PDA

View Full Version : Flying in Hong Kong

AerBabe
5th Jan 2004, 16:39
I'm off to Hong Kong for a couple of weeks in February or March, and it would be nice to do some flying (if I can afford it) while I'm out there. I've found the Hong Kong Aviation Club, who offer aeros training in a Firefly with Bob Tandy. Has anyone flown with this club before, or know of another?

Tall_guy_in_a_152
5th Jan 2004, 23:58
When I was in HK a few years ago I looked into organising a fixed-wing pleasure flight / checkout. The only possible airfield was way out in the New Territories and not easily accesible by public transport.

istr that it was shared between GA and the PLA:uhoh: . I only had 5 days so didn't persue it, but since you have two weeks then it could be fun :ok: A local contact with a car would come in handy.

TG

BlueRobin
6th Jan 2004, 17:26
I believe Dragon Cargo have a few Boeings. ;)

bluskis
7th Jan 2004, 02:20
Flew with the HK aviation Club in 1984. They operated out of Kai Tak then. I believe Kai Tak is no longer operational, and I would think it unlikely the new airport on Lantau have any GA facilities.
There was a British military air base, whose name escapes me without the help of my log book, and where you could do a touch and go without incurring official wrath. Perhaps HKAvClub are now based there. it was about 20 aerobatic minutes from Kai Tak.
20 years is too long ago to give a worthwhile opinion on a flying club, but how many non comercial pilots have HK in their log book?

Tall_guy_in_a_152
7th Jan 2004, 04:34
This is a good picture of Kai Tak today (OK, a few months ago). A sad loss. Nothing much will be landing there. No sign of any heli activities, which is surprising.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/459100/L/

TG.

Taildragger55
7th Jan 2004, 21:29
Military base was Shek Kong.
Did some skydives there about ten years ago. They were remarkably decent to an inept Mick given that it was a military base with the odd recoilless rifle lying about.
Half the runaway then was under an internment camp for illegal immigrants and the odd skydiver was prone to land inside the wire.
I gathered that there was private flying in HK but the airways were so busy that ATC kept sending one off for the odd 45 minutes to hold over one or another of the islands.
Great place, is HK.

bluskis
9th Jan 2004, 14:53
I remember having to hold for close to an hour just clear of Kai Tak, by which time even the sight of the stream of 747s turning sharp right just before the checkerboard on the nearby hill had lost some of its interest.
Could small planes operate from the short runway stub at the ocean end of the original runway?

paulo
9th Jan 2004, 21:04
Oh I think if your short field landings are top notch it could be worth a try, though I have heard the facilities have gone downhill a bit. :p

Dan Winterland
10th Jan 2004, 06:11
There is no private flying at the new airport. The HK Aviaiton Club still operates out of Shek Kong, but as it's now a Chinese Military helicopter base and there are a lot of restrictions - flying only takes place at weekends. Also, Shek Kong is quite a way north in the New Territories and is not that easy to get to on public transport. The club does welcome visitors who want to fly. Details on their website at www.hkaviationclub.com.hk

sottens
10th Jan 2004, 18:39
A fellow PPL student of mine has just done a flight w/instructor in HK. It was apparently on a military base - not flexible and quite expensive if I remember well. Basically doable, but not big freedom.
if it helps

fu 24 950
11th Jan 2004, 20:53
HK aviation club is still based a Kai Tak, club house and private helicopter op's.. Fixed wing ops take place at the former British Shek Kong base an the weekend only due to the new owner's (PLA), Better to take a helicopter ride with one of the local operator's (heliservices HK ltd ) I flew a UK couple today, he had a uk ppl(a) and was last seen leaving the pad trying to convince his better half why he should that helicopter lesson's