PDA

View Full Version : best GA magazine?

lfc
11th Jan 2004, 03:50
i subscribed to the 'Pilot' magazine, heard good things about it. is that the best GA magazine around?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
11th Jan 2004, 19:43
It's a matter of personal opinion. Mine is that 'Pilot' has lost the magic it had when owned by James Gilbert and edited by him and the old team. It's sad that that has happened, but probably inevitatble - the days of a totally independant and sometimes outspoken top selling magazine are probably over in this litigious and uniform (lack of characters:() age. still a good mag, though, and very like 'Flyer' now. I subscribe to both.

SSD

lfc
11th Jan 2004, 19:56
what about flight international, heard from someone that its also good. any views on this ????

Airbus.De
11th Jan 2004, 20:05
Flight international has a big Commercial slant.

lfc
11th Jan 2004, 20:16
im 17 and a wannabe pilot. i subscribed to 'Pilot' magazine as something to read every month. Was it a good choice?

Monocock
11th Jan 2004, 20:54
lfc

As a sunscriber to several magazines my advice is as follows:

If you're a wannabe "commercial" pilot buy Pilot and Flight International.

If you're a wannabe "private" pilot buy Pilot, Flyer or /and Today's Pilot (all very good).

If you just want to find out a bit more about aviation in general then you have done the right thing with Pilot. It covers a bit of everything. Training, personal GA experiences, classic flying, a/c for sale, a/c articles, heli's, micro's and those engineless things we can never see in the sky too.

I just wish I didn't have to receive a flippin' Transair catalogue inside every feckin month when it gets delivered!:suspect:

Timothy
11th Jan 2004, 21:29
Although I am an occasional contributor to Flyer, I think that I can remain reasonably detached.

I would say that five years ago Pilot was hugely better than Flyer, especially in the variety and quality of material.

However, over those five years the quality and editorial values of Pilot has descended rapidly, while those of Flyer have improved, albeit more gradually. The last few issues of Flyer have really been very good, and I would say that Flyer is now definitely in the ascendancy.

Early editions of Todays Pilot were so bad that I haven't managed to bring myself to buy any more recently.

Will

futurshox
11th Jan 2004, 21:52
WCollins, I must disagree with you - I find Today's Pilot to be a very informative read. It offers articles about a wide range of topics that appeal even to non-PPL holders such as myself. There's something in the magazine for everyone.

I admit to some bias as I do contribute to the magazine but I would hold the same opinion of its content regardless.

I have read other magazines and find Flyer to be pretty good, but Pilot is very lacklustre to my way of thinking, although I've always enjoyed the "I've learnt about flying from that" series. To each his own.

Evo
11th Jan 2004, 23:06
At the moment I prefer Flyer - I think that Pilot had a major wobble a year or so ago, and although the quality has picked up quite a bit since then it isn't quite back where it was. I don't read Today's Pilot, but that's just because I already get Pilot, Flyer, Popular Flying and the American AOPA magazine... :O

Timothy
11th Jan 2004, 23:19
futurshox

You are not really disagreeing with me...as I said, I haven't looked at it since the first two editions, which I am sure you will agree were pretty awful.

It may be great now...I don't know.

Will

Zlin526
11th Jan 2004, 23:46
IMHO of course:

Pilot - Was once the leader, now only good for a laugh at what the magazine 'experts' write. Aerohack, please come back and show them how..... The recent 'How to' on short landings was a classic!

Flight International - Best read from back to front:ok:

Today's Pilot - Was a bit of a spotters mag to start, but this months issue was excellent. A very good profile of Nigel Lamb, a good flight test of a Lake Buccaneer derivative, and some good classifieds. A fair mix of everything GA, and readable.

Flyer - Not bad, definately taken over from Pilot as THE GA mag.

Popular Flying - Ok if you like plastic aeroplanes and adverts.

The AOPA magazine is promising, but looks so much like Pilot magazine did just before it was sold to the Archant Group, that I think I AM reading Pilot Magazine!

As with everything, everyone will have different opinions. Best go and buy the lot and make your own mind up.

And I agree with Monocock, please stop inserting Transair catalogues with ever issue. If I want something from Transair, I know the number!:E

Talking of Popular Flying and Pilot, whatever happened to Peter Underhill? He of the flight tests dept....

Shaggy Sheep Driver
12th Jan 2004, 00:58
Talking of Popular Flying and Pilot, whatever happened to Peter Underhill? He of the flight tests dept....

Peter did wonders with 'Popular Flying', turning it from a worthy but dull publication into a real magazine that was a good read. I've not heard anything of him since he and the PFA parted company (don't want to go into that on this public forum) but would love to know if he's still involved in GA.

I was an occasional contributer to 'Pilot' in the James Gilbert era so maybe biased (I don't think so though - I wrote for the mag I most respected and felt closest too) and I too enjoyed Peter's flight tests.

SSD

bcfc
12th Jan 2004, 02:32
I must be in the minority then in thinking Pilot has picked up from a dodgy period a year or so ago and now a very good read. Was dubious about re-subscribing last year but lately, its the one I read cover to cover and I’ve just renewed my subs (gone for the watch offer too – which I may regret)

I subscribe to all three and get Popular Flying too (although I have zero interest in dihedro rocker-flanges so its generally in the recycle box before the weeks out).

Today’s Pilot is a bit in the wilderness between the big two but its still worth the three quid or whatever. I thought it had a niche in the learner, low-hour PPL but its trying to mimic Flyer and not succeeding.

I think we’re quite fortunate with the publications on offer.

IO540
12th Jan 2004, 03:14
The thing I like about Flyer is that it is willing to discuss matters relevant to modernisation, for example modern avionics, not generally publishing the standard utter drivel about GPS that most other pubs keep doing, and in particular its recent article about the FAA IR was great to read.

In fact I was astonished that a UK GA magazine would publish something which is bound to get up the CAA's nose as much as mentioning the FAA IR (and the N-reg of aircraft which that directly implies).

The other mags seem to be firmly in the days of WW1/WW2 flying which is fine for those operators and fans but in my view GA (or, more precisely, the £10 a time airfields and facilities we are all used to) will vanish unless it is dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century (21st would be asking too much).

Unfortunately ALL the magazines regularly publish stuff which is simply wrong. A frequent example is discussing aspects of maintenance, without mentioning that most of what is mentioned is illegal unless the plane is on a Private CofA or a Permit. I suppose they assume that somebody reading it will know enough to know that. There is also a lot of stuff which is specific to a particular plane but definitely wrong for others, without this being said.

High Wing Drifter
12th Jan 2004, 05:56
The thing that gets me about GA mags, is there isn't really much to say that we should not already know. Pilot seems to get around this by discussing all'n'sundry. I always feel that Flyer and Today's Pilot (to some extent) is a little too much like a serialised Thom book with better pictures.

Diamond 'katana' geezer
12th Jan 2004, 06:52
IMHO i found this months edition particularly awful. I picked it up with a great picture of the Lake aircraft on the cover. Quickly i flick to the article. Great pictures. I start reading.

Being a low hour PPL i would like to see how it compares to what i know Cessna's PA-28's etc. What i find is an egotistical boast of the authors/pilots ability. Soon i grow tired and bored of a pilot that is blowing his own trumpet.

I found this particular authors jounralism diabolical. I really wish i could fly that partcular aircraft and am interested in finding out how. The answer i was given was, you're not able to fly this aircraft and i am so HA!

It is all to do with personal opinion and this authors writing style was very showing of his own personality.

Its a shame that my views were tainted, a found a good article on flying over London later on.

Flight International i find a good impartial read that gives a great insight into the operation of the industry.

Another inarticulate and misunderstood post :(

Geez

Say again s l o w l y
12th Jan 2004, 07:40
Apart from Flight International, I think they are all 'comics' (no offense to the Beano intended.)

In every mag I've had the misfortune to read I've found at least one serious error.

The worst was a couple of years ago when Pilot (I think) printed an article about revalidation of the PPL, but got it totally wrong. For nearly a year we had to defend the AIC "'cos that not what it said in Pilot......"

I had a flick through Pilot today and was bored within a couple of minutes. This is a record since I usually can amuse myself with anything about aviation. My girlfriend dispairs since I have a copy of 'Turbo and Supercharging' next to the bed. (No smart comments please!!) So if I can't be amused, then there is something seriously wrong.

Since we're moaning about them, what could the mag's do to interest all of us here?

Kingy
12th Jan 2004, 08:05
Well, I get all three major GA mags plus Popular Flying, I too lament the demise ofthe 'old' Pilot and find all three pretty equal these days. I rate them at about 6/10 with each having a few articles worth reading in each month. I have a good laugh at the 'how to' sections - does anyone that that seriously?

I hate to say it, but PF isn't great. It takes me about an hour to read from cover to cover with the standard of writing, in general, being poor.

Kingy

Big Pistons Forever
12th Jan 2004, 08:14
I have been a long time Pilot reader. It certainly had a rough patch last year but is coming back although IMHO it will never equal the Gilbert days. In any case the worst UK flying mag is still better than the best North American periodical. FLYING in particular has to be the biggest disapointment. Oh for the glory days of the Seventies when the likes of Gann, Garrison, Park, Baxter and Gilbert were regular contributers. I still reread those old issues just for the sheer enjoyment of great aviation writing.

CPilotUK
12th Jan 2004, 09:41
I subscribe to both Todays Pilot and Flyer and looking to take out a subscription for Pilot. I find that having all three, I have a greater chance of finding something interesting to read each month.

I really don't think that any one magazine is better than the other because they all seem to cover, more or less, the same topics.

Aim Far
12th Jan 2004, 17:20
In any case the worst UK flying mag is still better than the best North American periodical. FLYING in particular has to be the biggest disapointment.

Yes, but we miss so many classics over here. Like the letter I saw in the "ask the experts" section of SW Aviation magazine where the letter writer was worried about being on an airliner during the second coming of Jesus. He was worried that the pilots would be taken off to heaven for everlasting peace, joy etc and the passengers would be left to plummet. He asked whether airlines have a policy about making sure that, if the captain is a "believer", the first officer will be a non-believer.

If you want to liven up Pilot, Flyer or Today's Pilot, get your letter-writing hats on.

BTW, Flyer gets my vote but its marginal. I can't buy more than one each month because, apart from the one or two lead articles, they all tend to print the same stuff.

formationfoto
12th Jan 2004, 20:16
Private flying in the UK is really quite a small market and the fact that it supports so many magazines never ceases to amaze me. The downside of this is that each of the mags has to operate on a relatively small budget.

Stick them all together and they could probably afford the best writing, the best pics, and real involvement with the development of private aviation.

Whilst there are three newstrade private pilot mags out there the resource is always going to be shared.

I happen to be associated with one of the mags so want make any comparisons between them but it is fair to say that between them they cover the market well and do a good job (and i include in this the AOPA and PFA mags).

down&out
12th Jan 2004, 20:19
Yes, but we miss so many classics over here. Like the letter I saw in the "ask the experts" section of SW Aviation magazine where the letter writer was worried about being on an airliner during the second coming of Jesus. He was worried that the pilots would be taken off to heaven for everlasting peace, joy etc and the passengers would be left to plummet. He asked whether airlines have a policy about making sure that, if the captain is a "believer", the first officer will be a non-believer.
God help us! :rolleyes:

strafer
13th Jan 2004, 21:32
I think all GA magazines suffer from the fact that there are so many different aviation types that they have to appeal to. From the silly men who think that closed cockpits and wheels the right way round are the work of the devil, to airline wannabes.

Anyway, which is the best? Flyer - no contest. John Farley's consistently excellent and the free landing fees more than pay for cost of the mag.

ACW 335
13th Jan 2004, 21:51
IMO all of the mags like pilot, todays pilot and flyer are all overpriced for what they are. Some articles really interesting overs just a pile of sh*te. I never really buy magazines unless flicking through them on the shelf theres something really interesting. For xmas i got a years subscription to Todays pilot.

Does anyone else find that they all seem to contain similar content...?

BlueRobin
13th Jan 2004, 22:34
Shaggy, James Gilbert now has a column in FLYER.

KCDW
13th Jan 2004, 22:53
Surprised at some of the lacklustre support for the mags. I subscribe to Flyer, and read it thoroughly. I think it pitches the articles just right for the average GA pilot. For example I particularly enjoyed this month’s article on transits through busy airspace by one W. Collins!

I’ve even gone and done some of the stuff recommended in the mag, flew in Portugal based on an article, and did my IMC inspired by another one.

Well worth the money in my view.

Oddly the one feature I read last or never is Farley’s column. Don’t know what it is - just his rambling style I think.

Shaggy Sheep Driver
13th Jan 2004, 23:34
BR - yep, seen it.

KCDW - you don't rate JF??? Each to his/her own, I suppose....

SSD

niknak
14th Jan 2004, 02:54
This subject was done to death last year on this forum, there were some fairly frank exchanges of views about Pilot post - Gilbert, and I was one of the majority who considered it had gone rapidly downhill.
I don't subscribe, but I have bought it on a reasonably regular basis since, and it definately has improved, generally (apart from the bloody awful "I went here via there and then somewhere else" articles) the content is an interesting and for the most part, an informative read, and I don't think it can be beaten for the quality of it's photographs.
Occassionaly I'll buy the others, (and regularly read the company copy of Flight :E ), but as an aviation professional who doesnt fly, I'd recommend Flight on a regular basis, and read of the others as and when you can afford it.

Timothy
14th Jan 2004, 03:08
For example I particularly enjoyed this month’s article on transits through busy airspace by one W. Collins!Aw shucks :\

Chuck Ellsworth
14th Jan 2004, 04:02
I sort of liked that four page article in FlyPast about the PBY, in the Jan, 2004 issue........

Timothy
18th Jan 2004, 20:47
I suppose it's bad form to mention an edition which has carried an article by yourself, but I have to say, leaving my article aside completely, I thought that this month's edition of Flyer was possibly the best ever.

The range and interest of the articles was wide...from an unusually interesting gliding piece and the restoration of an interesting tiddler to information that we all need to know about the future of 100LL/Avgas, an interesting range of products in Top Gear and an interesting range of issues in Flying Docs, overall the photography was good and beautifully reproduced.

I do think that Nick and Ian should be congratulated on a marked improvement over the last year or so, and should be encouraged to keep up the good work.

Timothy