PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Malaga/Gibraltar

Trislander
6th Jan 2004, 21:20
Hello!

I'm off to Malaga in a couple of weeks and was considering hiring a PA28 from Aero Club de Malaga and flying around the area and possibly down to Gib. Anyone had any experience with A.C.d.M or know whether it is possible to fly VFR into Gib? Will being British make any difference?

Any info you could provide me with would be greatly appreciated.
Many Thanks in adv.,

Trislander

140cherokee
6th Jan 2004, 22:05
All flights in Spain (inc. local) require a flight plan. As far as I am aware, any flight plan from a Spanish airfield to/from Gibraltar will not be accepted.

Flew with Aero Club Bahia de Malaga last summer. Highly recommended. Malaga's zone is huge and VFR flight is not above 1000' (watch out for the 3000'+ lumpy bits!) all the way to Marbella! Their fleet seemed pretty reasonable, however the 172 I rented had no altimeter on the P1 side!

Malaga ATC's English is interesting (glad I flew with instructor!), such as 'make good position' (?) when taxiing behind Easyjet 737. Also, there are a number of mandatory reporting points along the coast that are out of radio range due to the mountains; just make the call but don't expect a response!

Have fun.

topcat450
6th Jan 2004, 22:08
I looked into doing this last year, and the same conversation recently cropped up again - so I maybe flying that way myself before the summer.

IIRC you're not allowed to fly from Spain into Gib direct, all to do with this fued that makes the Spanish think it's theirs. You'd have to go via somewhere, else, ie Tangere's or somewhere in Morocco (airfield near Casablanca anyone?). Flying into Africa there maybe some club rule with hiring that may prevent that. I also remember Gib has special charts detailing the wind & turbulence which can be expected - They're available from the RAF. I'm 99.9% certain VFR is allowed.

I don't have any experience of A.C.d.M myself.

Trislander
7th Jan 2004, 02:05
That's interesting guys, thanks.

Topcat, do you mean that in order to fly into Gib from Malaga i'd have to go via Tangiers or can i not fly into Gib on any flight originating from Spain?

Does anyone have any good short-medium length VFR landaway trips in the Malaga area you can recommend instead?

Cheers, Trislander

alphaalpha
7th Jan 2004, 03:28
Trilander:

I flew from Malaga using the Bahia de Malaga aeroclub facilities a year ago and also tried last week (and failed, but that's another story).

The apartment/car deal that the aeroclub do is good and I would reccommend it. The cars are pretty beaten up, but at least you don't have to worry about them too much when you park.

Contact Mariam at [email protected] if you haven't done so already.

You can not fly direct from Spain to Gib. If you want to land at Gib then you need to fly via another country - Tangier is most convenient. BUT you must file your flight plan 24 hours in advance. Also via Tangier on the way back. The club can help.

If you don't want to do this, phone Gib ATC in advance and ask for a flypast and circuit of the rock. I got it OK. Do take the Gib VFR plate with you because your route is very close to prohibited areas and you need to carefully follow marks specified on the plate. I understand the Spanish authorities take infringements seriously. Very, very worth while trip. The club has the Gib plate.

You can download VFR and IFR plates from the Spanish AIS site. Sorry, I haven't got the url to hand. It's something like aena.org.es. If that doesn't work, I think you will find a link from our AIS site.

You can buy maps locally, but if you want to do some planning in advance, buy the Jepp LE-5 map from any of the usual sources.

Some suggestions:

La Axarquia - 700m hard and close to Malaga in the CTR. Free.

Granada - nice airfield, but a fair way from the city and the Alhambra (a must to visit). I think there are buses much of the time.

Almeria - nice flight along the coast, but a boring airfield about 4 or 5 miles from the city.

Jerez - I wanted to go there this year, but didn't make it.

Portugal is also within a day trip (Faro or Portimao) - buy Jepp LP.

There are no other strips close to Mlaga that I'm aware of.

I had no problems at all with Spanish ATC. However, Malaga airport is busy with commercial flights and you have to wait if you arrive/leave at the wrong time. No doubt you will have a check ride and the instructor will fill you in on local VRPs procedures etc.

You need to consider how you will handle wake turbulence; ATC seemed to leave it up to the (VFR) pilots' discretion. My idea was take off well before the heavies and turn upwind as soon as airborn; when landing approach high & steep and land long. It worked for me, but you decide for yourself. You can always refuse the clearance, but you may have to wait a long time.

Beware of the mountains, if (like me) you're used to the flatlands. But most of all, enjoy.

AA

Jinkster
2nd Mar 2004, 18:04
Not a chance flying into Gib from Spain.

Oh...what lovely people those Spanish :mad: are!!!!

See the link and all will be revealed:

http://www.gibraltar.freeuk.com/restrictions.html

However visit Gibraltar - drive or walk across the border, if youre a British passport holder or any other nationality inc. Spanish you will be greeted by a British Police officer in british uniform with a funny accent however going the other way you will be queing for a long time (I was a couple of years back). Fantastic place, enjoy a British pint and the best cup of tea south of the Isle of Wight!!

And I thought the Spanish were in the EEC!!!!!!! :mad: