PDA

View Full Version : Leicester Airport

wagon pull
5th Jan 2004, 21:35
I'll be moving to south leicestershire in a couple of months and wondered if anyone can tell me what Leicester is like to base at. I have a metal aircraft so whilst hangarage is prefered it is not essential. Any other suggestions local to Leicester would be welcome.

ToryBoy
5th Jan 2004, 22:17
Have only been to Leicester a couple of times in the last 3 months and iseems to me to be an excellent field to be based at. I believe there are lots of club activities and although there is loads of hangarage I can't say I know what the availablity is like.

There is plenty of Class G around and about and the A/G is very relaxed (perhaps too relaxed!).

Timothy
5th Jan 2004, 22:37
ToryBoy

Although I cannot agree with your politics := I cannot but agree with A/G is very relaxed (perhaps too relaxed!).I once declared an emergency and diverted there and they didn't even alert the AFS (which was available) ! :*

Will

ToryBoy
5th Jan 2004, 23:22
WCollins.

Don't really know why I chose ToryBoy. Although staunchly right wing I do think there is one advantage of having a sweaty top lipped arse seagull as PM...... his speeches are peaches!

His "weapons of mass distraction" was the cherry on the cake two days ago!

Sorry to hear about your emergency. Was all okay?

S-Works
5th Jan 2004, 23:36
I am Leicester based. You are screwed for hanger space but outside available. PM me for the details.

B

IO540
5th Jan 2004, 23:41
No hanger space? Isn't that going to restrict the resident aircraft to certain (old) types?

Timothy
6th Jan 2004, 00:03
ToryBoy

In the good old days of WH and IDS, Tony was actually well to the right of the Tories, but now you have got Dr. A. Cula to lead you I suspect that they could give one another a good run for how right wing they can get.Sorry to hear about your emergency. Was all okay?Yes, thank you...turned out to be a shattered mag which was doing something to drag the other mag down, in an AA5B, so I limped in.

I've had a lot of engine failures, which is why I rarely fly singles any more.

Will

S-Works
6th Jan 2004, 00:06
IO540, sorry I don't understand the question! The hangers are all full at the moment with aircraft stacked down the middle of the hanger which is causing some hanger rash problems.

As an airfield despite some of it's failings it is a great place to be.

Flyin'Dutch'
6th Jan 2004, 01:42
TB,

Live just too far away to fly from Leicester but from regularly visiting the place it seems very nice with a decent cafe and good facilities.

6 RWYs hard and grass and reasonably priced fuel. Open most evenings in the summer so an excellent place to fly from/to in my opinion.

Some people have in the past complained about the lack of rigid adherence to what they see as the way to fly but to be honest I have so far never encountered any problems (which I appreciate does not equate to a scientific experiment!)

Thursday evening is Curry night and I have been known to fly over for just that as it is very nice.

Have a look and make up your own mind!

FD

Capt. Manuvar
6th Jan 2004, 03:58
Bose-x is right about hangar space. I've seen the instrustors try to fit all the aircraft in at the end of the day, and its a bit like a game of "airplane twister".
I did my PPL and night there over the past few months and it seems a decent place. Occasionally, taildragger will deviate from the circuit pattern and try to land on one of the grass runways (or the kingair that only takes off from 10/28...he doesn't have a choice, does he?).
little traffic during the week, and like ToryBoy said lotsa class g to the south and east.

DubTrub
6th Jan 2004, 04:44
Capt. M, how do you mean "deviate"?

BTW, I hope the traffic you refer to was successful in its landing attempt!

DT

Cusco
6th Jan 2004, 06:43
Leicester's a nice enough place: easy to find, runways soft and hard opointing every which way but loose.

Caff's cool, bacon sarnies excellent \; guests enjoy sitting on 1st floor conservatory watching the world go by.........

My problem is the A/g or what ever it passes for........

The last three times Ive been there (always ariving from the east) I've had a barney with someone.

First time I was described as no. 1 on final, and about
1 mile out on final when a small aerbatic bipe on base carved me up and landed ahead of me: Hid did carry on taxying and vacated seconds before Ilanded.

Did have the good grace to come and find me and apologise for the carve-up.

On another visit
One microlight pilot thought my 2 mile final call time gave him time to nip in ahead of
me but our relalative speeds meant I was up his chuff in no time and had to go around.

When I landed and asked him he had honed his carving up skills at Comton Abbas his response was a little old fashioned.

Third time I arrived (and our Excellent Arrer2 is very happy at135KTS, I overhauled at some speed and 20 miles to the east an inbound high wing(slower) Robin single (dunno what)

Next thing I know he' bollocking me over the radio. for my standard overhead join getting in the way of his (much slower)direct in final.

Even came storming over to me to the pumps to keep up the diatribe.

Fortunately I looked him in the eye with one of my Steve McQeen gazes aaaannnd ventured that i was number 1 and he had mis read the a/g. I actuall heard the a/g warn him I was ahead and invited him to take it up with a/g.

Went awayblustering and didn't see him again till the bar.

Thought about buying him adrink but changed my mind.

SSSSSSooooooooooo When I go to Leicester I try to make sure there are 3 pairs of eyes looking out and three sets of ears listening to radio traffic for spacial awareness, while I do both as well as talk to the guy on the ground.

not put me going off going there though, but I'personally prefer something norfer.

Could Sandtoft be added as a bit more inspirion thas Gamston.

Safe (eyes & ears open ) flying

Cusco

Wide-Body
6th Jan 2004, 16:51
Capt Manuvar

From your post """Occasionally, taildragger will deviate from the circuit pattern and try to land on one of the grass runways """"

Isn't that the reason for the grass runways to be there . Anyway it is the most fun in the world when you are deviating in a taildragger;)

Watch those tricky 4 mile finals:E

regards

Wide

S-Works
6th Jan 2004, 17:01
Like I said, Leicester has it's vagries and the standard of airmanship shown can be poor Cusco's comments are very true and unfortunatly are not isolated instances.

But all in all it is a nice place to be and very flexible as an aircraft owner.

B-X

:ok:

G-KEST
7th Jan 2004, 04:10
Hi folks,
Leicester is my base and has been for the last six years with my 1/3rd owned Skybolt. Make no mistake it is, in my considered opinion, one of the finest members club aerodromes in the country. The A/G at weekends is run by a rota of volunteers of which I will be one when the CAA produces my licence to operate the ground station. Our club operates some fine if a little ageing Cessna 152's including two Aerobats, a PA28-180 and a PA28-161. We have a lot of hangarage compared with most UK GA aerodromes at reasonable rates; far less than darn sarth where I would need to remortgage my house to pay for it. Hangarage also is inclusive of landing fees and that does make it an absolute bargain. Our bar/restaurant attract plenty of visitors as well as a steady flow of club members the year round. We have our Burn's Night on 31 January but I am b******d if I am hiring a kilt - just love haggis, tatties and neeps. Anyway enough advertising just what makes me love Leicester. You can go on the wait list anytime and at least we hgave hardstand or grass to park on. Really saves getting your shovel out after rain at some places. Pay us a visit and give me a shout.
Trpaaer 69