PDA

View Full Version : Multi-Engine Piston Rating

Hampstead
9th Jan 2004, 20:19
Can anyone tell me whether it's possible/allowed to start training for a MEP rating before having the 70 hours P1 needed for the actual rating submission ? My case is that I've got around 60 hours P1 on a PPL(A) plus night and IMC. Most of my recent flying has been in a TB20 so I've had the complex differences training too.

thanks

Hampstead

FlyingForFun
9th Jan 2004, 20:25
From LASORS, Section F (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_F.pdf):An applicant for a class rating for a single-pilot MEP (Land) aeroplane rating must produce evidence of having completed a minimum of 70 hours as pilot-in-command of aeroplanesIn other words, you do not need to have 70 hours PIC in order to start training, but having completed the training, you won't be able to apply for the rating until your PIC time has reached 70 hours.

FFF
--------------

Flyin'Dutch'
9th Jan 2004, 21:19
HS,

As FFF says there is nothing from stopping you doing the training but no issue until 70hours PIC in that logbook.

The twin rating is good fun and all additional training makes you a better pilot, in fact it was the first add on I did once I had my PPL.

However if you don't have ready access to a twin, have you considered doing an IMC/Night rating. They are likely to give added skills which you can use more frequently.

FD

rustle
9th Jan 2004, 21:50
Hampstead says: My case is that I've got around 60 hours P1 on a PPL(A) plus night and IMC.

FD says: However if you don't have ready access to a twin, have you considered doing an IMC/Night rating. They are likely to give added skills which you can use more frequently

Sounds like he did consider it, FD :p

Noggin
10th Jan 2004, 15:55
Neither the IMC course nor the night qualification will incease your PIC time by more than about one hour!

It is theoretically possible to do a PPL on a twin and gain the 70 hours PIC required flying the twin "solo" however, I doubt if anyone would insure you.

Flyin'Dutch'
10th Jan 2004, 17:01
Doh!

:}

FD

sottens
10th Jan 2004, 19:09
Since we are more or less in the same subject, I am writing my (many) questions here.
I am about to finish my PPL(A) in Switzerland, and am considering getting some time off to go and do my IFR or maybe even more (Multi-engine?).
My questions are :
- can you enroll for IFR directly after the SEP-PPL? what is the minimum hours you need (I've heard 50), and does the same rule apply that the one mentioned in FFF's comment?
- how long does it take?
- is it possible to do it in a non-JAR country? Australia for example?
- has anybody any experience with training in Spain

that's all that came through my head so far :8

regds
ck

Flyin'Dutch'
11th Jan 2004, 02:53
can you enroll for IFR directly after the SEP-PPL?
Have a look at the CAA website here (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_E.pdf).
You will see that you will need 50 hours cross country as PIC, so that is unlikely to have happened upon issue of your PPL.

how long does it take?
How long is a piece of string? You will need to do 55hours flight training and you need to do the groundschool and sit the exams.

is it possible to do it in a non-JAR country? Australia for example?
For a JAR licence you will have to do the training for with a JAR approved FTO; dunno if there are these in Oz; there are some in the US. You can also train for any ICAO IR and do the conversion when you are back here. That takes the groundschool and writtens and 15 hours flight training and the checkride.

has anybody any experience with training in Spain
Not me!

HTH

FD

sottens
11th Jan 2004, 18:48
You are right FD.
But the exact wording "applying for an IR(A) you must produce evidence of having met the following flying 55..." does not tell if it is applying for the course or for the exam.
Now that I read it again, I have the impression that it's "applying for the exam" - which would mean that you can collect your 50 hours of PIC during your instruction. And that's exactly where I'd like confirmation.

And thank you for the link - very useful.