View Full Version : Driving licence endorsements

tom24
23rd Jan 2004, 23:44
Hi all

I intend to have a FATPL early 2006 with the intention of eventually flying jets after maybe (probably, though not necessarily a bad thing) having to do some time on turbo’s/instructing .

In 2001 I was convicted of drink driving. By 2006 I will be classed as rehabilitated. However, I will have an endorsed driving licence until 2012!

My question to you AIRLINE PILOTS is, at any time during application were you asked about the status of your driving licence? Did you have to produce at any time? Would you say it will be a big obstacle in obtaining employment with the airlines?

Your help appreciated!

B2N2
24th Jan 2004, 20:54
Would think so yes........
In the US the're wild about it, since it stays on your record for 75 years!
Not too sure about regulations in the UK but would imagine that somewhere during your interview process they'll ask if your license has ever been suspended or revoked...
If they verify I don't know.

Paracab
28th Jan 2004, 03:59
tom24,

Unfortunately you now have a criminal record for life, but, after 2006 when you are considered to be rehabilitated (or your conviction is 'spent') you will not have to disclose it to some companies in accordance with the rehabilitation of offenders act (if you applied to them now, you would have to disclose it).

Your best hope is to wait until 2006 and apply to companies which recognise the act, however I feel in this day and age, many aviation companies will be exempt from the RofO act and will want to know EVERYTHING about you.

sss
28th Jan 2004, 05:10
this did come up about a month or two ago, if you can trawl through the previous threads you may be able to track down the full subject

mattpilot
28th Jan 2004, 09:20
... on the record for 75 years in the US? i don't think so.

Like most things, DUI's also disappear from the permanent record within 7 years.

witchdoctor
28th Jan 2004, 18:16
Sorry to say it, but I think you'll have a hard time about it if they find out. Not sure if it is something that may come up on your security check by then. You'll need to consider whether honesty may be the best policy here.

You only have to look at the absolute hysteria that greets every announcement of a pilot being dragged kicking and screaming from the flight deck because he/she was allegedly pissed (OK, exaggeration but you know what I mean). And that is just on pprune, never mind the media.

The airlines will want to cover their backs. You can imagine the field day The Sun would have if a pilot was found to have a history of drink-driving and subsequently pulled off the aircraft on suspicion of the same. PR nightmare.

It's a tough call, but a problem of your own making I'm afraid.

tom24
28th Jan 2004, 18:37
All comments appreciated here.

All my own making – agreed. Typical actions of me? Certainly not. Anyway, its done and that’s that. I’m sure there are pilots out there who have committed a greater sin than mine. As for those pilots who have been dismissed for being drunk on the flight deck, well, I have zilch sympathy for them. After all the heartbreak, uncertainty and money they would have put into it, to just go piss it down the drain? Hypocritical? I think not. Maybe they were sponsored students at some point who never actually realised what they had as a jet pilot….

Airlines only require basic disclosures as far as I can tell. I can’t see this changing in the near future, so the conviction element shouldn’t prove too much of a problem. As for the endorsement, from looking at a few examples of application forms, only two of the airlines specifically ask about driving records, so I may just get away with it. On that basis, I guess the airlines don’t use it as an automatic bar. I guess if you make it to initial interview, give a good performance then the company may well think you’re worth the risk. Still, I could just wait another 7 years till the licence becomes clean – no way, tomorrow is another day.

Cheers

tom24
28th Jan 2004, 21:46
having a legal background I should know

Yes, you should really. Well, depending of course whether you are involved with criminal law.

I don't know how it is confusing. I am aware of the relationship of my offence and what the Rehabilitation Act 1974 says. My original question was intended for current airline pilots with in depth experience of the application and assessment procedures in relation to drving licence endorsements.

eagerbeaver
30th Jan 2004, 16:28
You will have to disclose it. IF the company doesn't ask, then you are not a liberty to tell, but when you apply to Disclosure Scotland who do a basic background check for your airside pass all criminal offences/endorsements will be on the certificate when you hand it to the nice person who makes your security I.D.

In short, if they ask then be honest if they dont ask then i would try and find the right moment. If your conviction is spent then its no-ones business.