PDA

View Full Version : Tayside Aviation, Aeros - Do or Dont?

wbryce
9th Jan 2004, 03:29
Hi,

Just a quick question, ive expressed an intreast in aeros in the past, ever since those lovely cadet flights :D

Ive desided to do my training at Glenrothes (NPPL) and want to know if its possible that Tayside can provide some sort of Aeros training? i dont want to ask them as i dont really know anyone there yet, and i feel if i ask them, that i could be pushing it a little as i haven't had my first flight yet (schedualed for sunday, if wx permits)

I know they have a Cessna Acrobat (i think thats what its called)

and a katana Da20 (can this plane handle aeros?)

fingers crossed the weather permits :)

DB6
9th Jan 2004, 04:12
At present Tayside don't have any aerobatics instructors as such, although I'm sure some would be willing to demonstrate the odd manoeuvre. I was teaching aeros at Tayside (Dundee) until recently but I've just joined an airline so can't do anything at the moment, however it is my intention to do some more in spring/summer so if you're still going to be there something can possibly be arranged.
They have Cessna 152 Aerobats (not Acrobats) which will do basic aeros; the Katanas can't (in the UK anyway). Don't worry at all about asking them - you won't get anything if you don't ask. The CFI is a chap called Bob Malcolm - good egg - he'll happily answer any of your questions.

wbryce
9th Jan 2004, 04:29
DB6, i will most likely still be around in the spring/summer....

Good luck with the airline, what aircraft are you going onto just out of curiousity?

DB6
10th Jan 2004, 02:45
Saab 340, Loganair :ok: .

juggernaut
10th Jan 2004, 06:58
If its serious aeros your after then I suggest get a few hours under your belt before ringing Dia Heather Hayes at Perth, he operates a Pitts Special S2 and is usually happy to oblige if you give reasonable notice. The cost is reasonable too having had a go. You can get hold of him at Tayside Perth.

nosewheelfirst
10th Jan 2004, 09:04
A certain Kiwi instructor of mine at Tayside demonstrated a few manouvers (I was there 2 summers ago) but none are qualified to teach them. The Aerobats are capable of the basic manouvers. Remember if you don't ask you don't get.

Sassenach
12th Jan 2004, 17:29
I know it's at the other side of the country, but you could also try contacting the Prestwick Flying Club. They offer aerobatics on either a Chipmunk or Bolkow Junior at very competitive cost. The club is excellent and the quality of instruction is very high indeed. A number of members come from the East of Scotland, including Fife. Visit their website at www.prestwickflyingclub.co.uk.