PDA

View Full Version : What is happening at bmi??

Angel23
15th Jan 2004, 20:54
What is happening at bmi, yet another senior manager is flying the nest??....(excuse the pun!)

Nico UK
15th Jan 2004, 21:37
Why, what have you heard???

Little Blue
15th Jan 2004, 21:54
go on gissa clue!!!

Fuji-san
15th Jan 2004, 23:15
Does this 'Senior Manager' fly a desk.............

or the 'Real Thing'........?

Rhoada Gorrocks.

Angel23
15th Jan 2004, 23:19
It's not a desk flyer, as always it's one of the good guys!
I'm sure all will be revealed shortly watch this space.........

Resdogs902
15th Jan 2004, 23:42
C'mon Angel 23 - that's like saying I know the lottery nbrs for Saturday but I'll tell you on Sunday!

Scudrunner
16th Jan 2004, 00:13
C'mon even his initials would do!

gmidc
16th Jan 2004, 02:23
Nice timing whoever it is.

If you haven't heard, the senior management are all due a substantial (10% of their annual salary) bonus this month if they have met their 'objectives' for 2003.

Do you think the rest of us mere mortals will get a bonus for doing our job last year?

No I thought not..........:rolleyes:

Little Blue
16th Jan 2004, 02:27
I know how I'd like it to be !!!
:ugh:

Angel23
16th Jan 2004, 03:05
A very good source NOT bmi has revealed Dave Owens is coming to Easyjet......what a sad loss for bmi

I wonder what drove him away!!!!

juggler
16th Jan 2004, 03:13
I knew Dave when I was a trainer at Midland. Never thought anything would drag him away from his beloved Long Haul!
Well done Easy.
You assume, Angel23 that Dave hasn't just had an offer he can't refuse?
Wonder who will get the Long Haul job now .....
First Richard Hill, then Pete Mitch now Dave :{

Little Blue
16th Jan 2004, 04:43
Blimey....is he taking Marianne with him?
Hey Mazza?...Who's gonna take yr place on the slot desk?
;)

Busta Level
16th Jan 2004, 05:49
Good luck to him! ;)

Great guy who has seen the light. Easy are lucky to be getting him. A consumate professional, who always judges fairly - a very important quality in a training manager.

shafted@work
16th Jan 2004, 07:56
What is happening at bmi??

Morale has not been this bad for a long time. Not even a christmas card this year.
Loyal Senior FOs in the pool for virgin and many of the rest looking around for the first time since they joined, heaven forbid BA should recruit....

It all seems a bit rudderless. If there is something good being planned in the background I think the troops need to know. Please tell us soon, as a large number of us have decisions to make soon.

It's a shame to see D.O go, as it was P.M. If many more good ones leave then... well.....could the last one please switch the lights out.
:sad:

Anthony Carn
16th Jan 2004, 13:51
..........the troops need to know.

Please tell us soon..........
How long you been with bmi?????

Keeping the troops informed as soon as something is known. Yeah, right!

Dream on! :rolleyes:

B737NG
16th Jan 2004, 14:39
In a lot of these outfits the morale is low at the moment. A lot
of shakend the whole industrie recently. It is time that the
recruiting machine is taking off again and then those who did
not treat theire boys and girls good in the bad times they will
see revenche for that. And something else skippers of all kind
be good to your F/O he can be your Boss in the next position
you apply for. So treat them nicely and you will be treated nice
as well.

NG

Max Angle
16th Jan 2004, 17:50
Topic: What is happening at bmi?? Not very much is the answer. A trooping contract to the Falklands and a new 5 x a day to ABZ are hardly earth shattering. The people sitting round the boardroom table need to pull their collective fingers out or shift their collective arses out of it.

Goodness Gracious Me
16th Jan 2004, 18:08
I understand that Bob J was always supposed to be taking Dave's job. Bob's a great guy & will do a great job but maybe Dave got :mad: off enough by that to look elsewhere - I get the impression office politics had a part in this. If it's true about Dave's departure, it is, as you all say, a very sad loss to the company & training dept.

I totally agree with shafted@work. It's about time the "management" sorted themselves out & started looking after the troops. The pilot management are mostly a nice bunch of guys (with the odd exception) but they seem to forget about the guys at the "coal-face", probably because they're being worked to the bone by the organ grinders above them, without the resources they need . As for the CEO...:mad:. We still haven't even had a memo/letter about the new ABZ/INV/NAP routes which were announced on the company website over a month ago. Pathetic. No info about what's going on with the Fokkers. No info about what's planned for the A319s. No info about what's planned for the 3rd A330. No info about potential commands (or lack of them). No info about anything.

As soon as Virgin get the nod from the EU for the Oz route, there will be a whole load more excellent guys leave bmi, not that they care in the slightest. Just open another tin....

Busta Level
16th Jan 2004, 18:55
No info about what's going on with the Fokkers. No info about what's planned for the A319s. No info about what's planned for the 3rd A330. No info about potential commands (or lack of them). No info about anything.

You missed out 'no info about our payrise', which, so far this year, has amounted to a 4% paycut while the issue sits in the company 'in-tray'. :mad:

Firm Touchdown
16th Jan 2004, 19:02
I understand that this is not yet official.

Should D.O. really be moving to pastures new then the very best of luck to him.

In case this is just a rumour, then we maybe should consider how the idle gossip may affect his credibility within his current organisation and thus not say any more until it is official.

I am sure the Ops Director would rather hear from the party concerned before from rumours from elsewhere reach his desk.

Show a little respect gentlemen.

Busta Level
16th Jan 2004, 19:30
FT,

It is true - from the horses mouth. Otherwise I would have kept quiet as well. It is 'official' as of today.

juggler
17th Jan 2004, 00:29
Just got off phone to a friend back in UK who said not only Dave to Easy but Roger Markwick as well! Rog and Dave back together and training Airbus!!!!!
Rog was Dave's mentor and I for one would be very tempted to go where the good guys are rather than back to bmi.
The two of them really care about TRAINING not testing.
Also heard a lot of the best FO's from LHR are off to Virgin - how many others will now go to Easy for an early command and to be trained by and work for Dave?
What are the rest of Easy management like?

Angel23
17th Jan 2004, 00:50
Easy management have to be one of the best....there is no cloak and dagger business, you don't find out news via the media first
or by rumour which is then denied by memo (think virgin!)

Maybe the `management team` at bmi should review their communication network and grant the mere mortals some inside info, then and only then will they recieve the respect they so desperately need and be able to `keep the good guys`

Anthony Carn
17th Jan 2004, 13:57
The following is purely ficticious. Think of it as an interlude to the important issues being discussed.

"Lets treat them pilot thingies like garbage. Make some of en so fed up they resign.

That'll get rid of some lazy pilots well up the payscale and replace em with new ones right at the lowest pay level.

Get rid of some Captains, ditto the above. They're too big headed anyway, thinking they're in charge of my aeroplanes, indeed.

What's that? Not enough Captains now? Never thought of that. Well, just promote a few of those F/O thingies! Not enough experience? Well, just change the requirements then!

This is great, we've saved £1.50 this month already! I'll have a pay rise, then!

What's that? Lots of inexperienced pilots out of their depth? Pah! If anyone screws up, just sack em! Call it pilot error. That Union won't bother us.

Accidents? Pah! Pilot error! Sack em! (Don't forget to collect the insurance).

God, Im a genius! £1.50 saved. Pay rise for me. Genius."

Sorry you lot.........carry on. :rolleyes:

MissChief
18th Jan 2004, 15:28
Not sure he is such a big loss to bmi..., but Dave Owens certainly is..sad to see the company in such low spirits. :cool:

KingoftheRoad
20th Jan 2004, 17:36
Roger M was certainly not everyones cup of tea I know, a maverick you might say! but he did set up the Airbus training programme at Midland almost single handedly. His watchword was always TRAINING, not checking - and to my mind was one of the most enlightened sim instructors I have ever met.
David O was brought in to the training team by RM as he obviously recognised a young enthusiastic talent who had a big future ahead of him.
If this rumour proves to be true, and it has not been officially announced at either bmi or easy as far as I know? then easy will have gained for itself a respected and enthusiastic pair of Airbus trainers. bmi being the big loser.

IMHO, of course.

Roger Miller.

lamina
21st Jan 2004, 03:25
I've just had this vision, I can see it now, the topmost tier of management reading this now. God they must be most chuffed, the troops all pished-off, excellent, we must really be succeding!

Please guys, just realise this company will never, ever change its attitude to staff. Its the way the mills used to work you know, crickey, how they must despise you all for fighting all these years for wage rises (well not this year) and allowances etc. They would never have allowed it in the 19th century you know.

Tony_EM
21st Jan 2004, 04:11
Sad but true Lamina.

More than once, I have suspected that the practice of keeping staff disgruntled and departments at each others' throats is more of a stratergy than a symptom of incompetence and malice.

I really do believe that the management has a pathological fear of what the workforce is capable of if it just stuck together.

Then I think of the single brain-celled organisms that like to think of themselves as the duty controllers and line managers. Its hard to imagine them understanding and executing such a devious strategy, any strategy for that matter.

My final conclusion therefore is that they are just reeping the unexpected benefit of incompetent management who's main task is to hide their true incompetence via dishonesty. Neither high nor mid management want to rock their own personal gravy boat.

I have always wondered what bmi was capable of once the layers of stale wallpaper were removed.

KingoftheRoad
22nd Jan 2004, 00:02
Still no official word on DO & RM moving to EZE...........

Anyone heard otherwise?

Roger Miller.

Angel23
22nd Jan 2004, 00:20
As far as I know RM is up and running at Easy, as for DO well it's just a matter of time. . . . that is unless bmi have any sense and offer him a package he can't refuse...ha..ha..ha!!

anoxic
22nd Jan 2004, 03:33
"Maybe the `management team` at bmi should review their communication network "

- none exists; either management or communication.

On a different tack, ref communication:

bmi regional have heard officially that 2 fokkers are to be wet-leased to them fairly soon, possibly based at LBA - no communication from mainline at all. Any info anybody?

Fuji-san
24th Jan 2004, 18:29
So, it would indeed appear to be true that Roger M is at easy, good luck to him. No doubt he will be on the phone to the many A320 type rated pilots who were laid off by bmi last year.

However, all has been very quiet concerning Dave O, was this just a wind-up, a bit of 'kite-flying' perhaps ??

Has anyone heard it 'from the horses- mouth' so to speak ??

Maybe Angel23 or juggler (or should that be juggler23?) enlighten us ??

Rhoader Gorrocks. ;)

Busta Level
24th Jan 2004, 21:04
Ok - for the last time....

Not a wind up. It is true.

Not speculation. It is true.

Not a rumour. It is true.

As I said - from the horses mouth (ie the man himself).

Got it?! :rolleyes:

@Fuji-San -

all has been very quiet

It is bmi - as detailed in the posts above, why should the workers be told anything? :p

Fuji-san
24th Jan 2004, 21:29
Well that's a great shame then Busta, I only asked as nothing official had been heard, and I rather hoped it wasn't true! This is a rumour forum after all.

In that case, perhaps you would like to speculate on who you would & wouldn't want to see as a replacement.

Fuji-san.

Busta Level
24th Jan 2004, 22:26
In that case, perhaps you would like to speculate on who you would & wouldn't want to see as a replacement.

Ohh no...I'm not even going down that path ;)

KingoftheRoad
24th Jan 2004, 23:53
GOODNESS GRACIOUS ME said he thought Bob J. had already been pencilled-in for the post, that's fine, but Bob doesn't fly the type yet, and is a long way off the 330.
Maybe it's time to split the short/long haul training roles?but that does seem a bit profligate in these financially tight times!
How about Chris T, he's got all the bits of paper, flies the type, and is a nice guy to boot.
Oh, and by the way don't forget Capt.C. who has been almost invisible for a long while now.

Roger Miller.

Goodness Gracious Me
27th Jan 2004, 18:28
Bob J is on his conversion course as we speak, if he's not already finished it. Won't take long to get on the 330 if that's the plan. He's a decent guy who works his backside off which is why he was/is in line for the job.

Capt C is (I believe) not flavour of the month by some considerable margin, particularly with a certain fleet manager. ;)