PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Met Question

Jinkster
12th Jan 2004, 22:37
What is the usual procedure when encountering CAT en-route?

a) request climb to get out of CAT
b) turn around immediately
c) descend immediately
d) accelerate through it and stay level

Could anyone please tell me the correct answer for this questions as I am getting mixed opinions B or C.

Thanks

M.85
12th Jan 2004, 23:50
if you turn around because of clear air turbulence..your operator may not like it:\
I believe you should read about what CAT is associated with.....youll get the answer yourself that way.

M.85

witchdoctor
13th Jan 2004, 21:05
One of those wonderful JAA questions where the reality is probably very different from the text book answer.

The sensible options are a or c, though c I think is the answer the examiner is probably looking for. M.85 is right though - running away is not an option and the cleaners and lawyers might not thank you for d.

With a (text book) jetstream, the worst CAT is just below the jetstream axis, on the cold side of the jetstream (on the RHS if you are flying west over the Atlantic). If you descend, you should be able to clear this turbulence. However, if you climb, you may well encounter an area of secondary CAT which is found just above the jetstream axis. A good diagram would probably make this clearer.

The problem in reality all depends on exactly where you are in relation to the jetsream in the first place (ie, in the primary or secondary CAT zones - assume primary for the question), and what options a combination of ATC and performance restrictions place upon the flight (you may not be able to climb due to weight for instance). Have fun.:D

Dick Whittingham
15th Jan 2004, 00:45
I've queried this with Jinkster on the JAA side on the Wannabes forum. So far as the real world is concerned you could do worse than read up on the subject in The Handbook of Aviation Meteorology, pp 81 through 83, with the diagram at fig 36.

CAT is generally of small vertical extent, so a change of height is probably the most straightforward way out.

Dick W

Jinkster
15th Jan 2004, 01:45
DW and others,

Many thanks for all the help

Jinkster