View Full Version : Filing a flight plan when crossing an FIR

big.al
20th Jan 2004, 21:48
Haven't got my texts book with me, so perhaps you folks can help clear up a simply query.

I know that if crossing the FIR boundary to France or anywhere else occupied by Johnny Foreigner, I have to fill in a flight plan. But what about if crossing the FIR boundary between the London and Scottish flight information regions?

I've never flown up North of Hadrian's Wall yet, but hope to do so soon. I thought that the flight plan was unnecessary, but a fellow PPL with more experience told me a flight plan was needed as the route crosses an FIR boundary.

No big deal to complete a flight plan, but this got me thinking about someone based near the boundary who may cross and re-cross the boundary if on a local VFR jolly, for which the completion of a flight plan seems a bit much. I know you can complete a flight plan for any flight, but what the heck would you put on that one?

Genghis the Engineer
20th Jan 2004, 21:59
No. The UK ANO doesn't require it when staying within UK airspace.

But There's some nasty terrain up there, and if you aren't certain of a radar service all the way, it might be prudent.

G

RodgerF
20th Jan 2004, 22:00
There is no requirement to file a flight plan in this situation.

R

Circuit Basher
20th Jan 2004, 22:02
No, flight plan is NOT required for crossing the Scottish / English FIR boundary, so long as you've completed the customs declaration and shown your passport and grandmother's birth certificate at the port of departure! ;) :D

Also, since BSE, export of left handed haggis from Scotland has been outlawed (although they seem to have forgotten about the right handed ones!!) ;) :D

FlyingForFun
20th Jan 2004, 22:28
No. The UK ANO doesn't require it when staying within UK airspace.It certainly seems that's the case, according to people who live up that way. But I can see why Big.Al is confused, because my textbooks quite clearly say that a flight plan must be filed when crossing any FIR boundary.

Is the exemption written down anywhere? The ANO? I'm sure it is - I just can't find where...

FFF
---------------

Chilli Monster
20th Jan 2004, 23:19
because my textbooks quite clearly say that a flight plan must be filed when crossing any FIR boundary

Of course - what the books should say is "A Flight Plan is required when crossing an international FIR boundary, unless an exemption is permitted".

Exemptions being some places in Europe allow flights between certain airfields which are in different countries but are effectively local flights due to the closeness. These places are specified in the relevant countries AIP and the planning pages of Bottlang.

RodgerF
21st Jan 2004, 00:03
FFF

The reference you are searching for is in the AIP ENR 1.10,
paragraph 1.4.2.
subsection (f) For all flights to and from the United Kingdom that will cross the UK FIR boundary.

(1.4.2 deals with the situations where a flight plan is required)

Fly Stimulator
21st Jan 2004, 00:10
I can see the potential for an amusing tug of war on this issue one day, with EASA on one side arguing for the abolition of intra-EU flight plans, and the likes of the Scottish Parliament, Welsh Assembly, Ken Livingston et al lobbying for their introduction as proof of the independence of their regions! :rolleyes:

FlyingForFun
21st Jan 2004, 00:20
Thanks Rodger - that must be the one I'm looking for! Will track it down and read the small-print when I get a few minutes to spare :ok:

FFF
--------------

Mike Cross
21st Jan 2004, 23:36
FS

You got your crystal ball out? I just received this!

"The European Commission (EC) has placed before Council and Parliament proposals for the creation of a Single European Sky (SES). The SES shall be introduced at the end of this year though the practical implementation will of course take longer. The first stage is the establishment of a single UIR for Europe (EUIR) at Flight Level 285 and above. Thereafter, the EC is required by the end of 2006 to place before Council and Parliament proposals for the extension of the SES to all European airspace.

The EC has identified a requirement for a single AIP to cover the EUIR. A study contract has been placed to research the subject and to make recommendations on implementation. The contract became effective in mid-December 2003 and shall be completed in September 2004. Clearly, there is a need for public understanding and consultation to support the Study. Three public Workshops are envisaged. The first, the objective of which is to inform stakeholders on the scope, objectives and methodology of the Study is to be held on the afternoon of Tuesday 27th January in the EUROPA Room of EUROCONTROL starting at 1300. The second will be held on the afternoon of 25th March again in EUROCONTROL, meeting room to be decided. The third and final Workshop will be held at the end of June in Brussels, the exact date(s) to be decided, at which the draft report will be presented for discussion.

The purpose of this AGORA posting is to inform you on behalf of the EC of the Study and to invite you to participate in the Workshop on the 27th January. Registrations are required and should you wish to do so then please contact [email protected] "

What, me worry????:ugh: :\ :ugh:

Mike
for AOPA UK