PDA

View Full Version : Manchester frequency

Ian_Wannabe
7th Jan 2004, 21:07
Hey there,
I'm one of those scanner listener kinda guys and for quite a while now i've not heard anything on 124.2 (manchester control - I think)

I was told ageeeees ago that the frequency had changed but wasn't told what it had changed to.

You see, living where I do - 124.2 was the most busy and clear station I could pick up!

So, whats the new frequency (if there is one)

Thanks in advance :ok:

Ian

bagpuss lives
8th Jan 2004, 02:46
At this stage I have to remind you that listening to airband communications without a licence, or the authorisation to do so directly contravenes the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949.

If you were to wander over to the AIS website though you could find the answer to your question easily - so I'll tell you here with the proviso that you don't listen to it ( :p ) and so that we all appear to be lovely fluffy bunny-esque type helpful sorts - the "new" frequency for Manchester STAFA / South East is 134.425MHz.

Hope this helps :cool: :ok:

P.S For any future queries of this nature try http://www.ais.org.uk
It's a right riveting read :D

vintage ATCO
8th Jan 2004, 03:09
pedant award bid . . . . :p

It's the Wireless Telegraphy Act 1949, there's no 'and' about it ;)

VA

bagpuss lives
8th Jan 2004, 03:12
Good point, well made :ok:

EGCC Rwy 24
8th Jan 2004, 04:03
Manic laughter crosses the threshold of Rwy 24 Right........

Nogbad the Bad
8th Jan 2004, 04:44
Hi Ian

Don't worry about the BS *grins at colleagues*......

134.425 is usually the frequency in use...if it's busy then 133.4 is used for SE, and at night 133.8 is used instead of both the others mentioned.

Hope this helps....keep up the enthusiasm :ok: :ok:

bagpuss lives
8th Jan 2004, 05:07
I've decided after some considerable thought (makes a change for me) that I rather like the sound of those there pedant awards so.....

134.425MHz is frequency used by the "bandboxed" STAFA and TRENT sectors. When things get busy (very very often with this sector as it happens) these two get "split".

When this split is in place 134.425MHz is STAFA only (that is : the airspace to the West of an imaginary line drawn between Manchester and Lichfield) and 133.4MHz is the TRENT sector (the airspace to the East of this imaginary line)

As my good colleague says, during very quiet periods (usually 2200hrs-ish to 0600hrs-ish) the whole South East sector is bandboxed onto the frequency normally used by the Manchester East Sector which is 133.8MHz.

Other frequencies you would get some joy on *if* you were authorised to listen to them are 128.05MHz (TMA West - probably covers the airspace above your head Ian dependant on your exact location ), 133.05MHz (Isle of Man / Irish Sea), 118.775MHz (Sector 29 - lies above the TMA sectors FL195 - FL285), 125.95MHz (North Upper), 125.1MHz (North Lower), and lastly (and probably leastly in terms of traffic) 128.675MHz which is the delight that is the mighty Pennine Radar.

If you used to receive 124.2MHz well then 128.05MHz, 118.775MHz and 133.05MHz should all be equally strong at your location. And probably the others too.

Or at least they would be strong if you were allowed to listen to them.

Which of course, you're not.

As I said :ok:

Ian_Wannabe
8th Jan 2004, 07:56
haha.... hmmmmmm.... ofcourse I have a licence.... :rolleyes:

but thanks anyway guys - I'm a PPL student with a licence to learn good R/T, so thats my reason behind listening to such stations!

But thanks anyway, your help is greatly appriciated

Ian

250 kts
8th Jan 2004, 16:00
"I'm a PPL student with a licence to learn good R/T"- Well then why would you ever want to listen to a Manchester frequency then????????????????;) ;) :D :D :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ian_Wannabe
8th Jan 2004, 21:11
haha handbags at 12 paces, aaannnd.... go! :p :p

windsock9
8th Jan 2004, 21:21
Ian! You the man.....:8