PDA

View Full Version : Singing the blue(tooth)s ...

FullyFlapped
5th Jan 2004, 22:49
Well, OK, it's a crap joke but at least someone might join the thread !

Does anyone use a bluetooth GPS unit in the cockpit ? I'm considering doing just that, but am just a little worried (unfounded, I'm sure) about interference with all the other gubbins I have. Any words of wisdom guys?

And since I'm on a role, anyone know if it's possible to retrofit an autopilot to a C172 ? Big job ? Anyone any experience/guidance/suggestions as to who I can talk to ?

Thanks!

FF (not to be confused with FFF :ok: )

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Jan 2004, 01:29
FF,

I know nuffink about blue tooth but you can retrofit the S TEC A/Ps to most aircraft so think that this would be possible to a 172.

Depending on model and country of registration and whether someone has done it before to that model will make the difference between an affordable or costly exercise.

FD

charlie-india-mike
6th Jan 2004, 02:01
FF

I have used a bluetooth GPS receiver in various PA28's and it did not seem to cause any problems.

Receiver on top of dash and ipac on kneeboard

C-I-M

Tall_guy_in_a_152
6th Jan 2004, 03:51
There was a brief thread on Bluetooth here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113212) just before Christmas.

TG.

baldwinm
6th Jan 2004, 19:33
I've heard of somebody who had an S-TEC fitted in a 172 for £7,200 by Mann of Fairoaks. Might be worth trying CSE at Oxford too.

I would like to fit an S-TEC in our 172 but don't think the rest of the group would agree to cough up. :(

bookworm
7th Jan 2004, 01:18
Does anyone use a bluetooth GPS unit in the cockpit ? I'm considering doing just that, but am just a little worried (unfounded, I'm sure) about interference with all the other gubbins I have.

See this FODCOM (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/FOD200119.pdf) for some CAA guidance. Given the usual attitude from the CAA on approving anything that hasn't been used in aviation for 50 years already, the following is perhaps refreshing! :)

Studies (reference 8.10) have been completed which show that the interference risk in aircraft from PEDs with a Bluetooth transmitter is sufficiently low to permit their use during non-critical phases of flight i.e. Bluetooth devices need be subject only to the general restrictions applied to non-intentional transmitters.

KCDW
12th Jan 2004, 04:05
c-i-m

I have an IPAQ 2215, and a Compaq laptop with infrared. The only way the bluetooth works if I have the IPAQ point directly at the infrared, with no obstructions. Consequently I have little faith in Bluetooth working in the cockpit environment. Do you not have any signal interruptions in your configuration?

Thanks

charlie-india-mike
12th Jan 2004, 04:27
KCDW

Bluetooth and infrared are not the same things. I would be supprised if you could get bluetooth to intreface with IR.

IR is as it says optical and requires direct line of sight.

Bluetooth is v.low power radio in the Ghz range i think.

They are two different protocols.

C-I-M