PDA

View Full Version : Your logbook

genius747
12th Jan 2004, 07:52
I am just wondering how other pilots do things with their logbook.

I have heard of some people that sign their name accross each logbook page they complete... looks more official I'm told?

After you finish a page in your logbook do you simply leave it and turn over, or sign it?

Also under the heading PIC.. do you fill in your own name in full or simply write "Self"?

Cheers lads and lasses!

Monocock
12th Jan 2004, 13:26
Never heard of anyone signing across the page! Sounds rather extravagant to me. Let's face it, if it's your logbook with your name in the front and your hand written entries, do you really need to convince yourself even more that it is yours by signing it on every page?

As for the PIC bit, I was always told to put SELF.

Wouldn't worry too much about it really. I write all sorts of things in the Comments section so I can look back after several years now and remember each flight really clearly. Each time I get it signed off on my biannual I think the CFI has a good read!!

Capt BK
12th Jan 2004, 15:56
I was never really encouraged to fill in comments, it always just seemed like somewhere my instructor signed and filled in but looking back now I wish I had put details in of those early flights.

I would never have dreamed of signing across the page. My logbook used to be immaculate, and my instructor used to say I had the neatest logbook he haad ever seen. I used the same pen, block capitals, as neat as I possibly could etc and then when when I passed my GFT - WHAM - the CFI goes and stamps a great big red stamp across the page!

But anyway, to answer your questions and stop me rabbiting on... My logbook has a little part at the bottom right of each page to sign and I always wright SELF - its shorter then my surname!

CBK

Whirlybird
12th Jan 2004, 16:55
It's your logbook; within reason you can do what you like. I never thought of signing each page, but there's nothing to stop you. I put in details of each flight - and enjoy looking back at them. If there's a reason to I put in passenger flying, eg if it's a long trip where two of us swop over on each leg, so that I can see what actually happened. That's quite legal so long as you leave the hours column empty. I don't worry about neatness; to me, my logbook should reflect my life. So it's written in different pens, has odd bits written by instructors (including signatures in Russian), has fingermarks, cat paw marks, probably tearstains... It's been to the CAA several times, and no-one's ever complained. :ok:

FlyingForFun
12th Jan 2004, 17:12
Just another voice to add to the remarks about the "Comments" column - definitely the most important column in the logbook, IMHO.

FWIW, I write "Self" in the Captain column when I'm P1, but it doesn't make much difference. Never heard of signing each page before, but as others have said, no reason not to if that's what you want to do.

FFF
-----------

RodgerF
12th Jan 2004, 18:53
The new logbooks seem to be coming out with a space at the bottom right of the odd pages to sign 'Hours certified correct'

witchdoctor
13th Jan 2004, 03:23
Logbook always filled in as 'SELF' when I have been PIC (imagine the confusion if you had an instructor called Self:confused: ) and it has a box bottom right of each double page for a signature. Seeing as the CPL cost me so much I like to sign it and fill in all the boxes just to feel I got my moneys-worth.:8

BEagle
13th Jan 2004, 03:29
Whirlybird - that's the way logbooks should be! The odd coffee splash, oil stain, grubby finger mark, photograph....and paw print! Far more character than something which looks like an old-fashioned bank ledger!

Khaosai
13th Jan 2004, 05:17
When I started two crew flying I used to get the Capt to sign both sectors until reaching the magic figure for the ATPL issue. Didn't want any reason for the CAA to return said book requiring it to be duly signed.

ACW 335
13th Jan 2004, 05:32
Logbooks are to me a personal thing. I have stuck pictures in mine and theres quite a coating of tip-ex in places!
I always write self in PIC but write my surname in P2 for some reason. Don't know why...just force of habit! Comments is also as someone pointed out the best column :ok:

Whirlybird
13th Jan 2004, 15:51
Khaosai,
It's similar thinking that accounts for all my Russian signatures. I was hourbuilding, and didn't want the CAA to query it, so I got my instructor to sign every line. After a bit it got to be too much hassle - and I'd defy anyone to know if the illegible scrawl in Russian was a signature or one of my cats messing with a pen! So I stopped; I had the airfield stamp, receipts for payment, photos, all sorts of stuff, if I needed proof. In the event I didn't...but I like having the signatures there anyway. :ok:

Ropey Pilot
3rd Feb 2004, 03:16
My nice new shiny (and sadly pretty empty):( civvy logbook has a nice space for the signature on each page.

Got into trouble myself early on in my mil logbook for putting my surname down as either P1 or P2. If you fly with someone who has the same surname the surname of the PIC doesn't tell you anything!:}

Fuji Abound
3rd Feb 2004, 05:30
I keep my log book on an excel spreadsheet because I cant add up! I then transfer the enteries to my official log book.

The reason I mention that is I started keeping an anotated record just on the spreadsheet of each flight. Sometimes it is a simple comment like "bit bumpy, intersting x-landing", or "XYZ, nice pub lunch" sometimes a bit more involved. Anyway I now find it interesting looking back and it reminds me of flights I would have long forgotten.

Capt L
3rd Feb 2004, 14:47
I was always told you couldn't put liquid paper (ozzie tipex) in your logbook because it is a stat dec, so mine is full of little crossing out's with little signatures next to them. :(

My logbook also has loads of pages at the front for things like ratings and endorsements, at the top of each page it has a space for my name and ARN. So when I got my SPL I filled in every page with my name and ARN, only problem was it wasn't my ARN, but the persons who issued the licence. So I had to go through a cross them out, so right from the beginning I've has a messy logbook.

BEagle
3rd Feb 2004, 15:26
I still think that Whirlybird's logbook sounds the most traditional - pawprints and all! Mud, oil, blood, beer and a few signatures - your personal logbook is personal to you. As long as the Authority or an Examiner can establish the facts needed from it, it doesn't matter (in the UK at least) what it looks like!

IO540
3rd Feb 2004, 16:32
Monocock,

What if more than one person flies, and one of them is called John Self :O

Northern Highflyer
3rd Feb 2004, 18:29
My Logbook ?

Would that be the one the CAA has had for 3 weeks now just to put the word "Night" onto my licence ? :mad: :{

charlie-india-mike
3rd Feb 2004, 18:33
Northern Highflyer

No, Its the one that I have just today received back from the CAA after 7 weeks. Complete with a folded A5 bit of paper with IMC on it

C-I-M

LowNSlow
3rd Feb 2004, 18:45
My logbook started off well for the first page anyway..... Now the writing is in whatever colour the pen nearest to me was.

I always use Self as the name of the P1 and also fill out the Comments column to jog my memory. I picked this up from my dad who has wonderful 40's era comments in his logbook such as "wizard prang, heavy flak, came home on 3 engines" as a description for a successful daytime excursion to a certain German oil refinery! Makes my "ADF not working again" or "returned early due to bad viz" look very tame indeed!!

18greens
3rd Feb 2004, 19:29
Definately agree with Whirly and Beagle. Get as much life in your log book as possible.

I wish I could think of a way to get photos of the people I fly with in there without making it too thick.

I flew with a WWII bomber pilot the other day, he brought in his log book which was full of comments that brought it to life. Since they never landed anywhere (on purpose) a list of Scampton to Scamptons would have been a bit dull.

(Edit: Looks like LownSlow beat me to it. serves me right for taking a lunch break while posting)

ozplane
3rd Feb 2004, 23:55
Just had a look at my PPL logbook as published by AFE which claims to meet all the regs required by the ANO and JAR-FCL 1.08 for single pilot aeroplanes. It has a space at the bottom right hand corner for a signature on every Totals page so I guess it must be in the ANO somewhere.