PDA

View Full Version : Met book recommendations

bcfc
9th Jan 2004, 16:43
This may have been covered recently but I have the memory of a goldfish and searches didn't help.

I'm looking for a good common sense book on meteorology. All the heavyweight text books I've read are too heavy and scientific. To give you an idea, Irv Lee's articles in Flyer are pitched just right.

Someone recommended Brian Cosgrove's Pilots Weather but it seems aimed directly at Microlighters and before I stick another £14 in Amazons coffers, I want to hear what others think.

-bcfc

Whirlybird
9th Jan 2004, 18:23
I'd second the recommendation for Brian Cosgrove's "Pilot's Weather". It's aimed at anyone who flies, not just microlighters. Easy to understand, practical, has all the stuff you need - and bits you probably don't but might like to know, but in a dirrerent colour. Well worth the 14 quid or whatever it is. :ok:

dublinpilot
9th Jan 2004, 18:56
bcfc,

Not sure if you want the book for exams, or simply to help with your understanding.

I found Alan Watt's book "The Weather Handbook" excellent for my understanding, and forecasts. Having said that, it's not aimed at aviation, and not particularly suited to exams.

dp

Genghis the Engineer
9th Jan 2004, 19:17
I'll third the Cosgrove book.

Brian's a microlight man, but it's not a microlight book - equally it is a book for qualified pilots, it's not aimed at passing any particular exam.

G

dirkdj
9th Jan 2004, 21:20
Not really a book, but I very much liked the CDROM 'Aviation Meteorology' from Oxford Aviation Training.

There are two kinds of people: 'readers' and 'listeners'.

A reader can take a book and absorb whatever useful information it contains, a 'listener' falls asleep after a couple pages.

On the other hand a 'listener' will clearly remember any oral explanation in fine detail many years afterwards, while the reader will vaguely remember in which book to find the explanation.

I recently helped a 'listener' friend pass his written IR test, apart from me reading him the whole book, the only thing that worked is a CDROM with pictures and sound.

This CDROM is a miracle for 'listeners'.

Arclite01
11th Jan 2004, 03:49
What do you want it for - For the PPL or just for reference purposes ?

RodgerF
11th Jan 2004, 16:34
I have a copy of Tom Bradbury's 'Meteorology and Flight' 1996 edition.

Quote from the introduction

'This book is chiefly for those who fly for enjoyment and would rather look at the view than concentrate on the instrument panel. It is not intended as a text book on Meteorology, but as a guide to some interesting features of the weather that affect flying'

Just my 2 silver groats worth.

Noggin
11th Jan 2004, 18:30
For a good theory book; Handbook of Aviation Meteorology Met O 630 (AP3340). The original RAF Met Reference book.

For a good practical book, Pilot's Weather by Brian Cosgrove is about as good as you will find anywhere. As well as being a microlight pilot, he was a Flying Met Observer during the war.

bcfc
12th Jan 2004, 02:17
Arclite01 - just for general interest.

The Cosgrove book seems worth a try. I enjoy Irv Lee's Weather Watch articles and basically looking for this level of explaination in a book. Irv - if you're reading this, ever thought of getting Flyer to consolidating them all & publish them?