PDA

View Full Version : Career Instructing??

Foz2
11th Jan 2004, 23:24
Hi,

Just wondering with the airline job market being pretty hard to get into is there much of an oportunity to make any decent money in instructing? ie becoming a CPL instructor etc. What do CPL instructors get paid and how much is the course to become a CPL instructor? Any inside views on the job would be great.

Thanks very much

Foz2

Foz2
12th Jan 2004, 17:19
Are there any CPL instructors out there with some advice??!!

IRRenewal
12th Jan 2004, 19:54
There is no course to become a CPL instructor, you just have to be accepted by an FTO providing CPL courses. You don't even need to remove the instrument training restriction.

Don't know what they earn, but would guess £30/H upward.

However, don't get exited too quickly. Unless you have a fair amount of instructional experience most schools won;t look at you because you are too much of a risk to their statistics and pass rates.

Cheers

IRRenewal

Foz2
12th Jan 2004, 20:07
Thanks for your post,

You dont know roughly how much instructional experience you would need do you?

Cheers

Foz2

robione
16th Jan 2004, 00:37
1000 hrs instruction seems to be the norm to be accepted as a CPL instructor[AT THE BIGGER WELL KNOWN ESTABLISHMENTS},that figure was gleaned when talking to prospective employers.Bae Jerez, and one in Malaysia.The more ratings u get the more attractive you become,IMC,IR, etc, and when FTC in S.A. was around they were prepared to employ me with 200 hrs instruction to do CPL instruction[hard to believe i know] i never did take the job.

FMIRC
21st Jan 2004, 20:34
The prospects for CPL instructors should soon be very good with the more experienced chaps being taken on by the airlines. There is no specified minimum number of hours to be able to instruct for the CPL. However I would always look for an instructor with at least 500 hours of reasonable ab-initio experience and preferably one I'd trained myself - you also have to have had the resriction lifted. Rates of pay will vary from school to school but IRRenewal is about right I think. The more basic qualifications you have (I/R ME-FI) the better placed you will be to earn a good income, but you can add these as you progress through the system. Choose a good FTO to begin with and you should do well.
Good Luck

Foz2
23rd Jan 2004, 23:54
Thanks very much for your help, most useful.

Cheers

Foz2