PDA

View Full Version : VFR to an airfield in Class G

vfrflyer
11th Jan 2004, 20:15
Well the grotty weather seems to be upon us.

Is is still for the pilot flying in class G do decide if VFR ?

Or will atc decide for them, push the VFR flight into an IFR procedure and them MOR the pilot that was operating VFR for not having the IFR procedure plate??

OR IS IT JUST CRANFIELD THAT DO THAT

goddammit
11th Jan 2004, 20:23
Hmm, I read about that.

Did ATC pushing a vfr flight (without the approach plate ) in to an IFR situation also warrant MOR action?

aviate1138
11th Jan 2004, 20:31
vfrflyer said in part.....
OR IS IT JUST CRANFIELD THAT DO THAT?

As a VFR only happy flyer I avoid Cranfield [ usually enroute from east to west and vice versa] as they have in the past come up with goodies like..... "proceed direct to Junction 13 on the M1" and such rubbish.
Or get you orbiting for absolutely no reason whatsoever. I listen but avoid calling as I am usually well outside their zone and am travelling at no more than 90 kts.

Aviate1138

Bright-Ling
11th Jan 2004, 20:37
My understanding is that ATC can only refuse to issue a VFR dep clearance if the weather is below the minima IF they are in a Control Zone. (remember the halcyon days at the College of ATC saying "unable to issue a VFR clearance what are your intentions?")

With regards to a zone transit, again I believe that it is for the pilot to determine whether or not they can fly VFR.

Vfrflyer - Have Cranfield filed on you then???

terry1261
11th Jan 2004, 20:44
cranfield did mor such an occurence last year.

Timothy
11th Jan 2004, 21:17
Is there a URL to read the details?

There has been a long relevant thread on Private Flying (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113173) over the last few weeks.

Will

Chilli Monster
13th Jan 2004, 03:25
VFRflyer

A thought for you.

If you were VFR why did you let yourself get pushed into an IFR procedure? Did it not occur to you to re-iterate you were VFR, being captain of the aircraft and therefore final arbiter of which flight rules you wished to fly by?

Like I said - Just a thought.

(Be careful when you throw a boomerang - it'll only end up coming back at you twice as fast :cool: )

vfrflyer
17th Jan 2004, 22:15
CHILLI
The pilot concerned did, and was then harrassed by ATC at a time of high cockpit workload.

softlyspoken
17th Jan 2004, 22:21
I've experienced similar at cranfield from one particular member of the atc team.

When i attempted to discuss the matter informally, to resolve any confusion, the chap in charge wasn't very helpful at all.

ozplane
17th Jan 2004, 22:34
Just come back from Turweston to our farm strip which meant an overflight of Cranfield. Called 5 minutes out and told them I was at 1,700 feet to maintain VMC and would like an overhead transit with FIS. The lady on ATC came back with "Report the M1" then "Report Overhead" and finally "Report leaving the frequency". She was busy with other transits and circuit traffic but it was all very straightforward and I felt it was very professional. What I think I'm saying is that if you make clear your intentions, Cranfield ATC have always been very helpful in my experience.

Chilli Monster
17th Jan 2004, 23:44
The pilot concerned did, and was then harrassed by ATC at a time of high cockpit workload.
I suspect this is one of those occasions when it is definitely necessary to hear both sides of the story, especially as I believe I've seen a write up of the situation which tells a slightly different story :cool:

goddammit
18th Jan 2004, 00:59
The atcreport summary i read was weighted against the pilot. It is possible atc wrote it that way deliberately, but let's not forget the summaries often don't recount the story as accuratelt as the original report!

terry1261
18th Jan 2004, 01:25
It WAS Filed that way on purpose, to lay all blame at the feet of the pilot

Timothy
18th Jan 2004, 02:25
Can I ask again for a URL to read this stuff.

pretty please

Timothy

Spitoon
19th Jan 2004, 01:17
terry1261, can you give a bit more information about why it WAS filed in that way. Are you saying that it was not the pilot's fault but he got the blame in the MOR ...... or what.

P.S. What are you Manager of? It it relevant in the context of this thread? :confused:

goddammit
19th Jan 2004, 17:53
"As these are anonymous forums....."

SOME CHANCE!!

2Donkeys
19th Jan 2004, 23:12
Another vote in favour of Cranfield ATC, if they need it.

I've been based there for many years as a private owner, and have heard each of the ATC team there at different times dealing with some quite incredible stupidity from various pilots both visiting and home-brewed.

I have never come across any situation there in which there has been any uncertainty at all about whether an arrival is under IFR or VFR. Where such doubt exists, the onus is in any case on the pilot to specify the type of clearance required if he either doesn't wish to, or cannot comply with the clearance he has been given.

vfrflyer
20th Jan 2004, 20:31
"...any uncertainty at all about whether an arrival is under IFR or VFR. Where such doubt exists, the onus is in any case on the pilot to specify the type of clearance required if he either doesn't wish to, or cannot comply with the clearance he has been given."

The pilot WASN'T uncertain, perhaps the atc management would me more receptive to comments from a local supporter that obviously knows what's what

goddammit
20th Jan 2004, 20:37
"Another vote in favour of Cranfield ATC, if they need it."

I believe it's a story of chief and indians, the indians are very good.