PDA

View Full Version : UAE jobs with Serco

Lock n' Load
8th Jan 2004, 19:25
Hi All,
I'm thinking of applying for a job in the UAE and have a few queries for those already there or recently returned home.

1 - Is there a good working envoirnment with decent kit and good relations between local and ex-pat ATCOs?
2 - Is management and more or less supportive than most ATCOs are used to?
3 - Does the money really go as far as the Serco website suggests and is there a reduction in salary until validations have been achieved?
4 - Is the provided housing of a good standard and in good locations?
5 - Is there a good ex-pat social scene? For the unmarried (male) ATCO, are there enough single western women out there to prevent enforced celibacy on grounds other than personality?!?
6 - Is there any bad blood between locals and ex-pats due to the "war on terror"?
7 - Is there a career path to speak of, or is a posting in UAE best seen as something to do for a few years before returning home (UK in my case)?

Thanks in advance to those who reply. I'm off to check out the guide books and see about a recce/holiday!

Red Dragon
9th Jan 2004, 04:52
Check your PM's

Red Dragon

Fly Through
9th Jan 2004, 15:01
Hi L'n'L,

I'm working in Dubai at the moment and this is how I see it:

1. As usual in this business your colleauges are great but management sucks! Equipment is ok but improvements are on the way (inshallah). We get on with the local ATCO's just fine, they have a somewhat different work ethos to us but that's all part and parcel of experiencing a different culture;

2. I'll say it again, management sucks but that's true of everywhere (who ever thought that atco's would be good at man managing?). Trying to do way too much with too little for too long but par for the course in atc really;

3. Especially with the exchange rates at the mo, the money is crap but you still manage to have a great life out here with it. Think new cars, diving trips, dining out all the time, good holidays etc and you'll be getting close;

4. The singles accomodation allowance 55,000 AED a year which isn't flash but will cover 95% of the cost of a decent 2 bedroom apartment in town. If you go further out (half an hour away at most) you can find good housing for cheaper.

5. Good social scene??? :cool: Think fantastic, more clubs, bars, restaurants and women than you can shake a stick at!! Huge western ex-pat population, notorious quote:"What's the best thing about Dubai? 1500 Emirates girls. What's the worst thing about Dubai? ONLY 1500 Emirates girls!" Loads to do to keep you busy in the desert, in the mountains and on the water. Think permanent med holiday;

6. No not really, UAE is a major stopping off point for western forces in the region and as long as you respect the local culture you have no problems at all;

7. Not a career path as such but if you want it we're expanding fast and openings in training and management are coming up all the time.

There's lots of things to moan about but then we're ATCO's and that's what we do :} but the lifestyle is great and I'm sure the exchange rate will recover eventually!! Been here about 4 years, used to work in Al Ain too so if you've any more questions then drop me a line.

Rgds FT

Ps. If you do come for a recce thendefinitely drop me a line and I'll show you how we rough it out here :ok:

Lock n' Load
9th Jan 2004, 22:56
Fly Through, thanks for the post. I've left a PM for you. Now, I must think of a light bulb joke involving Emirates girls...

360BakTrak
13th Jan 2004, 02:26
How much experience do SERCO require? I tried applying couple of years back and never heard back. I then tried ringing and got fobbed off!

Fly Through
13th Jan 2004, 06:34
360BT

Think it's 4 or 5 years at an 'international' airport officially, this is kinda flexible depending on who you speak to. I would avoid at all costs going through the website or the support office in Abu Dhabi, try going direct to the relevant contract manager.

PM and I'll point you in the right direction........... hang on I should be discouraging new recruits!! How else will we force a pay rise?? :}

Rgds FT

Fox3snapshot
16th Jan 2004, 08:20
As a recent recruit I will have to say my treatment has been exceptional and whilst the money isn't the best, you have to factor all the sundries and trust me it adds up. Add to this equation the different costs of living in the various parts of the Middle East and I am finding myself better off on 40% less money in my new location....I use the beer and McDonalds equation to arrive at this figure!

In my very limited experience my concern is not with the management of said company, but the contract arrangement which is quite unique to say the least.

The best aspect of the environment so far is the individuals that make up the coalface (Controllers, Techs and the like). They hale from many diverse and interesting parts of the world and all have something valuable to share professionally. Social scene is sensational too, which I have to say actually outweighs any of the touchy feely operational aspects that have been mentioned prior to this comment!

I will let you know in a few months if I feel the same way, assuming I am still on the internet at that stage as the special home for broken down and disorientated controllers may not allow contact with the outside world!

:8

granny smith
18th Jan 2004, 04:43
Lock'n'load

The (personal) view from Dubai:

1 - Is there a good working envoirnment with decent kit and good relations between local and ex-pat ATCOs?

Working environment could be better - we're chronically short of staff (a global problem) and the equipment is pretty poor. There is lots of new kit on order so this should get better in time. There are no problems between locals and ex-pats. We have different outlooks on life, the universe and everything but that's part of the attraction. In the past no-one failed to validate here. Strange that, given the failure rates in the rest of the world. Therefore some of the locals (and expats too) aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer. This is no longer policy and our new young nationals are of a good standard generally. They need to be due to traffic increasing by 17% pa.

2 - Is management and more or less supportive than most ATCOs are used to?

Depends what you're used to. Serco management is ex-NATS and is pretty professional. DCA management leaves a lot to be desired especially at unit senior level.

3 - Does the money really go as far as the Serco website suggests and is there a reduction in salary until validations have been achieved?

Money goes a long way here as long as you aren't sending any back to the UK due to the woeful exchange rate at the moment. Cars a very cheap so you really can have that big 4x4 or Merc you've always dreamed of. Standard of living hre is many times better than the UK. Also, unlike the UK, it isn't pissing wet all the time and you won't get murdered.

Money on joining is 150k Dirhams which is frankly crap. After 2nd validation or 5 months whichever is sooner goes up by 20k to 170k Dhs (currently 6.8 AED to 1 UKP) which is better. Thereafter by annual pay rise or promotion.

4 - Is the provided housing of a good standard and in good locations?

Company still has accomodation on a compound in Jumeira but housing market is opening to expats so can buy own property. Many pros and cons of that. The single / married no kids housing allowance of Dhs 55k will let you get a decent but small place in town such as an apartment. You can also get a small villa further out of town too. Married with kids allowance is Dhs 75k which'll get you a decent sized place away from Jumeira.

Many people slag off Serco but from talking to people who work for other companies our housing allowance is pretty generous.

5 - Is there a good ex-pat social scene? For the unmarried (male) ATCO, are there enough single western women out there to prevent enforced celibacy on grounds other than personality?!?

Social scene is brilliant. Unless you are plug ugly you'll get a woman - if you are plug ugly don't depair as you can always pay - speaking Russian would be an advantage!

6 - Is there any bad blood between locals and ex-pats due to the "war on terror"?

Nope - UAE is pro west. Foreign mil come here for R & R.

7 - Is there a career path to speak of, or is a posting in UAE best seen as something to do for a few years before returning home (UK in my case)?

Don't expect to gat a promotion. Although unit is expanding and traffic is soaring there are problems getting DCA to pay for extra staff. Also promoted posts can be a poison chalice as you are held rsponsible for things you would not be in NATS. Also there is no union protection here. Those of you who slag off Prospect should try working without any union safety net.

Overall this is a great place to work. Come and try it. Making the first step to leave NATS is difficult. Once you've done it you realise it wasn't so difficult after all. There are plenty of other places in the region or further afield that you can go too. One of the good things about here is the mix of nationalities. It's fun (and frustrating at times too) to experience different ways of doing ATC. I have no regrets about coming here and am in no hurry to move on.

If you want any more info PM me. :ok:

Lock n' Load
18th Jan 2004, 19:05
Granny Smith - I sent you a PM. If it's not there, try PMing back with an email address.