PDA

View Full Version : Charges for Aeronautical Information

Mike Cross
19th Jan 2004, 17:54
We all use Flight Guides, Charts, GPS databases etc, all of which contain information derived from the AIP, AIC's and NOTAM (collectively known as the Integrated Aeronautical Information Publication (IAIP)

There are currently close on 200 ICAO contracting states, each with its own IAIP.

Airservices Australia are trying to assert copyright on the information within the Australian IAIP and charge for its re-use, story
here (http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/mediainfo/press/Archive/prarchive2003/PR11_03.asp)

Jeppesen have refused to sign and the case is now to go to court with AA seeking a declaration that they own the copyright to the info.

Eurocontrol has a "Copyright and Service Charging Policy Implementation Task Force" within the European AIS Database (EAD) project so if AA win it opens the door for others to follow. If all ICAO States started charging costs would increase significantly.

Products which incorporate info from the IAIP and which would be affected by the implementation of licensing fees include:-

Briefing Services
Charts
Flight Guides
Approach Plates
GPS databases
Flight Planning software (e.g. NavBox)
Simulators
FMCS

Personally I do not like the idea of charging to make safety related information available. I also find it difficult to see how you can copyright facts such as an aerodrome's opening hours or the length and orientation of its runways. I acknowledge that it is possible to copyright their presentation, e.g. maps, diagrams, tabulation and page layout.

Opinions anybody?

Mike Cross
for AOPA UK

topcat450
6th Feb 2004, 19:15
I'm with you, in this day & age, when safety is the no.1 priority, not matter what type of flying you do. Commercial or GA...Safety is always number one.

So by charging for safety related data, such as NOTAMS, airfield plates some people in an effort to save money and cut corners will be tempted to use out of date data, or not use the latest versions, which is just asking for trouble. Surely the powers that be can see that?? Or is it just me being blonde and missing out on something really obvious?

steamchicken
6th Feb 2004, 20:45
Back before I went straight and kicked my economics habit, I remember that the classic example of a public good - one that was of equal benefit to all and could not reasonably be restricted - was a lighthouse. I think the same principle should apply here.