PDA

View Full Version : Marshalls branch out into ATC contracting?

niknak
14th Jan 2004, 02:37
Rumours abound that Marshalls of Cambridge are moving into the ATC Contracting business.
Anyone know any more? ;)

Findo
14th Jan 2004, 05:39
Yep ... my understanding is they have a contract to refurbish a whole course of 1970s ATCOs (equivalent in numbers to 3 courses today)

The first delivery of 1970s model ATCO is expected to take at least a month to refurbish. In line with modern standards there will be a weight reduction programme which will strip off some layers of accumulated excess weight.

Modern day avionics will be installed which should produce the required distant .. dish .. dish .. dish ear sounds required for tube riding.

There may be some updating of phraseology memory chips but this is still in doubt because the CAA may yet revert to Avoiding Action phraseology which is instinctive and works. A 3 part safety case and business analysis is being carried out by a small (30 person) team of Lockheed Martin subcontractors and will produce an interim report within 3 years of billing the company.

Marshall's admit to being challenged on finding the method of removing the independent thinking streak which seems to be ingrained in these older models. It is believed a computer model of the bionic "Thatcher's Child" will be tested against the older models. The older models will have to have the large grab arm which is a prominent feature of the Thatcher models.

Field testing is booked for winter 03/04 in Sumburgh where 5 updated models will be required to handle 300% of last week's traffic whilst sharing a room in the Sumburgh hotel.

Marshall's are confident that at least another 10 years of productive work will be extracted from each of these models but long term believe a collaboration with our Spanish cousins will produce a European standard. The "Manuel" model from Spain is believed to already be in the UK and resting in an hotel in South West England. It may be Faulty right now but as it is a prototype for NATS future Centres programme Marshalls are confident they have found a world leader in ATC.

MasterCaution
14th Jan 2004, 06:13
Apparently so: http://www.marshallas.com/. Looks like the sights are set on regional airports. Now which one is nearest to start with...

And they are partners with Serco on the tanker bid.

MC.

niknak
15th Jan 2004, 02:45
Thank you M.C. - but Findo's reply is far more laudable :p

Loki
15th Jan 2004, 03:45
I ought to be in line for refurbishment, will it include a follicle replacement programme?

TrafficTraffic
15th Jan 2004, 04:38
I thought you meant we were getting Sky Marshalls in the Ops Room to help prevent Hijacks........

It raised all sorts of concerns for me....who would be in charge of getting the coffee, would they be armed, could they discharge their weapons ;) in the ops room....