get good examples of the cube and diagrams tests that NATS use at the selection days? Any books/websites with tips etc. would be much appreciated!

Make my life a lot less stressful please.........

thanks

Jerricho
24th Jan 2004, 00:27
Hee hee.............psycho test.

Sure are a few of them in NATS!

Scuzi
24th Jan 2004, 01:16
http://freespace.virgin.net/at.co/home.htm

You'll find some examples there.
I did the selection tests on 15th January and have to say that the spatial reasoning paper was the hardest of the lot. I think I only managed to complete 35 out of 50 in the time given.:(
The rest were fairly easy, especially the motivation and interest paper. Having a PPL certainly helps with that one!

millerman
24th Jan 2004, 05:51
I thought the motivation paper was the one you received at the end of every month!!!:D

Baz757
26th Jan 2004, 08:37
Scuzi

I've got my aptitude tests in London on the 9th of next month.

I'm getting a little concerned about the spatial reasoning stuff. Basically I find it pretty hard and struggle to get the right answer in a reasonable amount of time. However, the examples they sent me on that practice paper were quite, dare I say it, easy.

Could you say, overall, how difficult or easy you found the tests to be on the day compared to the example booklet?

Scuzi
26th Jan 2004, 16:47
Baz757,

I suppose it depends on your own ability but in my opinion all tests apart from the Spatial Reasoning paper, started off just as easy as the examples. The questions progressively got harder, for example when matching the groups of numbers, there would be more numbers per group. I found these tests relatively easy.
The Spatial Reasoning test was a different story altogether. The first set were easy as they were just like the example booklet but the following sets were difficult as the shape of the flattened out cube changed from the '+' shape to a 'Z' shape. On each page the shapes of the flattened out cubes kept changing which did become confusing. I concentrated on getting all of mine right in this paper. Others were rushing to get it finished and were basically guessing the answers.

I'm hoping to find out next week whether or not I have progressed to the second stage. :uhoh:

Best of luck, be sure to let us know how you do.:ok:

Kirstey
26th Jan 2004, 17:37
Just out of interest.. How many people are being tested for how many college places? I'm assuming the much published shortfall of valid ATCOs is being addressed?

Barnaby the Bear
27th Jan 2004, 18:39
BAZ757 without sounding harsh, how easy one person finds it will differ greatly from the next person. You can practice certain elements of the tests, but at they are designed to test your inert skills as well.
You are either good at it or you are not. You will find other parts of the test alot easier than the others.
The best advice is to practice your mental arithmatic, and practice with spatial reasoning test books available as best you can.
Try not to panic.
All the best with the tests. Believe me compared to the RAF tests they are not so bad. :}

TrafficTraffic
28th Jan 2004, 00:22
NOTICE : please how I have said absolutely nothing

or made any comment about this topic at all

Baz757
28th Jan 2004, 01:51
Barnaby

BAZ757 without sounding harsh, how easy one person finds it will differ greatly from the next person

Of course!

I did say "how difficult or easy you found the tests to be on the day compared to the example booklet". Which would give me an expected degree of difficulty compared to those in the booklet!

Barnaby the Bear
28th Jan 2004, 05:41
Baz I apologise if I didn't understand your post properly............but you really should watch that blood pressure!:E

Honestly though good luck!

Middle Earth
28th Jan 2004, 06:05
God you're not even ATCOs yet and you're already bitching. You'll fit in just fine.

Baz757
28th Jan 2004, 06:23
if you need good spatial reasoning to be an ATCO, have you thought that you might find being an ATCO something you wouldn't be good at?

Yup it has crossed my mind. :)

But then again, the chances of every single ATCO employed by NATS being a wiz at this spatial visulation stuff is pretty remote I guess. My other skills are not bad as is my knowledge of how ATC works, so hopefully I will have a reasonable chance of success!

PA7
28th Jan 2004, 06:50
Baz757

Quote:
But then again, the chances of every single ATCO employed by NATS being a wiz at this spatial visulation stuff is pretty remote I guess.

Well mate we all passed the test :E The proof is in the pudding as it were;)

Good luck, on the first part of the long road to becoming an operational ATCO:ok:

Barnaby the Bear
28th Jan 2004, 16:10
If all else fails, you could always write L or R on the back of your hand..........:ouch: ...............Sorry I'll stop now.:}

PA7
28th Jan 2004, 16:28
I would just stick to an R on the right hand saves on ink:E

Ayr_Man
28th Jan 2004, 16:49
"Pyscho" tests

Sounds like you are halfway there mate! ("Pyscho" tests )

Take my advice and go for a flying job, most Atco's are frustrated wanabee pilots anyway, they just won't admit it.

As for Psycho tests you either have it or you don't.

Good luck

VectorLine
28th Jan 2004, 17:07
BAZ,

Don't get too worked up about the tests. They are designed to be very challenging for even those with the best aptitude.

No one is supposed to be able to complete every question - it's one of the ways of putting you under pressure. Just work through all the ones you can do, and don't stop on one particular question for too long. If you can't start to get your head round it quickly, move on or you will just be wasting time when you could get 2 or 3 others done.

Scuzi getting 35 done of 50 is quite good. I reckon I only did about 25 of them but Im fairly confident I got all of them right. I'm not sure about this, but I think that doing less and getting most of them right is more favourable than if you do lots and only get half them right.

Good luck and practice, practice, practice!

PS Great Scot - did you not read the post that is stuck second from top in the topics list?

Jerricho
28th Jan 2004, 17:10
most Atco's are frustrated wanabee pilots anyway, they just won't admit it

You speaking for yourself here? :E

Ayr_Man
28th Jan 2004, 17:25
"most Atco's are frustrated wanabee pilots anyway, they just won't admit it"

No , not speaking for myself Jerricho, I gained my wings in the RAF and would still recommend flying to any young guys before considering ATC as a "next best option" career

Jerricho
28th Jan 2004, 17:28
Just checking.........wouldn't want to be putting words in other people mouths now.

Barnaby the Bear
28th Jan 2004, 19:25
I can honestly say I never wanted to be a commercial pilot......Still collecting my wings mind. :O

Kirstey
28th Jan 2004, 20:20
Why would anyone want to program computers for a living (ah sorry I meant - FLY A COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT!!) - easy mistake

Middle Earth
28th Jan 2004, 21:16
Why do modern aircraft have rotweillers on the flight deck ?

To stop the pilot pressing any of the complicated buttons.

Why do modern aircraft have pilots on the flight deck ?

To feed the rotweiller.

Barnaby the Bear
28th Jan 2004, 22:33
I think we should stop this pilot bashing session. It will only generate and fuel a 'them & us attitude'.
Pilots do a fantastic job, and I wouldn't want to have the responsibility of landing a cigar tube with a broken engine. Plus anybody that can drink all that coffee, and talk to the pax at the same time has my utmost respect.......................DON'T HIT MY FACE!!!!!!!!!.........:E

But still good luck with the aptitude tests.:ok:

TrafficTraffic
29th Jan 2004, 04:30
My mouth is closed on this topic....

Oh ok it isnt

I always assumed you blokes in London did ineptitude tests....

:8

and all scored verrrrryyyy high

Justin Time
29th Jan 2004, 04:33
Sissy !!!!!

dannyo
29th Jan 2004, 20:48
For what its worth, I found the spatial reasoning tests tricky as hell.....but I passed and after having done the interview, await my start date at CATC.

I think the trick is not to fret too much about it beforehand. Don't watch the people around you - the ones trucking through at what seems like a million miles an hour will just freak you out. After all, they may be getting them all wrong. I think accuracy is the virtue they're looking for.

Keep an open mind and try to enjoy it.

We did ours at Kemble St. and went to All Bar One after. Cracking day out and a very drunken stumble to Kings X after;)

Lon More
29th Jan 2004, 22:34
"If all else fails, you could always write L or R on the back of your hand.........."

A long time ago a Belgian trainee at EBBR had that tattoed on the back of his hands.

Didn't help when he cleared "Le Grand Bazaar", (Sabena B747 OO-SGB) to turn, ".... left at the next taxiway on the right ...."

And the idiot did !!

Add two to the number of unemployed Belgians, they probably went on to become politicians