PDA

View Full Version : recurrency

Tonic Please
11th Jan 2004, 21:29
Hi.

I posted this in the CANADA forum, but I am not sure that everyone reads that, and I think broadening the horizons of my post will result in more views thus more chance of the answers I need. Sorry if I put this in the wrong forum however.....

Hi all. I tranied at the Victoria Flying Club at VIc Intl Aprt and got my PPL there. I am returning there in Feb (2nd) to get some hours on it as later in the year I will be extremely busy etc. Anyway, the manager informed me that I must do a "re-test" so to speak, which meant going up with an instructor to make sure I am safe enough to fly.

Well, i got 132 on my flight test (highest 140, min pass level 75 i think) so i am quite good at flying and all, but I just want to know what is involved in this retest?

Is it very formal like the flight test? Or is it just a casual fly around with an instructor (not neccersarily the CFI) where im PIC, and he just asked me to do some things...shows me some things...refreshes my brain a bit and then says ok your good and puts it in my log book?

Thanks for the replies.

Smooth skies, Dan.

rotorcraig
15th Jan 2004, 03:53
Myself and a couple of friends fly in the UK with three seperate clubs. The common rule of all three are that if you haven't flown in the previous 28 days (or haven't hired from that club before) you need a "check ride" with an instructor (doesn't need to be CFI). My understanding is that this is linked to their insurance.

Whether that means a quick circuit, a few refresher exercises such as PFLs or a longer session is entirely down to how you feel when you get up there, and how the instructor feels you perform. Certainly approached as "instruction" rather than "test" in my experience.

I wouldn't worry about it, why not phone and ask how much time you should put aside for this (eg book a session in it's own right, or allow a quarter of an hour at the start of your first SFH session assuming all goes well)?

RC

S-Works
15th Jan 2004, 04:49
Perhaps your thinking that you are good at flying is the reason?

Flying is about currency not about the score that you managed on the day of your test!

The test they are talking about is most likely just a revalidation, you will be surprised and probably a little scared at how much you have forgotten and how little you really know.

Have fun!

Tonic Please
15th Jan 2004, 06:05
Cant agree more Bose-x!! I am not the cocky type. I was just making a point that I did pretty damn well, and I was trying to imply that hopefully that would reflect on the type of answers I would get.

Anyhow, I have since got a reply from the manager of VFC. To sum up, its basically everything I did on the flight test. PFL's, forced ;andings, weight and balance, aircraft performance, stalls, slow flight, steep turns...etc!!!

Ok, so I have gotten my book out that I used to study for the flight test, and it has all the procedures (inclouding weight and balance) so I have got 3 weeks to read that.

Thanks for the replies. I now know what I have to get prepared for.

Im not too worried about it, but I know I have got to read and memorise as much as I can.

Hope I dont come across too cocky..thats the last thing I want :)

Dan