PDA

View Full Version : Next Fly-In VOTE..............

BRL
5th Jan 2004, 23:50
Here we go, you know what to do........... :)

In Altissimus
6th Jan 2004, 00:42
All of the above :D

Nice to see you've resurfaced after New year BRL. Any hint of a date (or at least a month)?

NinjaBill
6th Jan 2004, 03:31
Hmm, quite a choice there,

lets see...

from Sherburn, near leeds,

Shobdon seems quite a hike, and a dodge round Birmingham
Liecester looks good, is there much there? but has 3 runways
Shuttleworth is a bit further,but i havent been before, and it looks interesting, but only one runway could crosswind be a problem?
Coventry - well its got plenty of runway, but does it have somewhere to eat and meet? a GA terminal seems a bit formal ... but ive never been, can someone comment?
Duxford - its always an interesting place, somewhere id like to fly to, rather than just turning up in my car.
Gamston - well, its a bit too close for my liking, but its a nice enough airfield, but not a great deal to see. Although there is a big DA40 simulator to have a play with...

I vote for duxford, just cos its somewhere id like to fly to, an as i think it would be an interesting place to visit

Geoff

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Jan 2004, 03:42
Erm, this poll software needs fixing. This should be a STV election, not FPTP.

BRL
6th Jan 2004, 04:18
Thinking of the first week of April. Any other suggestions welcome and will do a poll if too many come up.

AerBabe
6th Jan 2004, 06:05
Coventry is very nice, and the new 'GA Terminal' helps. However, if you're planning on visiting the museum, you can only walk there by the main road ... and it will take a while.

Duxford has been done.

I vote for one of the others. Although I probably won't get to go anyway. (Money reasons) :(

Keef
6th Jan 2004, 08:46
First week of April - like April 3rd? That'd do nicely!

After that, it's Holy Week and I'll be a tad preoccupied till April 12th. Then might be flying far far away on a nice vacation :)

Kingy
6th Jan 2004, 09:39
Aerbabe,

*in a jewish accent* 'Money Schmoney you don't need moneey'

Well not if you don't mind arriving in a tatty old relic with a dodgy radio and no heater.

I'll pick you up :ok:

Kingy

AB pawns family heirloom and hires plane

Circuit Basher
6th Jan 2004, 15:53
Have voted for Shobdon, but am moderately flexible (depends on where I am at the time - a move south of the Border may be on the cards if plans come together). I thought Sandtoft had quite a few thumbs up in the other thread (except from knobbygb, as it's barely walking distance for him!).

FlyingForFun
6th Jan 2004, 16:35
Thinking of the first week of AprilI must finish my Flying Instructor course by the first week of April.
I must finish my Flying Instructor course by the first week of April.

Actually, I must start my Flying Instructor course before I can think about finishing it. I hope I'll be able to make the fly-in, and if I can then any of the suggested places sound good. Duxford, as AerBabe says, has been done. Coventry has also been done, although it was a Bash, not a Fly-in (AerBabe, you haven't forgotten that, have you?) So my vote is for any of the others.

FFF
--------------

AerBabe
6th Jan 2004, 17:30
No, I haven't forgotten that. :rolleyes:

Kingy - Thanks for that. Although I did misread the post as "arriving WITH a tatty old relic". :O It would be nice to have a play in the good ol' cub again. Which means we have to find an airfield with a suitable a/c to park next to again. :ok:

AB doesn't have any heirlooms left to pawn.

BlueRobin
6th Jan 2004, 17:37
Old Warden. Interesting things are afoot in terms of restorations and layout. However grass and length would scare off many

BRL
7th Jan 2004, 02:21
3rd April would be great. I am away from the 8th for a while so that would be good if the 3rd was ok.

I will put a number of dates up for vote next week.
Your suggestions here please.......

knobbygb
7th Jan 2004, 16:59
I'm sticking to the original idea and voting for Leicester, although I'm quite happy going anywhere really. April 3rd would be good.

Any Sherburners wanna share?

Shaggy Sheep Driver
7th Jan 2004, 17:04
Hmmm. CG's headed south again (Shuttleworth, Duxford last year).

I've voted Shobden, but Leicester would be OK.

SSD

DRJAD
7th Jan 2004, 18:19
Date does not, at this remove, matter too much. Though I would prefer a weekday, rather than Saturday/Sunday.

The main thing is to see what date is ultimately decided in sufficient time to be able to book an aircraft!

(One does rather favour Coventry, owing to the ILS.)

{Knobbygb - plse. check your PMs.}[SIZE=1]

FlyingForFun
7th Jan 2004, 18:31
Drjad,

I can't help thinking that, if the ILS is required, it will be a very small event wherever it is.....

FFF
--------------

DOC.400
8th Jan 2004, 04:26
"I can't help thinking that, if the ILS is required, it will be a very small event wherever it is....."

Bwahahahahahahahahaha -like your work FFF!!! :ok:

DOC

AppleMacster
8th Jan 2004, 05:23
I'd love to meet everyone, having read this forum since I started my PPL. Meeting at Coventry needn't be in the GA terminal, there are a couple of pubs within walking distant from what I can remember of my mis-spent youth in the three spires...

Evo
8th Jan 2004, 15:35
Mmm... rather close at the moment! :)

DRJAD
8th Jan 2004, 17:27
FFF,

I'm sorry if I seemed to imply 'required'.

I meant that it would be comfortable to have the option, though I entirely take your point.

AerBabe
8th Jan 2004, 18:37
AppleMac - There has been a lot of rebuilding at Coventry over the last couple of years, so the only pub within easy walking distance is the Oak. Need I say any more?

AppleMacster
8th Jan 2004, 19:07
Aerbabe

The Oak - I see what you mean. Awful.

Is the Old Mill too far to walk? My parents mentioned it the other day:

The Old Mill (http://www.oldmillhotel.com/)

Brooklands
8th Jan 2004, 20:44
Well, I've voted for Gamston, mainly because its the only one of them that I haven't been to! Having said that I'd be happy to go to any of them. Old Warden is definately interesting, both as a place to visit, and in terms of being slightly challenging to get into (ie short runway, with trees at the sides).

Brooklands

Saab Dastard
9th Jan 2004, 03:55
There's not much to do at Gamston, although the caff's not bad. We've done Duxford, apparently Coventry has also been done and it's a bit of a hike to see anything.

Dunno about Leicester and Shobdon

So I've voted for Old Warden.

:D

SD

AerBabe
9th Jan 2004, 16:37
AppleMacster - The Old Mill is nice, although it is part of a chain. However, it would be about 20-30 min walk from the GA terminal. No problem for a hardened mountaineer like myself, but your average PPL who complains about having to walk more than 2 min to the a/c might have more issues.

SaadBast... - Coventry has been done for a bash a couple of years ago, but not for a fly-in. A fly-in would be good there, but later in the year when the weather is more picnic-friendly.

Skypartners
10th Jan 2004, 04:55
Spoke to the big boss today and, if you decide on CVT, it'll be a flat £5 landing fee with all day parking. Lunch can be sorted at a great pub nearby called The 3 Horseshoes and the owner is also an airport-based taxi co. so can probably be pursuaded to do the honours in his minibus.

Depending on number we might get a Dak out for as run - when they do the classic open days flights go for about £35 a head. If you can get a planeful up it'll certainly be a fun excursion.

Let me know

Marc Bond
Skypartners
Coventry's GA Managers

Keef
10th Jan 2004, 08:19
Oooh! A DC3 ride would achieve one of my long standing ambitions!

A go at poling one - now that's beyond dreams!

Yes please!

Evo
10th Jan 2004, 19:01
Coventry suddenly sounds like a fine plan to me too...! :)

S-Works
11th Jan 2004, 03:35
Definately gets my vote if we can get a DC ride! Coventry is a cool place, Lets go!

Whirlybird
11th Jan 2004, 04:05
Can I change my vote then please...to Coventry.

BRL
11th Jan 2004, 05:04
Ok, let me know what you voted for and I will change it for you taking one off and adding one.

I am away for the next few days down the west country and wont be back until late Monday night so I will not be able to do it untill then.

You lot can run wild around here if you want but remember the other big feller knocks about around here too........ :E

Gertrude the Wombat
11th Jan 2004, 05:14
Can I change my vote then please... Told you it should have been an STV election :)

Rod1
11th Jan 2004, 05:23
Can I change from Leicester to Coventry please.

Rod1

Done.(Brl)

knobbygb
11th Jan 2004, 15:03
me too!

With 60 voters so far, and 17 for Coventry, I hope they have one of those new, stretched DC3-400's ;) :\

Whirlybird
11th Jan 2004, 17:28
BRL,

I voted for Old Warden, so please change it to Coventry.

Old Warden's still my second choice, as the ony time I've been there was for my CPL tech exams, and I'd like to fly in, and be there under nicer circumstances! But Coventry's beginning to sound rather good.:ok: Anyway, in the event of bad wx I can drive to Coventry, but Old Warden is a long haul.

Done. (Brl)

Stampe
11th Jan 2004, 17:33
A Dak ride and tour of the historic bits by Skypartners would really top the visit!!.Don,t forget that with the new locost airline starting at Coventry it will soon become really busy with 737 traffic.Agood time to visit before it follows the usual pathof commercial development.I suspect its going to develop really fast.:ok:

S-Works
12th Jan 2004, 00:11
BRL, can you change mine from Leicester to Coventry as well!!!!:D

Done.(Brl).

Penguina
13th Jan 2004, 19:51
Oooh! I had voted for Leicester and its lack of crosswind, but you know, I think on reflection I've been underrating Coventry all these years.

Any chance of changing it then?

(Am off to tell Penguinetta where to go... ;) )

Done (Brl).[/I]

DOC.400
13th Jan 2004, 22:27
I voted for Coventry originally :D

Wonder if Saab minds if I change my handle to Smarg Bustard...

;)

DOC

MikeeB
14th Jan 2004, 00:25
Another interested party from Sherburn.

DRJAD: Your email has been going boing for the last couple of days from me.

DRJAD
14th Jan 2004, 16:46
MikeeB,

Just PMed you about that.

knobbygb
14th Jan 2004, 19:27
So, it's looking more and more like Coventry all the time. Had we better start choosing a date then we can make the DC-3 arrangements and book our own aircraft etc.

If only half the voters turn up it's still going to be one of the biggest fly-in's we've had.

BRL
14th Jan 2004, 21:07
Ok, sounds like a plan. Wherever it ends up I suggest Sat April 03rd.

This poll on the venue will remain open here until the end of the month. There is another thread on the vote for the date.

DOC.400
14th Jan 2004, 21:15
I'm free!!

Plane booked.

DOC

S-Works
14th Jan 2004, 23:24
I am in. Date is booked in the diary and it will be a very short hop! Looking forward to the DC-3

Skypartners
15th Jan 2004, 03:19
Hi guys

Can we avoid 3rd April - that's the first weekend of passenger services (they launch 31st March) so I think I need to give ATC a break for the first week. May I suggest no earlier than 10th?

Marc Bond
Skypartners

BRL
15th Jan 2004, 03:28
Hi Marc. Early indications show the 3rd as the prefered date for the fly-in. Absolutely nothing I can about that at all I am afraid. If it is the first weekend of passenger flights then we could simply book as passengers for the 3rd or does it not work that way? (That is of course assuming we go to Coventry, this vote for where to go will be open untill the end of January.)

P.S. what is up with your web-site? All I get is a blue page... :confused:

LowNSlow
16th Jan 2004, 17:56
I'm with Skypartners please, please make it after the 6th April so that I don't miss yet another Pprune Fly-In :sad: :sad: