PDA

View Full Version : Can you recommend a U.S FTO for a P.P.L?

Irishtjs
10th Jan 2004, 07:54
I am looking for an honest recommendation for a flight centre in the U.S to complete a P.P.L and to do some hour building.

It doesn't have to be Florida, although the weather is normally the best out there.

Thanks

I

Charlie Zulu
10th Jan 2004, 14:29
Hi Irishtjs,

In the summer and autumn you'll find Florida has good weather except for the daily thunderstorms. Sometimes the thunderstorms can last quite a long time.

During the late morning / early morning the clouds will start to build, you could probably stand there watching the clouds from from nothing, to a small cumulous, to a towering cumulous through to a full blown thunderstorm.

The weather is normally really nice in the morning during these times in Florida.

As for California, they have lovely weather, the clouds don't form quickly like they do in Florida, if they do have clouds then they're normally due to a weather front etc.

However the SoCal area in California, especially near the coast have a morning phenomina called a "marine layer". This is a blanket of cloud, mist and sometimes drizzle that moves in over the Pacific at night. This lowers the weather down to IFR levels. If you're instrument rated then get on top, usually 3000' to 4000' will put you above the marine layer.

BUT the marine layer typically dissapears through the morning until its totally vanished by mid to late mornings.

The marine layer doesn't happen every day, its now and again as far as I can see.

Both Florida and California are great places to fly, personally for Hour Building / Flying Holiday I would choose California as the scenery and places to go are so much nicer than those in Florida. For training then both Florida and California are good bets.

If you were to go to Florida then I'd recommend NAC. The only school I've had experience with in California are ADP and then its only for renting aircraft.

Have a great time in the USA.

Best wishes,

Charlie Zulu.

JABI
10th Jan 2004, 15:13
Weather is generally very good in Florida, even in the summertime.
Yes,you will have afternoon thunderstorms, but before and after it's pretty much unlimited visibility.
Most schools will not allow student solo cross countries to depart after 10:00AM so that everybody's back before the storms hit.
With a bit of planning never a problem.
Can not recommend NAC though, after their troubles in feb2003 they've decommisioned half their fleet (sold or for sale) so all the good planes (172R) are gone:ugh: :ugh: :ugh:

J o e r g
10th Jan 2004, 15:19
Hi,

I can also recommend a couple of schools in
California. Southern CA, L.A.-basin ...

I strongly advise to take your time and do as
much research as you can. Lots of places out
there … especially in the U.S. …

http://www.aiaflight.com
http://www.sunriseaviation.com

There is a flight school at my homebase CCB.

http://www.flycableair.com
http://www.cableairport.com

Website needs lots of improvement, but give
them a call. Very friendly environment.

There are also a few schools you may want to
stay away from. One is @ Bracket Field POC.

Keep southern California in mind: the airspace
will be a great classroom for your radio skills.

Get sure you have necessary funds available.
Sometimes people seems to forget about the
money while thinking and dreaming about a
start in aviation. You have to invest for sure
some $$ ahead – but it’s worth it.

Don't end up at the wrong place just because
you think you'll save a few $$.

If you need more information: please feel free to
contact me by eMail …

Best,

J.

NACGS
10th Jan 2004, 19:00
Jabi - looking out at the ramp here at NAC on saturday morning(0700hrs) I see at least 18 NAC planes, including new C172r's. Some of the others have already left for flights, and some I know are down at the hanger.

Backontrack
10th Jan 2004, 20:10
Irishtjs

I have a slightly different angle for you to consider. Think about getting your PPL in the UK and then going out to the states, Florida or California to do your hour building. This is a personal choice ofcourse and I do not intend to inflame those who got their PPL stateside.

During my flight training I have visited South Afrcica, Florida and Claifornia. I finished my PPL in the UK and was visiting all the above on both a holiday and to build hours. I found the SA school I visited to provide a poor standard of PPL training and most of the British guys there were a little concerned at the standard of tuition they were receiving.

I have been to NAC in Florida and they were of a very high standard, just did a check flight with them but their staff, aircraft and facilities were very good. This was however prior to their recent troubles last year, which I am led to believe are sorted. They are worth consideration.

However, I did most of my hour building with one of the Southern CA schools mentioned above and would not recomment them at all. Again this is a personal opinion but I found them a poor example of a flight training organisation and their aircraft leave a little to be desired in the maintenance stakes and they don't like it when you send them tech!

This is why my advice would be to get your PPL here and go to CA as the environment is great for hour building, you'll encounter all the landscapes you could wish to see, Desert, Coastal, Mountains etc. The environment is so flight friendly that you can fly into any field and find great facilities. You'll also get the cahnce to become accustomed to density altitude issues, I learnt some very valuable lessons and feel a better pilot for it. You don't need it to be a JAA school in order to just hire an aircraft and I did approx 60hrs of my time with a private club that flies out of Montgommery field in San Diego, do a web search you'll find them. Oh, and the marine layer only kept me on the ground approx 2 dyas out of 20 and this was only until about 10am.

Whichever way you do it, it's gotta be right for your circumstances. Just make sure you enjoy it........... Good luck.

Flying Felix
10th Jan 2004, 20:18
I have flown in Florida a number of times and have visited a few schools. The best time of the year to go is spring or late summer/early winter. Summer is hit daily by thunderstorms.
The schools are only as good as its instructors and their commitment (remember that these guys only get paid about $10.00 per flying hour). Be aware of schools offering guaranteed passes. You will pass and return with the paperwork for your licence, but you will be lacking in depth of knowledge. I spent 3 months at one school that provided 21 day guaranteed PPL courses, I would ask students a simple question “When in a turn you need to increase back pressure to prevent loss of height, but what causes the loss of height?” Very few were able to answer. In other words they knew what to do but not why. I would strongly recommend that you take and pass all the ground school subjects before going to the States. The 21 and now 14 day courses don’t allow for weekends and can get very tiring.
You must also anticipate problems with weather and aircraft, so it is a good idea to add at least 1/3 to your total planned time. The profit margin at flying schools is very small and so most of the aircraft are maintained as close to the bone as possible, if an instrument is broken and is not really required by the school in that aircraft (RMI, VOR, second radio etc) it won’t be replaced, and lets be realistic how well do you treat a hire car. Aircraft not used frequently will be just left on the ramp; this then leads to problems when they run it out and seals start leaking, which is then eating into your available time.
You need to be aware what the training packages covers and what it doesn’t. The cost of extra training, flight tests and accommodation can make a marked difference to your budget.
Don’t think I’m the voice of doom and gloom I really enjoy flying in Florida and if you email me direct I will name names of schools with all the dirt and gold stars.

Ninety-Nines
11th Jan 2004, 00:55
Whilst I appreciate everyone has a different opinion I would like to clarify some errors in your post as I pointed out in a personal message.

1. NAC still have C172-R
2. NAC still has a large fleet of aircraft..

IRISHTJS

I would certainly recommend some good long trips across the country - really gives you a broad range from flat lands, to canyons to deserts to large cities to very large airports :D....a great amount of experience and confidence can be gained.

If you are completing your JAA licence then you will need to attain an FAA licence at the same time in order to rent without restrictions. The flying will be no problem but there are some small requirement differences that are required, the matter of a written test and a oral & flight test.

Have a blast flying in the US!

Nikki

strafer
13th Jan 2004, 21:45
I would ask students a simple question “When in a turn you need to increase back pressure to prevent loss of height, but what causes the loss of height?”
Gravity?

On a more serious note, Irishtjs - if you looking for a JAA PPL, make sure the school is approved for JAA training. There's a list on the UK CAA site (and presumably the IAA also).

Sensible
14th Jan 2004, 01:47
I can confirm that Naples Air Centre has 172's having seen them only today. I can also confirm that for school airplanes they are in exceptionally good nick and have interesting toys like GPS onboard. The school is very professionally run and the facilities appear first rate. The designated hotel is close by and Naples airport is towered, essential in my view for training. Weather here is great, blue skys and temperature 22C 10kt wind All in all, thoroughly recommend it. Just a word of warning, get the airplane back on time or you will incurr the wrath of the boss lady!