PDA

View Full Version : PPL Written Exams Validity

bobdee
8th Jan 2004, 18:56
Does any know the time period during which all JAR written examinations have to be passed in? Some confusion seems to exist. The CAA Website and LASORS states an 18 month time slot but the section of Lasors talks about a 12 month time slot when the RTR written exam is part of an approved PPL course. Phoning the CAA gets nowhere and my Flying Club is unsure. Any one have the definitive info.? I would hate to get everying completed and get the license refused on a technicality. ( my problem is I passed the Air law exam 14 months back, the rest since then in a 12 month slot)
Tks

BD

montster
8th Jan 2004, 20:19
I'm pretty sure it's 18 months. I took about 14 months to do the lot and the CAA gave me a license so I reckon that must be right!

Thumpango
8th Jan 2004, 21:34
It is definitely is 18months. This changed about a year ago last September but some flying schools haven't caught up with this yet as I found from my experience.

jethrobee
9th Jan 2004, 01:31
Hi all,

I thought you had to pass all of them within 12 months, but once you have them all passed you have 18 months to complete your training.

I was in a situation where I hadnt completed all my written exams within 12 months so had to retake some of them so that I have completed them all.

Rgds
Jeth.

Saab Dastard
9th Jan 2004, 04:04
Jethrobee,

Sorry, you are incorrect - the others have it right.

18 months from the date of passing the first exam to passing the last. You then have 2 years from the completion of the last exam to taking the skill test and applying for the licence (I think the exams have to be in the validity period when the application is sent).

Interesting question - if you took your first exam BEFORE the period was extended to 18 months, do you have 12 or 18 months?

Jethrobee, you may still be right ;)

SD

FlyFreeWbe
9th Jan 2004, 05:10
I took my first exam in June 2002 when it was the 12 month thing. After researching it tho, once september hit (dunno if t'was 02 or 03) then it automatically extended to 18 months. I finished my exams just before Christmas last year (makes it sound a while don't it?) and was well within time frame.

bobdee
9th Jan 2004, 22:34
Hi Folks,
Mant thanks to all those who have contributed. It seems the CAA accept the 18 month time slot, but the following extract from the current LASORS Sec. B is the root of the confusion.

Validity - The RTF written examinations and
practical test are valid for a period of 12 months for
licence issue. Where a candidate completes the
examinations for a FRTOL in conjunction with a
course of training for a JAR-FCL private pilots
licence, the validity of the radiotelephony
examinations may be extended to 24 months from
the date of passing the last PPL theoretical
examination, provided that all examinations are
passed within a 12 month period and that
application for both licences is made concurrently.
PPL holders who subsequently apply for a FRTOL
will be required to meet the 12-month validity
requirements.

This seems to say that the Radio Licence extended validity clause only applies if the Written RTF paper that is normally part of the PPL course, is completed with the other papers, in a 12 month slot.

Probably best leave well alone, but maybe this section of LASORS needs an upgrade or at least a clarification.

Tks again

BobD

FlyingForFun
9th Jan 2004, 23:03
Bobdee,

I've searched the whole of LASORS Section C (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/Lasors_Section_C.pdf) (the section on PPLs), and I can't find the bit that you've quoted from anywhere.

The relevant section is in C1.3, and reads:An applicant shall be deemed to have successfully completed the theoretical examinations for the JAR-FLC PPL(A) when awared a pass in all of the above examinations within a period of 18 months. A pass will be accepted for the grant of a JAR-FCL PPL(A) during the 24 months from the date of successfully completing all of the theoretical knowledge examinationsI can't see how it could be much clearer than that. :confused:

FFF
----------------

bobdee
9th Jan 2004, 23:25
FFF
Absolutely agree but the section I quoted was from section B, the Flight Radio Telephony operator's license. What my club queried was the fact that for 99% of PPLs a radio TX license is a must and a PPL without one wouldnt suit most guys, so maybe thats why many flying clubs still say that a 12 month spread is the requirement.
Regs
Bob D

FlyingForFun
9th Jan 2004, 23:36
Ooh, don't think I've ever had a proper look at Section B before. Hold on....

<Pause while FFF reads Section B>

Ah - I see what you mean! Yes, that's very confusing, isn't it.

Seems to me, having read the section you're talking about now, that Section B is wrong, and that the bit you quote should refer to the PPL exams being passed within an 18 month period. Otherwise, it wouldn't make sense in the context of Section C. I wonder if someone like BEagle could shed any more light on it? Otherwise, maybe one for the CAA to answer?

FFF
--------------